Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Come out with your friends and join us in Moab May 18-May 20!

Several regular Touareg offroaders are gathering for an extended weekend May 18-May 20 to challenge the famous slickrock trails in legendary Moab Utah. We expect to catch arrival dinner May 17. Surreal landscape and near full moon conditions encourage us to take a dark run on Sunday or Monday night.

Moab is a prime outdoor playground located along the Colorado River 30 miles south of Interstate 70 in eastern Utah. Nestled between Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, Moab offers a wide range of outdoor activities including bicycling, river rafting, and offroad. Some of the most infamous offroad trails and obstacles are locating in the Moab area; it is the site of the weeklong Jeep Easter Jamboree. Slickrock, essentially petrofied sand-dunes and named for its effect on wagon wheels, offers extreme traction when dry, allowing your vehicle to make climbs not possible in other conditions.

Our proposed trail list includes "Fins and Things", "Hells Revenge", "Tower Arch", and other trails the group will select daily. While Touaregs have an open invite, you may invite friends with other offroad vehicles including Jeeps, FJ’s, Land Rovers, 4Runners, and Hummers. Its a great chance to compare notes and show off the Touareg. Some of your friends may want to challenge Hell’s Gate or Hot Tub; I think we can offer a decent cheering section.

The Moab trails we are challenging are intermediate to advanced on the offroad rating spectrum. Uphill and downhill slopes of 30 to 40 degrees, with slopes up to 60 degrees will happen and happen early. Prior offroad experience and comfort in offroad settings is highly encouraged.

Adventurers should have a properly outfitted vehicle with full-size spare. High clearance is preferred. If you have run the Colorado Ouray Rally, you should be ready to elevate your skills to the challenge.

You should be prepared for possible damage to your vehicle. In a gathering last October, both steel suspension Touaregs suffered mild rocker panel dents and scuffs; dings to undercarriage supports and suspension; and brush pinstripes. Far worse damage is possible and as an offroader, you should already know the inherent risks you take upon yourself journeying through rugged mountainous terrain.

We’re prepared to have a blast!! Looking forward to having you out on the trails with us!

Watch for more information on the Touareg Rally Site http://www.touaregrally.com

A video from last October can be found on YouTube.

Some other great YouTube Videos include

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
I regret to inform that the Hammock family will not be able to attend this year. It's just too hard with two young ones.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like we have a fine core group of Touareg off-roaders coming out.

Hotel Reservation update - Moab is filling up fast with most of the brand name chains sold out. There is still local lodging available. Just picked up a room at the Moab Valley Inn.

I have an email list of those coming out - if you are thinking of joining us, let us know by replying here, by email, or by PM.

Awesome photos will follow!!!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Guys, as much as I want to be out there, a newborn at home is making it impossible for me to get out of town for a recreational getaway.

I will be in that part of the country in October, so if anyone is up to a day in the desert then I'd be in!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Anyone care if my LR3 showed up for a day or so? It would be cool to meet some of you guys and gals.

Jim

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone care if my LR3 showed up for a day or so? It would be cool to meet some of you guys and gals.

Jim
Come on out Jim. Its Touareg and Friends! So yeah, we'd love to compare notes.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
very nice - thank you! Hopefully I can, we'll see how work schedule in NC goes.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
very nice - thank you! Hopefully I can, we'll see how work schedule in NC goes.
It would be cool to see the LR3 in action. Besides, then we can show you how it's really done :p ;)

Hopefully you can make it out.

As a side note, as Arkarch posted above, I'd lock in lodging ASAP if you're thinking about joining us.

Less than two weeks... :D:D:D:D:D

Matt

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
what's the normal daily schedule/itinerary like in terms of times of:

meet, go, hit trails, and with it getting dark much later there now, should I guess not right up until dark either?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what's the normal daily schedule/itinerary like in terms of times of:

meet, go, hit trails, and with it getting dark much later there now, should I guess not right up until dark either?
We'll meet up in the AM (8 or 8:30 or so) at our "HQ". Head out to the trails. Lunch somewhere on the trail. Return. Meetup for dinner at one of Moab's fine eateries or at the "HQ". At a reasonable hour head back to our lodging and call it a night. Last year's HQ was Hap's rental duplex.

With near full moon conditions (Tuesday night is full-moon) we may look at visiting some of the slick at night. The landscape is already alien-like; under the full moon I hear its unreal. Just depends on the prevailing group interests.

We'll likely have an arrival dinner/gathering Saturday night. If you get in early, there are two National Parks in the area; with Arches literally a few miles away. We may go through Arches if we visit the Tower Arch area like last year. Tuesday evening will be short, as I know VegasMatt and I will be getting back on the road to Vegas that evening.

Drop a pm with contact info so we can phone-tree everyone on starting meet-ups.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well, the lr3 is packed and all ready (moving some toys to Seattle on this trip too) so, maybe I'll actually make it out there in time.

All you pansies lodging in permanent structures? - Maybe I could borrow someone's shower ;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the lr3 is packed and all ready (moving some toys to Seattle on this trip too) so, maybe I'll actually make it out there in time.

All you pansies lodging in permanent structures? - Maybe I could borrow someone's shower ;)
I'm sure we could figure something out for you :)

I did some primitive camping with a few other offroaders in the high 10000' meadows above Bishop CA area last fall. Its quite a nice experience. The Touareg back area is slightly too short - but I removed one of the fold-up seat bottoms and now have 6" more stretch room.

With three nights in Moab plus a long drive in and back, I'll go with the room.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like we have 6 vehicles - 5 Touaegs and 1 Land Rover - VegasMatt, RickAnns, Hap, orttauq, Arkarch and jwestpro. If I missed anyone, please email or pm any of us with contact info.

Saturday Night - Dinner

Sunday - Tuesday - 8 - 8:30 AM gatherings, we'll figure out where to head next. Nothing formal - just a bunch of offroaders exploring the area. We'll probably visit some of the National Parks and look at Indian writings and such in-between slick rock expeditions. Moab is also known for mountain biking, rafting, and other outdoor activities.

Radios - We should have FRS 7-7 (Karl), CB Channel 34 (Arkarch), and Ham 2m (KF6VOM) Simplex 144.37 Repeaters 146.76 -/88.5 or 146.90 -/88.5. Email or PM us for cel phone #'s. One of us may APRS a live location that can be tracked on Internet. Some of us are staying at the Moab Valley Inn.

And we'll try to post up some favorite shots nightly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts