Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
If you have MFD2 and RVC from factory, you have RVC rev. C. Go get the VCDS auto scan to make sure.

Dealership. PN: 7L6972726

Your existing plug is a female 18 pin connector. You would have to open it, pull out the pins (you need tiny flat screwdriver to press the pin tabs) and slide them in the new 26 pin connector according to the pin out (PM me, maybe I'll find the wiring diagrams in PDF for both 18 pin and 26 pin).

If I recall correctly, the new 26 connector uses one ground pin for 4 signal (R/G/B/Sync) grounds (pins 5, 7, 8 9), so you have to combine all 4 of these grounds into one pin. Soldering or crimp lug (picture below) highly recommended:

I have not heard about any, but I did not really look. I prefer hard wiring methods :D .
maloosheck, I had time to run Vag Com (VCDS from Ross Tech) to find my RVC control module is 7L6 907 441 "C". Looks like I will be ordering a control module from Kufatec. Want to make sure I can use the existing wiring as long as I put a new end on the wiring harness to match up to the 26 pin connecter on the VNS 510 which I can get from them as well. Do you know or did you use the same wiring? Would rather not run the new harness if I don,t need to.The shop guys at Kufatec, state I need the "C" instead of "B" but I am more inclined to believe you. Thanks for your help.

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
If you have MFD2 and RVC from factory, you have RVC rev. C. Go get the VCDS auto scan to make sure.

Dealership. PN: 7L6972726

Your existing plug is a female 18 pin connector. You would have to open it, pull out the pins (you need tiny flat screwdriver to press the pin tabs) and slide them in the new 26 pin connector according to the pin out (PM me, maybe I'll find the wiring diagrams in PDF for both 18 pin and 26 pin).

If I recall correctly, the new 26 connector uses one ground pin for 4 signal (R/G/B/Sync) grounds (pins 5, 7, 8 9), so you have to combine all 4 of these grounds into one pin. Soldering or crimp lug (picture below) highly recommended:

I have not heard about any, but I did not really look. I prefer hard wiring methods :D .
maloosheck, you are a wealth of info. I am waiting for 26 pin connector and hopefully I can continue my install. I am wondering about the Sirius antenna. Can't figure where it was connected in the old MFD2 unit. The RNS 510 has a place to plug it in (green plug). Do I need to order one and disable the other Sirius feed. Do you know where it actually goes into the old unit. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
394 Posts
maloosheck, you are a wealth of info. I am waiting for 26 pin connector and hopefully I can continue my install. I am wondering about the Sirius antenna. Can't figure where it was connected in the old MFD2 unit. The RNS 510 has a place to plug it in (green plug). Do I need to order one and disable the other Sirius feed. Do you know where it actually goes into the old unit. Thanks for any info.
Old external Sirius tuner is located at the back where comfort module, CD changer and Dynaudio amp are. I believe it might be available if you open the trunk right side cover. You have to:
1. Disconnect it completely: I believe it has 3 plugs: power (2 pins AFAIR), audio out + CAN BUS (6 pins AFAIR) and antenna
2. Get antenna extension and route the antenna to the RNS unit (never done it as I am waiting to pull the carpets off my car to wire all my additions at once)
3. Recode the CAN-GW to disable this external Sirius tuner.

·
Registered
596 Posts
So tues i plan to install this new cable I ordered from eBay. Can I go from the rns510 to the antenna? Or do I have to do what you mentioned above?

·
Registered
596 Posts
ok guys

finished up tonight with all of the labour stuff...
the satellite radio extension cable worked like a charm. Ran it up the back side from the old sat radio controller to the rns 510 via the rear upper sail panel. then along the headliner edge to the a-pillar. Removed the a-pillar, under the dash then into the rns510

so as of right now I need to figure out what vagcom coding I need to do
*9w3 coding -bluetooth
*rvc coding, currently putting it into reverse nothing is happening... followed the pin out diagram
*7 button steering wheel control coding

finally one thing I havent read almost anywhere is that the aux input on the mfd2 is very different from the rns. so you'll have to follow this

***If you have an external CD changer like the MFD2, you can swap ground pins 2 and 3 on the 12 pin plug. If you have an aux-in on the old radio you have to swap pin 3 (aux ground) and pin 2. Also swap pin 5 (aux R) and pin 7. The old satellite radio pins are useless because the new radio has an internal satellite radio module. (CD CHANGER IS WORKING FINE currently)

gonna research the coding now.. if anyone has any insight please post!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm currently doing the installation with the helpful guidance of IROCNParts. Upgrading the MFD2 in my 2008 V10 to an RNS510. Installed the headunit this weekend, ran the Sirius extension cable earlier today, and recoded the RNS510 for Dynaudio.

Next steps over the course of this week are:
AM/FM cable replacement (need adapter for the two wires to one)
Camera install (C module to B and harness change)
Complete Bluetooth retrofit (9W7)

Happy to help anyone with any questions. I have no prior experience with auto wiring or VagCom, so it has all been completely new to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2 to 22
12 to 10
11 to 23
13 to 11
14 to 12
16 to 25
7 to 4
17 to 13
8 to 9
18 to 26
Thanks to person who gave this to me.
No responsibility if incorrect, but am sure this is correct.
Hope it helps.
Thanks for posting this! These pins worked for me upgrading from an RNS2DVD to a RNS510 in a 2008 Touareg. **however, I don't have a new backup camera module yet, so I haven't been able to see if the wiring will work for the camera function**

One thing I didn't see anywhere was how to get the antenna aerials (brown and white) from the RNS2DVD to the RNS510. My RNS510 came with chopped cables from the donor car, so I was able to just transfer the radial antenna leads into the connector. I put them on in the same way (brown lead toward the middle of the RNS510, white lead on the outer edge) and it worked fine on my 2008.

The only other issue we ran into was what a pain it was to get the radio into the dash. I was afraid I was going to crack the faceplate I had to push so hard. Perhaps my wires are all in the way in the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just an update for those who read this later - my post above mentioned we did not have the reverse camera module. We do now and the camera is working great with these pin changes.

Here's what is NOT working:
- No Aux In - VCDS reports a problem with the wiring for Aux in and it does not work
- No Sirius - we hate the low bitrate of Sirius, so we just unplugged this and removed the module

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just an update for those who read this later - my post above mentioned we did not have the reverse camera module. We do now and the camera is working great with these pin changes.

Here's what is NOT working:
- No Aux In - VCDS reports a problem with the wiring for Aux in and it does not work
- No Sirius - we hate the low bitrate of Sirius, so we just unplugged this and removed the module
I cut the wires from the aux input and rewired them directly to the back of the rns510. The old wires run through the Sirius cable setup somehow it's quite goofy. Or maybe it was thru the cd changer. Regardless if you wire it direct the problem is resolved

Either that or install a 9w7 Bluetooth module and have Bluetooth audio!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Either that or install a 9w7 Bluetooth module and have Bluetooth audio!
I think this is the ticket -- I just haven't found a idiot-proof step-by-step for the 9w7 install or we'd be all over it =) I did see that wiring looms are easy to find on eBay, so I guess that is half the battle.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think this is the ticket -- I just haven't found a idiot-proof step-by-step for the 9w7 install or we'd be all over it =) I did see that wiring looms are easy to find on eBay, so I guess that is half the battle.
just be aware the steering wheel phone controls won't work with the 9w7 in the earlier years. IE 2008 and prior. 2009-2010 I'm unsure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello :)

I have Touareg 2008 and original rns 510 (7L6035680A) in there.. But I got new rns510 (7E0035680D). Everything is working except one scrolling bottom on the steering wheel. Is there any possible to enable this bottom?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I recently acquired an RNS 510 (7L6035684B) with the following bits, MDI module, Bluetooth W3 module, Can Bus module, GPS antenna, and some other pieces. I going to have them installed in my 2008 V8 TREG. Do you have a step by step of the process you went through and of the all there other parts you had to get to make it work?

Much appreciated if you can share what you have.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Canbus isn't needed for your 2008 as it is already 2.0 can bus system. Requires some wiring pin changes. Some changes with satellite radio as the rns2 radio you have factory has a separate Sirius box in back trunk but rns510 is built in. Just search on here rns2 to rns510 and you will see the step by step. I'm on vacation in Greece and only phone access so cannot paste it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So how to access sirius in the rns-510 that I retrofitted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Reactions: demiannyc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey H-Towntreg. i'm looking for the same answer. Trying to find some parts right now but don't really see anything.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts