Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've had my Touareg for about a month now and I've noticed the radiator fan likes to stay on anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes after engine shutdown. No CEL and dash is at 12 o'clock (think that's 200deg) for the coolant temp. While I'm still not certain if this is normal, I've read that there are a couple coolant sensors and the thermostat that are the usual culprits. While I think the sensors will be easy to replace, I couldn't find much about replacing the thermostat on an FSI engine. The earlier V8 has a timing belt that had to be removed to get to the t-stat. Is this the same case with mine which has a timing chain? Anyone know the procedure to replace the thermostat? As always thanks in advance. I've gotten a lot of help already on this forum!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm down in Az and its quite a bit hotter, clearly. My FSI V8 does the same thing. The only time it shortens the run time is when I pop the hood and have my evap cooler shovin air through my garage. It leads me to believe its clearly meant to keep all the hot air moving out of the engine bay as to prevent any unwanted cookin...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Actually, this is fairly normal for any electric fan equipped engine. My old '82 Scirocco did it, '86 Jetta, '02 Golf and even some non-VW cars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll assume it's normal for now. I was just a bit worried with winter just around the corner, hate to have a dead battery because of this. Thanks all! For future reference though, is the thermostat difficult to get to on our FSI engines?

·
Registered
630 Posts
thermostat is inside water pump assembly and is sold with new water pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts