Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know who you are, but others may not! ;) If you are attending the 2008 Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally, step forward and introduce yourselves.

My Group:
Chris and Christina from Evergreen, Colorado. I started with first organized Touareg off-road event in North America (and maybe the world?) five years ago. Our group was simply a bunch of motivated owners that wanted to explore the mountains of Southern Colorado and meet other Touareg owners that wanted to do the same.

This year brings a new participant with our family: our daughter Julia. She'll be about five months old when the Rally comes around. Our other daughter, Sophia, will be a precocious two years old and will help her Daddy navigate. As always our two Siberian Huskies Abita and Avery will be on hand to help dig out stuck vehicles or pull them out of the deep snow as needed.

We look forward to seeing both old AND new friends in 2008!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sophomore Year attendee... and missed 2006 by a month.l

2006 V6 Base Touareg. Has 32" BFG AT KO's, Air-Jack, VAIR Air-compressor, Staun air-downs; probably a Surco basket soon for the full-size spare. Lots of pointy Ham antennas.

Colorado was great fun and I highly recommend those with interest in offroading to come out. You will find the finest Touareg spotters and guides that will get you through this beautiful mining country.

While I had some offroad experience before Ouray, the experience really drove me to try other areas including Bishop, Big Bear, and Moab. And before I get back to the High Alpines, I'll have revisited Moab and Big Bear. I no longer have small marks - I now have plenty of rocker-panel dents and a full catalog of suspension dings. I even have a second rear plastic bumper to throw on for places where the tail-end scrapes (like Moab).

This year my folks are coming out to Ouray - escaping the heat of Phoenix for a week. They'll be hiding out in the Alpenglow condo while I go off on the daily adventures. Dont bug them too much about going up on trails - suffering from vertigo and escalator fear I'll be happy to get them to Ouray on the highway from Durango :) However I do welcome emails from others who plan to stay in town many of the days to let them know who else will be around.

One of the cool things about the area is learning the history and layout of the area.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like fun!!!!!!!! But as far as damage to the car, how big of a bill did you rack up last year?
Zero. I did get a couple of tire gouges but nothing more.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sounds like fun!!!!!!!! But as far as damage to the car, how big of a bill did you rack up last year?
I had no observed damage. I counted 2-3 tires go out on other vehicles - sidewall cuts mostly on streets. I recall the VW loaner also losing a reflector on a water crossing.

Ouray is not brutal off-road. Its fun off-road with numerous gut-checks.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Tires were the big issue last year!!!! Oy!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ann and Rick will be there for the fifth time. Off the top of my head, Aircooled, Hapster, and us have made them all. We are retired (still cogent and can walk) and are looking forward to seeing all our Touareg friends from across the nation.

Damage?....None in four years.....None in the previous 15 yers of visiting this area in Jeeps and Blazers. Of course, I haven't found anyone to go up Poughkeepsie Gulch with me yet.

Tires?....The BFG's haven't let me down yet....knock on wood.

We have had lots of steelies on the Rally and only Orttauq has bent a cross member. Of course, he was inattentive at the time, but he isn't any more!

We still have a couple of geocaches to find, too.

Rick

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm scheduled in for round 2 this year, and looking forward to it! Off-roading is fun, and seeing all of you again is sure to make things an absolute ball!

Damage-wise, other than a couple minor exhaust scrapes, I suffered from DRPS (Dented Rocker Panel Syndrome) on the last day of the rally last year, which was caused by my own lack of seeing a rock drop-off and coming down too fast. Oops. Moab was less forgiving, leaving both rockers a bit dented, as well as my own personal big oops: A dented tranny crossmember. Not bad enough to misalign anything, but bad enough to pancake the bottom section. Any harder and I may have had a problem. The moral-Keep your eyes peeled and pay attention at all times, and you'll be just fine.

By the way, I'm still going back to Moab. Albeit, I'll pay a bit better attention, but if I minorly dent the rocker some more, oh well. ;)

Anyways, I've got a steel-sprung V6 on 29" Pirelli Scorpion STRs, and will probably be rolling them again at the rally this year. Wanted to get a set of AT's on there, but it's a no gonna happen this a time!

Additionally, we have a bed or two open at the Warehouse this year. PM me if you're interested and in need of lodging, and interested in staying with us.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Billie and Keith will be attending this year as well. It will be my second year and I hope to be on some different tires then last year. The Nokian WR's actually did well for traction. I did not find myself lacking at all in that department but I did suffer a sidewall slice which could have happened to anyone. Shale is not forgiving to side walls. I did suffer a minor rocker ding and I am rolling on a steel suspension as well. Like Matt, I just dropped off of a rock too fast and I think I even know where it happened, so I will approach things much differently this year.

As Matt mentioned, we are looking for a couple more people for the warehouse since we have some openings in the bed department.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Of course, I haven't found anyone to go up Poughkeepsie Gulch with me yet.
Rick
I'll go up there with you !

I may end up watching folks do the obstacle(s). I'd have to see it in person to know if we have a chance.

The trail that fascinates me the most (from a connect-the-dots perspective) is ... Sunnyside Saddle aka Whiskey Pass :

Sunnyside & Hurricane Pass 4x4 Trail, Colorado

It is a short overlook climb just off the route between Corkscrew and Hurricane that takes one up to a high view of "Lake Emma" - the place we went at the end of day 5.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I made a wrong turn and ended up on this trail by ourselves a few years ago. It is very UN-traveled and gets pretty scary pretty quick. Nothing but loose talus, very tippy, and a long way down to nothing. I would have to think twice, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it with some company. Turning around was shaky at the least.

Rick

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I made a wrong turn and ended up on this trail by ourselves a few years ago. It is very UN-traveled and gets pretty scary pretty quick. Nothing but loose talus, very tippy, and a long way down to nothing. I would have to think twice, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it with some company. Turning around was shaky at the least.

Rick
Took a look at it again on Google Earth - the area has got much improved maps now! First part looks like a definite shelf road to walk first to see if the Y is accessible.... nice set of switchbacks and a steep on the second part. Third part is probably not for us. We'll talk more about this one for sure. Probably not a beginner trail - but not Black Bear either.

Time for more greetings!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I know this year is probably going to be impossible, but I am going to try to make it for 09'. I hope i'm not too late by that time because it will be my first time for an event that isn't Drag Racing. It would be really nice to be able to meet you all, and thank some of you personally, for always being there to help. Do they keep a record of who attends every year? I wonder if I can make it to be the first person that is from Chicago?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Laurence (67and maybe retired by July) and dad Lee (93) are also looking forward to round two. We were blown away by the friendly hospitality of all the younger folks.
I came to Touareg after 30 years of driving hydraulic suspension Citroens on mountain roads...just had to have some V10 torque. It still puts a smile on my face, even at $4 a gallon.
We did 2007 on stock Wranglers with no problem. Got one cracked "liner" which covers the rocker...small dent which I PortaPowered out. A driver really needs to be fresh to avoid damage. I won't be trying to commute from Durango this year!
Seriously, it was, as the kids say, awesome!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Laurence,

Glad to hear your Dad and yourself will be making it out. Look forward to seeing you guys again!

About the dent repair, I have two rocker panels I'd like your opinion on :)

Take care,
Matt

PS-To everyone: There is still some room in the Warehouse. We have room for a couple, maybe three people total if we employ the sofa bed. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Laurence,

Glad to hear your Dad and yourself will be making it out. Look forward to seeing you guys again!

About the dent repair, I have two rocker panels I'd like your opinion on :)

Take care,
Matt

PS-To everyone: There is still some room in the Warehouse. We have room for a couple, maybe three people total if we employ the sofa bed. PM me if interested.

I'm new to this site. I live in Alaska and will be driving my '06 V-6 down to Colorado the end of May. Will be there all summer (bummer to miss summer in Alaska). Maybe I can get out to attend the July event; do you do anything on the weekends? I have to work and will not be able to take a week off in July, maybe a monday or friday.
I look forward to meeting some other Touareg folk.

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I am glad to see you and your father will be back out. I was hoping it did not scare you two off last year. I look forward to ridin the trails again this year with you. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I'm new to this site. I live in Alaska and will be driving my '06 V-6 down to Colorado the end of May. Will be there all summer (bummer to miss summer in Alaska). Maybe I can get out to attend the July event; do you do anything on the weekends? I have to work and will not be able to take a week off in July, maybe a monday or friday.
I look forward to meeting some other Touareg folk.
Monday is our first trail day and Friday is the last. Saturday is when everyone pretty much heads out back for home. If you can catch either one of those days you will be able to run with us as long as you have the equipment with you to do so.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Laurence,

Good to hear you and your dad will be there again this year. Look forward to seeing you this year. AKTED, Sunday & Monday would be great days to be there. Sunday is a meet and greet and Monday is the first day on the trails and it's usually mellow "warm up" trails for the rest of the week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi to all the touareg owners and lovers =)
my wife and I are new to the group and we just saw this thread, and we'd be interested in coming to colorado this year with our touareg and our husky. how do we sign up and when exactly is it? we havnt gone off roading with it since we bought it but we'd love to - we have a 06 touareg V8 fully loaded and we love it more everyday

1 - 20 of 22 Posts