Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 v6 touareg base 3.6L 115k miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the community and having a hard time finding a aftermarket muffler for my v6. Any suggestions ? Guy at the shop says i need two 2” inlet 15” overall length

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Looks like you're thinking of going down the same rabbit hole as most others have tried.
Use the "Search Community" box at the top center of the page and type in exhaust or exhaust options.
There's a few threads on it, some ending in more questions than answers. It's also helpful for others to know more details about your Treg. If you plan on staying and being active it would pay for you to complete your profile with more info so others know what info is helpful for your Treg.

·
Registered
09 TDi
534 Posts
Ill follow that by adding that IMO there is really no such thing as a "performance" muffler. There are some that make more noise than others and some that improve the sound but in the pedestrian market I'm not aware of any exhaust that actually improves performance...despite the claims

Reactions: New2Tregs

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I believe the touareg exhaust is 2.5" factory no way it's 2".

Listen to various VR6 clips on YouTube then buy that muffler in the right size and have it installed.

You'd also benefit from a high flow race cat

Reactions: New2Tregs

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,388 Posts
You might consider looking at VW part numbers of the muffler. There was a W12 engine. There was a V10. There was a V8. There was a VR6 and finally there was a 5 cylinder TDI that was sold. You might be surprised what that factory muffler can handle.

The original NA muffler was also the EU muffler. Around 2006 due to USA complaints that the V8 was too quiet, VW removed some internal baffles and sold it in NA as a "sound performance muffler." Despite removing some internal muffler baffles (which in theory increases air flow) the engines with and without the "performance" were sold with the same HP and Torque specs.

Just be sure to get a dyno before and after the new muffler and high flow cat. That way the reality of I didn't get a reasonable horsepower ROI on the money spent can really sink in.

If you just want to change the muffler for a different sound, at least that part will happen.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
Over $1,400 for some partially mandrel bent and welded up S/S pipe with hangers? I'm thinking a local muffler shop can fab up fully mandrel bent S/S piping with hangers welded in the right places for a lot less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over $1,400 for some partially mandrel bent and welded up S/S pipe with hangers? I'm thinking a local muffler shop can fab up fully mandrel bent S/S piping with hangers welded in the right places for a lot less.
so what should i ask for when i go? and do i need to buy any parts

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
so what should i ask for when i go? and do i need to buy any parts
Depends on what you decide to do to your exhaust to get the sound you want.
Are you going to do a resonator and mid muffler delete and leave the suitcase muffler as is?
Are you going to leave everything before the suitcase muffler alone and swap out that suitcase with something else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on what you decide to do to your exhaust to get the sound you want.
Are you going to do a resonator and mid muffler delete and leave the suitcase muffler as is?
Are you going to leave everything before the suitcase muffler alone and swap out that suitcase with something else?
I want a deep tone with little to no drone and nothing raspy

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,301 Posts
I want a deep tone with little to no drone and nothing raspy
I think that's what everyone wants. Although I don't think you'll get a "Deep Tone" unless you have a V8 or bigger.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The VR6 can definitely have a pretty deep tone, borla tends to have great exhaust for them. Listen to some YouTube clips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts