Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of specific assistance regarding the removal of the tandem pump on a later V10 (06 up) with the revised fuel filter, ie. non 2004

I'm going the long route and have decided to remove the intake manifolds for cleaning

I'm in a stubborn spot right now it looks like I will need separate the egr lines where they connect in the region of the corner of the valve cover...is this correct and if so is there any non hair pulling method of removing the lower bolt to where the to ends join, its just so next to immposible

any help would be great

thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did the intake manifolds on my 07 and it wasn't too bad. Those egr lines do need to come off tho. I left them on the cooler and undid them by the valve covers. Used a swivel and extension if I remember correct(was a couple months ago). The bracket on the back of the cooler is the real pain( used a torx bit with a 1/4" ratcheting wrench to undo it). Also there's a bracket on the back of the right egr valve that uses the same method to come off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
veeten, did you get this all done?

I am half way through the same job on my 2006. It has been a trying experience to say the least. :]

I was able to get the lower egr bolt off where it joins on the passenger valve cover with is 1/4" rachet, a small extension and swivel joint then had a 6mm hex head that was about an inch long (like you would attach to a drill. After playing for a while to find this combo it popped right off.

A day of nasty work and I am down to one last bolt on the far lower right of the tandem pump. I did not have to remove the intake or anything from the cooler or anything like that. Just the throttle body, disconnect the egr pipe and carefully bend them out the way a little. And disconnect that round cam sensor looking plug right next to the pump ( I needed a flathead and a mallet to help twist the plastic locking mechanism.

Secret to this is finding the right combo or little rachet wrenched and t30/H6 bits etc.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Why does the cam sensor plug have to come off? It is underneath the pump.

I made a sort of ring for my finger with a hook on it to remove that plug. My cam sensor plug had to come off because of rodent damage to the harness below.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not sure what plug it is actually but is is round and has a lock that must be turned counter clockwise. You can see it on the left of this pic.

I have been mentally prepping myself to finish the job tonight. My wife is tired of driving my bagged GTI! :)

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I am not sure what plug it is actually but is is round and has a lock that must be turned counter clockwise. You can see it on the left of this pic.

I have been mentally prepping myself to finish the job tonight. My wife is tired of driving my bagged GTI! :)

its the connector for the injector harness inside the rocker cover.
Watch out it has a little red locking key to remove before you can undo it.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Drag. I did see that little clip.

So I got the pump off last night. I am rebuilding it instead of buying a new one for $450ish dollars. I ordered the kit off ebay and it shipped from Italy in about a week. Cost me about $50.

It's wedged in there pretty good but it will come out with a little twisting and turning

Pretty Straight forward to rebuilt with the kit. Just remember when you reinstall to make sure the pump "key" was pointing the right direction so it would lock back in when i reassembled it.

Link to pictures ( dont have time to play with uploading/embedding - sorry)

Tandem Pump Rebuild Pics

The kit came with springs washer and seal for the pump mechanism but in my eagerness I stripped out one of the little torx bolts so I decided to just leave all that in tact. The pump was working fine so I am not worried. The cover gasket, base-to-head gasket and the rubber seal were the main concern. I did not see any signs of damaged but it was an oily mess so I am confident the pump was leaking (ie - NOT the turbo).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Touareg v10, and I have tried to access to the tandem pump, but I could not get down to it.
Any tips for how to get it off ? Plz.
Is it possible to make some more space between the pump and the chassis ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI, I am in the process of removing the tandem pump on my v10. I am now at the stage where I need to understand what tools are / were used to remove the 3 bolts. I have tried std Allen keys but I can't for the life of me see how I can fit one in. Any change of someone sharing a few secrets please. ps engine has not been removed as I can't afford over £2000.00 on labour.

Phil

·
Registered
103 Posts
HI, I am in the process of removing the tandem pump on my v10. I am now at the stage where I need to understand what tools are / were used to remove the 3 bolts. I have tried std Allen keys but I can't for the life of me see how I can fit one in. Any change of someone sharing a few secrets please. ps engine has not been removed as I can't afford over £2000.00 on labour.

Phil

Phil, I also removed mine with the engine in. Not sure how much you have removed compared to me. But I was actually able to work a 3/8" socket wrench in there with a stubby 6mm Allen and a 10mm socket to remove the bolts. There were other combinations used as far as Allen wrenches and hand tightening holding the socket. I also had extensions that aloud the socket to swivel. I honestly can't remember if I used them, but I believe I did.

While replacing mine I had the throttle body, egr, intake manifold, fuel rail, fuel filter and generator removed which created a lot of space to access the bolts and pull the old pump out. Not sure if the intake manifold is a must but the throttle body, egr and fuel filter housing must all be pulled to access.

Another tip is to be gentle with the injector harness. One of my other posts related to this repair is that male end of the harness let go inside the head. I did not find removing the harness to be 100% necessary. If you can do the repair with out removing and damaging the wires I'd say to just leave it.

Not sure if you've already started or what year you have and how much the years differ, mines a 2004, but be prepared to need to replace your fuel lines. Mine were pretty deteriorated. The fuel like with the banjo connection that attaches to the pump took 6 weeks to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, thanks for quick reply. Mine is a 2007. Fuel lines are in real good shape. I have removed the egr assembly and disconnected all pipes behind egr. Thats as far as of got in one hour. I have the same tools as you so I should be able get in there. Have to say, now that I have removed egr and seen how much build up there is in them and the intake manifold. looks like ill be busy for a while.

phil

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, thanks for quick reply. Mine is a 2007. Fuel lines are in real good shape. I have removed the egr assembly and disconnected all pipes behind egr. Thats as far as of got in one hour. I have the same tools as you so I should be able get in there. Have to say, now that I have removed egr and seen how much build up there is in them and the intake manifold. looks like ill be busy for a while.

phil

Not a problem. Yeah the egr isn't kind to the intake. It's nuts how much builds up! Good luck though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.