Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was coolant leaking on the driveway one night and coolant res. Was low. Looked underneath and saw a trail of coolant running down the oil pan. we pressure tested the cooling system and found coolant coming out of this pipe (attached pics) so we’re thinking it’s the o ring that has gone bad. But we’re having trouble getting the line out, anyone know something? Should we just yank it out or is there something holding it in place? Thanks! 0E0EB17D-3DE2-434D-880B-5DA477FE1A69.png CCA0FF6C-21DE-44F6-B5DB-0AC91823DB08.png

·
Registered
867 Posts
Typical VR6 crackpipe failure. They've been leaking since 1991. I would replace the whole pipe rather than just the o-ring. You will need to remove the thermostat hosing at the rear of the engine in order to remove the crackpipe. Might as well replace the thermostat housing with thermostat while you're at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh really? Didn’t know that about the VR6 thanks for the info! I’ll take the thermostat out then and hopefully get this out. I’ll look for cracks too on the pipe. Would they usually crack on the inside where the o ring would be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh really? Didn’t know that about the VR6 thanks for the info! I’ll take the thermostat out then and hopefully get this out. I’ll look for cracks too on the pipe. Would they usually crack on the inside where the o ring would be?
Does anyone have information on how to replace the thermostat housing? Currently have a leak at the point the housing connects to engine. I’ve purchased the parts, but have had no luck finding any guidance (written or otherwise) on how to replace this part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts