Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok, since its a 1987 tell-all....

Yikes!!!!
(from inside cover of EOS:Earth Orbit Stations, Electronic Arts 1987)

My Kudos to Rick for extracting Post #1 from Hap on CT :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Heheheheeheheh

ELKHEAD AND PARK MOUNTAINS-GRAND AND BATTLEMENT MESAS-
GORE AND ELK MOUNTAINS/CENTRAL MOUNTAIN VALLEYS-
WEST ELK AND SAWATCH MOUNTAINS-FLATTOPS-
NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLUMBINE...TOPONAS...SKYWAY...ASPEN...
VAIL...SNOWMASS...CRESTED BUTTE...TAYLOR PARK...MARBLE...BUFORD...
TRAPPERS LAKE...OURAY...TELLURIDE...LAKE CITY...SILVERTON...
RICO...HESPERUS
417 PM MDT WED JUN 4 2008

...SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THURSDAY...

A SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THURSDAY.

SNOW WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING AND THEN CONTINUE THROUGH
THURSDAY. BY LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON 2 TO 5 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IS
EXPECTED ABOVE 9000 FEET.

A SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY
TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW AND SLUSH COVERED ROADS
AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
It's just been one of those years.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok, since its a 1987 tell-all....

[pic removed]

Yikes!!!!
(from inside cover of EOS:Earth Orbit Stations, Electronic Arts 1987)
Thats what I get for deep-linking my bio photo from a game site....
(moderators - go ahead and edit out the image in that post above).

ok, here are the FIXED photos, from my own site.

. . . .

(actually from 1988 Sentinel Worlds) (this from 1987 EOS)

Yeah, at least I had hair. Thats what I was doing in 1987.

Back to the thread.

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
I guess I could rent a sled and put my ski mounts back on my Treg. I should have more room for gear now seeing as how I will have no need for the full size spare. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Rather good -interactive- webcam...

Telluride, right above "Sweet Life", the Ice Cream shop from last year.
The camera can be rotated, there is also street sound.
Telluride Webcams East

West appears to be down.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Cool camera. When I turned it on, there were a bunch of tourists standing in view gabbing, and I could catch every word with the camera mic.

In other news:

Bear Takes A Dip At Motel Pool
Manager: Bears Wander Onto Grounds Looking For Food

OURAY, Colo. -- Wildlife officials are on the lookout for a bear that took a dip at a motel pool in Ouray.
The bear wandered through an open gate and into the motel's hot springs pool Thursday night as guests watched. General manager Ryan Hein said the bear jumped in for a little bit and then crawled his way out of the warm water pool.

The motel borders wilderness and Hein said bears regularly wander onto motel grounds looking for garbage to eat. The Colorado Division of Wildlife has set traps for the bear to possibly relocate it.

Let that be a lesson to anyone joining us. Watch for bears when swimming. Also, the bears WILL use a can opener on your Touareg if you leave food inside.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Bear Takes A Dip At Motel Pool
Manager: Bears Wander Onto Grounds Looking For Food

OURAY, Colo. -- Wildlife officials are on the lookout for a bear that took a dip at a motel pool in Ouray.
The bear wandered through an open gate and into the motel's hot springs pool Thursday night as guests watched.
This sounds like the Best Western where I stayed last year. Heh.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Aircooled has a great point for everyone joining us this year... DO NOT LEAVE FOOD, DRINK OR ANYTHING THAT MAY SMELL LIKE FOOD in your vehicle. The bears are a persistant bunch.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
More news on plowing operations. Lots of news!

Telluride - The Watch - High Country Roads Opening Up.
tinyurl The Watch Newspapers - News, Sports, Weather, Classifieds, Local Events and Businesses in Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray, and Norwood Colorado, as well as the Communities of the Western San Juans - High Where to start... the good...

Ross said that despite its challenges, the abundant snowpack is making for a unique jeeping season, with towering walls of snow and a promising wildflower season.

“It’s neat. It’s very unusual in its own right,” she said. “We’re encouraging people to get up there and see it because they may not see it again for another twenty or thirty years.” She’s looking forward to getting up to the Alpine Loop. “I bet the snow banks up there will just be awesome.”
But...

Engineer Pass
A large slide across the first two switchbacks of Engineer Pass left the road buried in debris, Ross said. “The debris was so heavy it looked like the road was gone,” she said. Other than the large slides, however, the road has melted off, according to Chris Miller, Ouray County Road and Bridge Superintendent.

“Right now most of Engineer is pretty much melted off except for the snowslides, and the snowslides are huge,” he said. “We’re crossing one now that’s up to 200 yards long and somewhere around 15 feet deep. In a normal year we don’t have those kinds of slides up there.”
Cinnamon Pass and Yankee Boy
Cinnamon Pass is another story. The pass is clear in both directions, but the high runoff is eroding the road and causing rugged conditions suitable only for expert drivers, Ross said. Yankee Boy Basin is also open to Twin Falls, but Camp Bird Road is subject to high runoff and rockfall as well.
Corkscrew, Poughkeepsie, Governors Basin, Black Bear
Other roads remain closed including the Anvil Mountain Trail, Black Bear Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, and Governor’s Basin. Corkscrew Pass is closed indefinitely.
And its noted that Imogene Pass will not be open to mid or third week in July on the SOAJeep Current Status page...
Colorado Adventures, Off Road Jeep tours, Switzerland of America, Inc.

Oh yeah, Aspen re-opens this weekend!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
It certainly has been a strange year. Hell, just today I had to turn the heat back on in the house because it's only 58-degrees outside.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Amen to that brother RJ. Just talked with the folks in Breckenridge, said it was snowing sideways. Looks like an ice age be a coming.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Looks like an ice age be a coming.
Cool, I'll bring some skis :cool:

It was 104 yesterday afternoon (according to the Touareg Weather Department) while I was chatting with Señor Smith from Texas. Is it sad that summer's not even here yet, and I'm looking forward to the cool-down of late July in the San Juans? :crazy:

Matt

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We needs us one of these:

The Daiquiri Whacker
Nice! I like the starter cable on the side.

Ok, someone needs to bring a big plastic tub to haul the raw alpine snow down to camp.

Does anyone know how to brew beer? We can beat Coors at their own game :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
We can beat Coors at their own game :)
That's easy!

Step one: Collect mountain snow (non-yellow only, please)
Step two: Wait for snow to melt
Step three: Drink melted snow

Coors: "The brew that makes drinking all day possible"

Matt

(No offense to those who enjoy Coors, I'm just not a fan)

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I found the solution to our snow problems.

I'll see you on top:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
Sweet, are those cheaper then as set of Nittos? :mrgreen: I guess I would have to bring a trailer along to haul them with. I don't think they will fit inside, but at least I would no longer need a full size spare. :drunk:

41 - 60 of 136 Posts