Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this happen on two other occasions...disconnecting the battery seemed to fix it. This time it doesn't. We had some terrible rain yesterday so I'm wondering if something go wet or shorted. out.

Every system is showing and error and I cannot even get the T2 out of gear.

VCDS can reset some systems while others time out. I was hoping to run through the entire list and reset all codes but that's a no go.

Where is the ECU located on these? Any other components that can easily get wet to consider? Going to start pulling up the passenger seat and checking for water or such soon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: YEs the pass. side floor is pretty wet...the carpet is damp. No standing water. Drivers side a little bit to. Car was parked facing up a hill and never had issues with this before or the sunroof drains as the car spend 99% of it's life in a covered garage.

Any fuses to check?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Does the engine turn over when you try to start it? Can you describe "car won't start" in a bit more detail?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leaving for holiday shortly so won't be able to respond til later today.

All dash lights are on. Every system. Keyless nor in dash key will turn it over. After disconnecting battery I got it to turn over once, car stalled instantly.

VCDS show one fault or all systems it read.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Given the age of the vehicle and the damp footwell, I'd check the wire bundle. Same thing happened to me in my 08. sounds very similar. In essence, there are a couple of wires that are simply twisted together and taped - one of the wires happens to be a CAN_BUS wire. And you'd think the whole car had crapped out. But no. Just a tiny 18 gauge wire that corroded and is no longer making good contact.

FYI - it's about a 1 hour job (or so - varies by mechanical ability). I suppose you could shortcut it and not move the seat and it would go quicker. It takes a bit of doing to move all the carpet, padding, and plastic trim pieces.

Check the last post in this thread.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html

and the last post in this thread

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/touareg-problems-system-fault-brake-assist-etc-87157.html

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
There are lots of electronics under the passenger seat. I would raise it as high as it can go or better yet, remove the seat and make sure everything is dry under there. Maybe after it is dried out it will start.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are lots of electronics under the passenger seat. I would raise it as high as it can go or better yet, remove the seat and make sure everything is dry under there. Maybe after it is dried out it will start.
What specific electronics do you know of...will give it a shot. I think the water ingress with the nose of the car pointing up the hill is prob the prob. Seems interesting design to put that stuff under there for a car designed to go aggressively in the water/mud with that sealed door!

Going to dive back in shortly and see specifically what VCDS says. Seem to recall some shorts.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
1. Follow the path of the ameoba.
2. Then find that water leak and fix it.

From the description, you have been hit by one a VWs infamous bugs, err "special feature", err WTF was factory thinking when they did this?!?!?! >:)

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html#post817033

Given the age of the vehicle and the damp footwell, I'd check the wire bundle. Same thing happened to me in my 08. sounds very similar. In essence, there are a couple of wires that are simply twisted together and taped - one of the wires happens to be a CAN_BUS wire. And you'd think the whole car had crapped out. But no. Just a tiny 18 gauge wire that corroded and is no longer making good contact.

FYI - it's about a 1 hour job (or so - varies by mechanical ability). I suppose you could shortcut it and not move the seat and it would go quicker. It takes a bit of doing to move all the carpet, padding, and plastic trim pieces.

Check the last post in this thread.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html

and the last post in this thread

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/touareg-problems-system-fault-brake-assist-etc-87157.html

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What specific electronics do you know of...will give it a shot. I think the water ingress with the nose of the car pointing up the hill is prob the prob. Seems interesting design to put that stuff under there for a car designed to go aggressively in the water/mud with that sealed door! Going to dive back in shortly and see specifically what VCDS says. Seem to recall some shorts.
Mine has a TCM an ECM and a steering wheel control module among other electronic devices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. Follow the path of the ameoba.
2. Then find that water leak and fix it.

From the description, you have been hit by one a VWs infamous bugs, err "special feature", err WTF was factory thinking when they did this?!?!?! >:)

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/2008-fsi-v6-wtf-just-happened-158025-2.html#post817033
Well I went with my heart and not my head with this purchase so hopefully these "special features" don't prove to overwhelm me. I haven't felt good about owning this thing since I've had it...as our last two Vw were electronic failures.

Car has had two fans in it since this AM with the doors all open. Going out to test it...cross your fingers!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK...what I thought was great news (the car started) is not quite there. Still getting lots of errors and still cannot get it out of the gear to move it into the garage. How the hell do you manually disengage any lock to roll it in N? I'm not going to work on this this thing in the current location plus with more rain in the next few days...the problem is not going to get any better!

Right now the I cannot get VCDS to talk to the Auto Trans and ABS...I was able to clear the engine code. So my goal is to figure out if it's still wet, wiring or a ECU for those components.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
^^ Good start. Don't be upset if it still won't start.

If you scan it and get 10 billion insane errors, then you will know that you need to pull the wiring harness by the drivers side door and fix that stupid splice. I recommend that you do it the right way this time. Heat shrink tubing, solder, and make sure it is waterproof when you are done. Fix it once and fix it to last.

-EDIT-

Oh, you just updated. Yeah, crazy error codes. That crappy splice in the canbus wire in the wiring harness is the problem.

If you can pull up the carpet, find the brown wire, strip it back to good copper, twist it together... you should then be able to pull in inside to finish fixing it correctly.

You can also try clearing the codes, hope for good luck, and restart it... If you get lucky it will go into gear long enough to pull it inside. Worth a try.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks NICKYT but if you reread you'll see I got it started...just not into gear. Any help there would be appreciated!

Any thought that since just some of the systems are offline a fuse or two could be tripped? I don't have the owners manually and trying to find the fuse diagram. My goal at this point is to move the car and deal with the bulls*&t wiring when I get it in my work area.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again...that write up is terrible and going down the wrong path. I found this guys text based write up which got me in the ballpark. I've included a photo of the offending switch for those that find my write up here too.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...e-dragged-onto-flatbed-26769.html#post1557474

OK, car is in garage now so I'll start ripping apart the carpet/wiring shortly. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You don't have to take the whole center console out. Pull up the center trim that surrounds the gearshift lever and work around it. Look at the picture in the thread. Find that little button. Press the recessed white button in while pressing the chrome button on the gear shift lever in. You should be able to get it out of park.

It is not your fuses. The systems are connected thru a network that goes thru that brown wire that is corroded. The "unlock" signal is not getting thru the network to tell the solenoid to unlock the transmission shifter.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Also, in reference to your other post... Don't take the seat out yet. Click the picture on the post below. It should show your how to proceed. Repair any splices you can find and test. If everything is ok, then done. If not, you may have to remove the seat to look for more splices to fix. One thread claimed that they found 6 splices... but it is usually only one or two.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/several-engine-brake-faults-70932-3.html

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
HURRAH! You have it inside!!!

Fix that stupid wiring harness and the electronic gremlins should be gone.

Then dry the inside out and find and fix that stupid water leak.

Nooby is the guy to ask for leak repair. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: All is working!!!

As listed in Aemobias write up...the brown wire fell apart in my hand. I fixed just that one first and did some testing. All was operational . I fixed a couple other wires that really didn't need it. I didn't find the 5-6 splices he mentioned...I saw 3 at best.

FYI: There was no standing water in my T2 and no chance the modules got wet...doesn't mean there is some humidity/moisture but the leak is minimal. It's also on both sides (when parked up a hill) so will bug NOOBY about that one!

Thanks again for your help. I have NO clue how Aemobia or anyone figured this out the first time. Must have been a few sleepless nights.

·
Registered
801 Posts
UPDATE: All is working!!!

As listed in Aemobias write up...the brown wire fell apart in my hand. I fixed just that one first and did some testing. All was operational . I fixed a couple other wires that really didn't need it. I didn't find the 5-6 splices he mentioned...I saw 3 at best.

FYI: There was no standing water in my T2 and no chance the modules got wet...doesn't mean there is some humidity/moisture but the leak is minimal. It's also on both sides (when parked up a hill) so will bug NOOBY about that one!

Thanks again for your help. I have NO clue how Aemobia or anyone figured this out the first time. Must have been a few sleepless nights.
Yay! So glad it was something easy. It's amazing that one little wire can make it seem like the whole car is about to blow up.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I think I just had the seat tipped back. The one thing I did do (once I had the carpet torn up) was to leave it torn up for a day or so to let it dry. Mine was / is my daily driver, so it's a huge pain in the ass for sure, but i wanted it dried out before I put it back together

I found that write up in the first thread. I also had a friendly Service Advisor at the dealership who told me what to look for... He was awesome - described it to me and told me to do some searching. A couple hours of work saved me many hundreds of dollars. Apparently it's something of a known issue - especially here in the snowbelt where the carpet gets wet in the winter.

On another note - make sure you clean your sunroof drains!

blake

1 - 20 of 23 Posts