Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Same boat, Newbie RNS510 questions for 09 TDI

Sorry to thread hijack, seemed a good place to ask. I have been looking at aftermarket gps/nav units, but now I am considering a used RNS 510 to retrofit to my 09 Treg TDI Highline (Canada), currently has the regular non-nav radio but I think the 11 speaker setup. I want a rear backup camera, satellite radio, iPod/iPhone interface, and bluetooth. Confused about what additional parts I need, have read +++threads on the forum and don't quite understand it all. Can someone (gently) answer my questions:

1. I am canbus 2.0, so I assume plug n play for my vehicle
2. Where does a bluetooth module attach, and where does it sit when installed? Which module do I want? Does it have a built it mic or do I need an external one.
3. Will the RNS work with my existing satellite radio roof antenna for sirius xm, or do I need to buy something different;
4. Do I need a GPS antenna for the NAV? What and where do I buy?
5. Is there a VW specific part for ipod/iphone cable for this unit, does it run to the glovebox or routed elsewhere?
6. Will any rear camera work (with RCA connector), or do I need a specific VW camera and installation;
7. Do I need to buy other wiring harnesses, etc?
8. I don't understand about vag-com programming at all; will I need to find someone with this capability to program different functions of this unit?

Before I get flamed by people smarter than me, I have done much searching on here and would welcome your help! Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
After buying $80 in cable and trying to install i learned that..... 08+ don't need this fix :( anyone want an diversity antenna adapter??

Don't forget to rewire the diversity antenna..otherwise AM/FM reception will not be great.
Also PLEASE SOMEONE WHAT ARE THE PIN OUTS FOR THE REAR VIEW CAMERA SWAP :) :) :) PLEASE :)

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
hey guys, all my parts for my RNS510 swap as well as my 9w3 bluetooth kit have finally shown up. Im planning on making a vid of the install. One issue, im completely retarded at wiring. Ive got the new end for the rns 510 reverse cam plug and the pinout diagram but Im wondering if someone out there can help tell me which wires go where from the rns2 to the rns510.

The rns2 has a 18 pin harness with only 16pins used and the rns510 has a a 26 pin harness with 20 being used... so what im trying to figure out is basically this

RNS 2 goes to RNS510
1 blank
7 20
8 8
9 21
10 blank
16 25
17 13
18 26

so if you can help please do! I will also provide this summary in my vid for anyone else who wants to do the swap
Finally, with the extra wires are they important at all? Gregtay has used this setup for a while but unfortunately never responded to my requests....

thanks a lot guys/gals

heres the pinout

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
IROCNParts any luck on your transfer of wires from the RNS 2 plug for the backup camera to the RNS 510 connector? I have been looking for an adapter for that very thing. Would like to hear if anyone has had any luck with this?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
2 to 22
12 to 10
11 to 23
13 to 11
14 to 12
16 to 25
7 to 4
17 to 13
8 to 9
18 to 26
Thanks to person who gave this to me.
No responsibility if incorrect, but am sure this is correct.
Hope it helps.

Reactions: simon.zhouxiao

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
Rear camera

Thanks wannabe. Curious about the vag com adjustments? Appreciate your help. I have the unit ready to go except for rear camera. Would like to find a male RNS plug for the rewire any ideas.
Thanks again.

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
Good morning, Wannabe. Could you tell me if your pin placement for the RNS510 works for both versions "B" or "C" of the rear view camera control module? I am waiting for a Vag com before I can tell which version I have in my 2008 Touareg. I understand I may be out of luck if I have the "B" version. Hoping some goods news from you. Thanks for any info you may have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you buy the midi adapter? I did the same swap on my my 2010. Blue tooth module was already present. I don't remember the VAG codes but there are instructions out there. I had to code for the phone and MFD. I can always look if you get hung up. BTW, there should be wiring diagrams on the radio cases to guide you through the pin changes. The link has some instructions, not specifically for Greg but coding was the same if I recall correctly.

http://www.mfd3.com/category/diy_instructions/

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Ruddy, sorry, no idea!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Could you tell me if your pin placement for the RNS510 works for both versions "B" or "C" of the rear view camera control module?
Rudy, differences between B & C versions (EU models) are firmware and not hardware, therefore plugs do not change. VAG adjustments need to be done however can't provide specifics.

Attachments

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
Thanks evaddirb. Just to make sure are you referring to back up camera version ?

Also any chance I can get the source of the table pasted in your reply that shows pin placement?
Thanks much

·
Registered
597 Posts
Rudy, Back up camera version ????

RNS510 is a unit which I bought as part number 7L6 035 680 B
Source is from the instruction manual.

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
Version difference

We are talking different animals. I think you are referring to the actual RNS 510 which does have different model versions (B,C,D) where as the back camera module has different versions as for the 2008 Touareg2 model. I am trying to install the RNS 510 and found my back up camera has a different plug than what is in the back of the RNS 510. Previous in this thread their is a schematic and pin# interchange to from my MFD 2DVD plug to the RNS 510.
I seem to get mixed feedback whether this will allow me to use my existing back up camera. I did here that if I my backup camera is version "B" and not "C" it won't work. Would like to get this verified. I need to get my car Vag Com-ed to find out whet version it is. Would love to hear from someone that has had this same situation with their '08. I am committed since I did buy a RNS 510. I pulled my unit out to find out it was OEm built by BlaupunKt w/ Dynaudio. The 510 is an Oem Built in the Rep. of Check. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
Rudy, the manual states that when replacing rns2 with rns510 all you need to do is change the plug as per my previous attachment.
My MY08 did not have RC installed so was not required when I did my upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Gents, as Maloosheck says. The RNS510 needs the type B Camera Controller.. ( B suffix ) Type C only works with RNS2.

·
MLaRu
41 Posts
Thanks hedditch, my 2008 T2 has MFD2 so it sounds like the RVC is version "B" which can be used with RNS 510.
Would anyone know where I can get the large plug (26 pin I believe) that fits into the female RNS 510 plug? My existing plug on the wire coming from the the rear view camera (RVC) is an 18 pin male plug? If someone knows of an adapter the can be used I would appreciate the info?
Thanks much

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks hedditch, my 2008 T2 has MFD2 so it sounds like the RVC is version "B" which can be used with RNS 510.
If you have MFD2 and RVC from factory, you have RVC rev. C. Go get the VCDS auto scan to make sure.

Would anyone know where I can get the large plug (26 pin I believe) that fits into the female RNS 510 plug?
Dealership. PN: 7L6972726

My existing plug on the wire coming from the the rear view camera (RVC) is an 18 pin male plug?
Your existing plug is a female 18 pin connector. You would have to open it, pull out the pins (you need tiny flat screwdriver to press the pin tabs) and slide them in the new 26 pin connector according to the pin out (PM me, maybe I'll find the wiring diagrams in PDF for both 18 pin and 26 pin).

If I recall correctly, the new 26 connector uses one ground pin for 4 signal (R/G/B/Sync) grounds (pins 5, 7, 8 9), so you have to combine all 4 of these grounds into one pin. Soldering or crimp lug (picture below) highly recommended:

If someone knows of an adapter the can be used I would appreciate the info?
I have not heard about any, but I did not really look. I prefer hard wiring methods :D .

21 - 40 of 79 Posts