Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 T2 and it’s ready for the 200K service. If I am not mistaken this one is an engine out service. So, what all is usually done at the 200K mark? I know the timing chains but what else?

Also, has anyone done this themselves?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Official workshop manual service tables for Touaregs only go up to 180.000 kms (~112.000 miles), albeit there are there are some schedule entries that are in the "every X miles" form, which obviously can be applied beyond that limit, too. Also virtually all engine maintenance schedules depend on the actual engine type (which you didn't specify), as does whether a particular repair requires the engine to be dropped or not.

That being said at that age and mileage I personally would just ignore the schedules, and 1. replace/change everything that's supposed to be replaced at half of the recommended interval, 2. have the car thoroughly checked to see what else needs to be done or is coming up as a recommended repair.

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
305 Posts
I was going to suggest the same. If you are approaching 200,000 then repeat the 100,000 service recommendations.

And if the engine is out do any normally hard to reach preventative maintenance you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad on the engine. 4.2 FSI. Everyone talks about the timing chains. I'm at 211k miles now and I've had a couple of Touareg nerds around here(locally) tell me to flat-out stop driving it until the 200K service is done.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It all depends what code your engine is. If it's an AXQ, it has a toothed belt drive, and there's a fixed recommended change interval for that for every 120.000 kms, which is about 75.000 miles. If you have that engine (not likely for a 2008 model year car), then you should find out when the belt was changed last, and if it wasn't in the last 75.000 miles or there is no proof (like a receipt it was done), then you should replace it.

If you have the BAR engine (a 2008 model year V8 should be that), then that's using chains, and there's no fixed recommended replacement interval for that. It's supposedly "maintenance free". That being said nothing lasts forever (and as above VW won't care what you do after ~112.000 miles), so, if you hear chain rattle or just want to be on the safe side and you have no proof that the chain was replaced already in the last <100.000 miles, it might make sense to have it done now. But it's all at your own discretion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts