Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have been reading tons of posts on here but I am unable to convince myself I have the right answer.

I have acquired a gently used RNS-510 that I would like to install

I have a 2008, It has the newer MFD (color screen), The original Navigation unit is installed (The reason for the upgrade). My egg has the backup camera installed from factory.

Is this just plug and play? My dealer isn't too anxious to install it, as they said they have tried before and failed. I assume it was a < 2007 egg that they tried to upgrade the deck in. But I am willing to pay whatever costs to have them install the deck.

I read in one post that I will need an adapter to make the backup camera work. Is this true?

Do I need anything else to make this work. Any tips I can give the guys at the dealer when they go to install?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
It should work since both your Treg and the RNS 510 are canbus 2.0. Not sure about the rear camera. It takes 5 minutes to pull out the unit in the dash and to plug in the RNS510 so why not take the 5 mins to try? Get the radio removal tools, pull whats in there out (less than 1 min), unplug old unit, plug in new unit, turn it on...you will know right away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention I have dynaudio. So I assume I will need to get some vag-com programming done? I am also unsure of the sirius install part. I have an adapter in the trunk where the cd changer is. But the navigation right now is not hooked up to it. (Tried to enable it but it didn't work and the dealer said I didnt have the proper connection) I guess there is another adapter between the deck and the rear antenna adapter. The new deck has the Sirius antenna with the magnet, so I just use this one and forget about the rear components?

I would pull the deck myself, but with all my vehicles previous; when re-installing the trim pieces I can never quite get it back to the way it was before the install - and I don't want to break any of them on the way out.

Unless you know of a tutorial or a how-to, I will probably leave it for the professionals.

Thank you for your help thus far

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Do a search on the forum - huge information on how to do things, even for dumb heads like me:confused:

Reactions: Ewie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said in the first post, I've read 100 posts and they are all not exactly what I have on my plate

People with can-bus 1.5 or whatever, people with newer versions. I cant find an exact fit with an answer. Lots of posed questions like mine, but with no real conclusion

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
Like I said in the first post, I've read 100 posts and they are all not exactly what I have on my plate

People with can-bus 1.5 or whatever, people with newer versions. I cant find an exact fit with an answer. Lots of posed questions like mine, but with no real conclusion
You have CANBUS 2.0, so no issues there. You mentioned pulling the radio and dealing with trim and such. Nothing like that on the Touareg. You get the four removal keys, put them in each of the four slots at the corner of the radio, unlock then the radio pulls out. It is just that simple. You just need to make sure when reinstalling it you firmly push it back in until it clicks since there is a micro switch in there that is tied into the hood release and will not allow your wipers to work as well as give you a hood ajar warning. That said it is an easy job to remove and install, just get the removal keys. As far as integration you just have to remove the old and see what actually plugs up to the new then go from there. Your Dynaudio I doubt would be an issue other then coding the radio to boot up saying it has it. I don't think there is anything the radio needs to be coded for specifically.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have acquired a gently used RNS-510 that I would like to install

I have a 2008, It has the newer MFD (color screen), The original Navigation unit is installed (The reason for the upgrade). My egg has the backup camera installed from factory.

Is this just plug and play? My dealer isn't too anxious to install it, as they said they have tried before and failed. I assume it was a < 2007 egg that they tried to upgrade the deck in. But I am willing to pay whatever costs to have them install the deck.

I read in one post that I will need an adapter to make the backup camera work. Is this true?

Do I need anything else to make this work. Any tips I can give the guys at the dealer when they go to install?

Any help is appreciated.

1. You need different plug for the camera video harness at the headunit. RNS-510 uses 32 pins (I believe), MFD2 uses 26 pins. You can reuse the wires and you do not need any extra ones. If you can buy adapter, it will be even easier.

2. You need different camera control module. RNS uses B revision, MFD2 uses C revision. Once you swap them, you need to do the camera calibration procedure (special tools required).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I forgot to mention I have dynaudio. So I assume I will need to get some vag-com programming done? I am also unsure of the sirius install part. I have an adapter in the trunk where the cd changer is. But the navigation right now is not hooked up to it. (Tried to enable it but it didn't work and the dealer said I didnt have the proper connection) I guess there is another adapter between the deck and the rear antenna adapter. The new deck has the Sirius antenna with the magnet, so I just use this one and forget about the rear components?
Dynaudio is just a matter of RNS coding.

Sirius is a different thing: you need to unplug the Sirius tuner at the back, code it out in the CAN-BUS GW (as far as I recall), and you could use the antenna extension cord to connect the Sirius antenna on the roof (connected to the Sirius module originally) to the head unit. Or use the magnet antenna, but it will look awful :D. The fenders are plastic in Touareg so you could try placing this antenna somewhere under the fenders. Just make sure it is not covered with metal sheet.

CD changer works fine with RNS, except for I have tried 3 of them and all made terrible noise in my speakers, so I will eventually swap to MDI.

I would pull the deck myself, but with all my vehicles previous; when re-installing the trim pieces I can never quite get it back to the way it was before the install - and I don't want to break any of them on the way out.
No need to touch any trim pieces, just place 4 keys in the RNS holes and pull out the headunit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks gents.

I might look into these keys since I had no clue how easy this is to do.
I just contacted Part Source (Canadian Auto Parts Carriers) and they rent them for free!

I would rather do it myself and go to the dealer for programming.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Skiiirt, if your in Toronto i know where to buy them for $10.

I'm doing to the RNS-510 in my 08 v10 right now and i cant find the pin outs for the rear view camera connector. i found a page with a link to one but the link is dead. Any one have a copy?

·
Registered
596 Posts
lol I am in the exact same spot as you, I just msged gregtay as he has done this before! Please post any updates you come across in here

·
Registered
60 Posts
you actualy don't even need the this, just the plug at the end.

Actually... i just learned i don't even need the new wiring harness!! I just need to take the plug from the end of it (the one that plugs into the RNS510) and repin the wires from the old wiring harness (new plug(it bigger) and the pinouts are different.. but the wires coming from the camera controler are the same.... super simple.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Don't forget to rewire the diversity antenna..otherwise AM/FM reception will not be great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is this what you where talking about Nickm?
I got a chance the other day to install my diversity antenna bypass. I noticed the reception to be iffy with the diversity box in place. Installing the bypass has completely fixed the reception issue.

Basically you buy two antenna leads from vw, and one connector. There are two double plugs from the diversity box, one is for the rear window antennas(white 90 degree angle connector) and the other (black flat connector) is for the side windows, which are the ones you want to use. Ive read that when vw got rid of the diversity box in the facelift touaregs that they only use the side window antennas.

then put together in the double connector

The connectors you'll be working with

Then finally the two single leads plug into the white connector, and tan connector.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Yes.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts