Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 T2 and lately it’s been making a horrendous screeching noise at idle and only idle. Can’t see anything obvious and can’t narrow it down. What should I heck first? 4.3 FSI

·
Registered
6 Posts
At the rear of the valve cover is a black rectangular box-like feature with a ribbed hose going to the intake manifold. Follow the hose to the black box, and right above the hose connection is a hole.

At idle, put your finger over the hole. If the sound you hear changes, it’s a blown-out PCV valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At the rear of the valve cover is a black rectangular box-like feature with a ribbed hose going to the intake manifold. Follow the hose to the black box, and right above the hose connection is a hole.

At idle, put your finger over the hole. If the sound you hear changes, it’s a blown-out PCV valve.

Oops, thought it was a 3.6. Still worth a look at the PCV valve. Highest vacuum is at idle.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have you had the engine hood open to check on the belts. They can have a way of screeching when on the way out. When you apply power they tighten up and stop making noise until they fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An easy way to check you PCV valve is simply to unscrew the oil cap and feel if there’s resistance breaking the seal to remove it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still screeches with the oil fill cap off. It's not like a belt screech or squeal. Best way to describe it is that it sounds like the NOAA storm warning screech.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do the engine revs fluctuate at tickover?

You will need to watch the rev counter needle very closely as they might only vary by 50 rpm.

You can buy new rubber diaphragms - this is what splits and makes the stuck pig squealing noise - to repair the PCV on the 3.2 and 3.6.

Others may advise on the V8 PCV.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
PCV usually sounds like a bit of goose honky going on gets lounder over time and doesnt just happen at idle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do get fluctuating revvs at idle by about 50RPM or more from time to time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
See how cheap it will be to replace the diaphragm in your PCV. If you can do that for a few bucks then personally I would do it to see if it fixes the noise.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
its a lot of fun trying to get the PCV apart.

Then you break a tab or to in your 25 min frustration

And you look over at the bench where that lonely little new diaphragm is waiting and you wonder to yourself ...... what do i do with it now.

Id be buying a new one. Not cheap but better than wasting money on a diaphragm which will just sit on the bench reminding you that sometimes not having the right tool and 3 hands and that tight arse self of yours really doesnt always pay off every single time.

Or you could give it a go and look forward to the echo of tinnitus at 2 in the morning repeatedly sounding ... told you so .. told you so .. told you so !!!......

Some have manged to get the PCV apart though..............

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
my 2x OEM PCV's ............ i think it was only 2 ... ok maybe 3x .. ... anyway ...doesnt matter did a couple of PCV's in my previous V8 and worked

seriously if you want to stuff around and have the time awesome ..... wish i did .................. if not buy the bloody replacement and be done with it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts