Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noob here, but owner of 6sp manual Dodge Cummins with Edge and other upgrades for big torque >750 ftlb. It is the primary tow vehicle for a 24 ft race trailer, total weight about 8,000 pounds.​

The Cummins delivers 13 mpg towing this brick.​

Have test driven X5D and Treg TDI and BMW had nice road manners, but only 6500 lb tow capacity vs. 7700 for Treg.​

What is tow capacity of V10? Is this rare 2007 beast with 15k miles worth $45k? some here feel the V10 was the best Treg built; do others feel the same? I do want decent mileage in the mid 20's, can the V10 do that?​

Many seem to feel the V10 is a rare find; is the ultimate engine, but is the mileage significantly less than the new 3liter V6​

Please help as I have only 2 days to make a decision on the V10​

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tow capacity for the Touareg (both V10 and V6 TDI) is 3500kg. That must be 7700lbs.

The V10 is a very good tow vehicle, especially with the air suspension. The mileage is less than the V6 for sure, but there is more power and torque.

I have owned both, and the 3 litre TDI is a better balanced unit, but I live in another country with different conditions, so it is hard to judge accurately how my experience translates.

The V10 is a powerful unit, but it requires more attention to keep it running. Looked after properly they will last a very long time.

Let us know which way you choose.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Stick with the Truck since the Touaregs will not meet your needs with towing that much. They are limited to 7700 lbs not because of motor, but more due to chassis. You could buy the V10 and use it for that, but you are exceeding the towing capacity with it by towing that trailer. Either one of the motors would probably tow it fine,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V10 vs. V6tdi and towing capability

Thanks, I assumed the 8,000 lb trailer would be at the limit, but electric brakes and compensating bars might help the balance. And it is hard to beat the towing ability of the Cummins, although that truck is 2wd so awd Treg is advantage during wet weather towing.

I am trying to determine how much better (refined) the new 2010 3 liter is over the V10 for normal daily commuter use. All my cars are high power with enhancements so I would think the V10 would suit my driving style more than the V6. Less depreciation buying the used V10, but more maintenance and mpg is less. My daily driver, a supercharged Audi V8S6 while around 480 hp, gets 13/19 mpg so I want to get out of the daily trips to the gas station. It seems the V6TDI will get 20/26 so I would hope I can get 18/24 from a V10 is that dreaming?
Merry Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
If you want air suspension on the V6TDI you will have to order one unless you find a dealer that just happened to order one in for stock. 2010 is probably the last year for air. 2011 appears so far to be a very limited use vehical and may not offer any offroad capabilities.

If you get a V10 they come fully loaded where as the newer 09-10"s are coming through with decontended items which you can not get anymore. Not even on the order form. I have driven every version Treg available to us here in the states and I don't feel you are giving up much with the V6TDI.

Yes the V10 is phenominal, but the V6 is not bad either. As a daily driver the V6 is nice and is not lacking on power at all imo. I live at altitude here in UT so I know if there is a power loss issue. I am easily able to pass other cars going up the mountain that can't seem to move any faster due to altitude killing their power.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The V10 is nice to have, but driving dynamics of the V6 is far superior to the V10. There is simply too much weight over those front axles in the V10.
If you can, drive them both and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The V10 will get you 23-24 on the hiway. It is a little heavy in the front, it took me about a month to get used to it. No bother now. The V6 TDI is lighter in driving, but much lighter in performance. If you want the balls to tow go for the V10, none of the others comes close.

·
Registered
839 Posts
noob here, but owner of 6sp manual Dodge Cummins with Edge and other upgrades for big torque >750 ftlb. It is the primary tow vehicle for a 24 ft race trailer, total weight about 8,000 pounds.​

The Cummins delivers 13 mpg towing this brick.​

Have test driven X5D and Treg TDI and BMW had nice road manners, but only 6500 lb tow capacity vs. 7700 for Treg.​

What is tow capacity of V10? Is this rare 2007 beast with 15k miles worth $45k? some here feel the V10 was the best Treg built; do others feel the same? I do want decent mileage in the mid 20's, can the V10 do that?​

Many seem to feel the V10 is a rare find; is the ultimate engine, but is the mileage significantly less than the new 3liter V6​

Please help as I have only 2 days to make a decision on the V10​
There is not a decision here on this one IMO. If you exceed the tow rating and have an accident, trouble would likely be waiting you. I wouldn't recommend either for this particular purpose.

That said, for many other uses you couldn't go wrong with either. I absolutely love my V6 TDI and just finished a tank with almost all city driving at 21.5mpg. I always beat the 25mpg rating on the highway unless there's lots of wind and it ain't broken in yet. I'm still optimistic that when it's broken in, a 68-70mph cruise is going to yield close to 30mpg. But, when you can get 23mpg out of the V10 on the highway as some have stated, that's pretty impressive considering the noticeable power increase. The V6 is a cleaner, lower emissions vehicle if that matters to you at all. Does to me . . .

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
In terms of towing: I've towed real heavy with the Treg, you can safely tow right up to the limit. So weigh out your gear and if you are 7700 or less then you'll love it. I towed a 28' (overall length) travel trailer weighing around 5500#dry with my V8 and it was an excellent tow setup. I also tow my 31' overall 288 Sunsation boat around, this pushes 7500# with a full load and it tows perfectly.The V8 tows great right to the limit, the V10 even better.

In terms of fuel economy:
I get a steady 21MPG on my V10 in mixed 50/50 city/why driving. I get 25-26MPG crusing a steady 75MPH on the highway....for the power this thing has the fuel economy just doesn't even make sense. Its awesome.

In terms of handling: the V10 is nose heavy and my V8 handles WAY better, that said the V10 will feel like a 911 compared to your Dodge.

just some random thoughts...the V6 TDI is a great engine, THough it won't give you the rush of the V10...I also own an F250 diesel which tows my 10,000lb Travel trailer. The Ford is the weapon of choice when towing, if for no other reason than the bed give me a place to toss all the "stuff" you seem to need when hauling a load (ie: ramps, wheel blocks etc).

If you love diesels and want one of the most impressive vehicles ever built, buy a V10 -its the pinnacle of how good diesel vehicles can be.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a TDI, which one the V10 or new V6?

The V10 being close, rare, low mileage, and a reasonable value was quite a temptation. The V6TDI seemed to be an excellent SUV and perhaps crisper handling because of the weight advantage and balance. But I grabbed the V10 and hope that I can get decent mileage out of it while using for normal driving. I have to install tow hitch, so that will be my next search for opinions for installation tips.

So now I am going to follow this forum, and hopefully enjoy a great vehicle in the process.

So now I have to figure what the best trailer hitch/controller installation so that I have an alternate tow vehicle, but the Dodge Diesel will command prime tow honors.

Time will tell.

thanks for the suggestions,

·
Registered
325 Posts
About 6000 is all I've towed with my V10 Treg, but OMG, there was no trailer back there at all even on the SoCal 241 toll roads which has 7.5% grades in some spots:) Air suspension is a dream to tow with and a good brake controller is a must but you already know that. I'll be interested in your feedback when you do tow some 8K+ loads;)

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
So now I have to figure what the best trailer hitch/controller installation so that I have an alternate tow vehicle, but the Dodge Diesel will command prime tow honors.

Time will tell.

If you want to tow the 7700 limit, you will need to purchase the OEM hitch for your TDI. Anything other then the OEM will only allow up to 6000 limit.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The V10 being close, rare, low mileage, and a reasonable value was quite a temptation. The V6TDI seemed to be an excellent SUV and perhaps crisper handling because of the weight advantage and balance. But I grabbed the V10 and hope that I can get decent mileage out of it while using for normal driving. I have to install tow hitch, so that will be my next search for opinions for installation tips.

So now I am going to follow this forum, and hopefully enjoy a great vehicle in the process.

Time will tell.

Congrats on the V10...you'll love it, the mileage you get out of it will impress you.... Get the factory hitch (as Yeti mentions), its expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for assistance. Have not really gotten into all the aspects of the V10
I enjoy the big Porsche Brembo 6 piston brakes, and 350mmx30 mm rotors or are they 32mm??
ZF trans does so well on auto that it almost seems that using the tiptronic is
not necessary, but I will put paddle shifers on to help when towing, and I will do that soon after the oem tow hitch is installed
there seems to be some confusion on what is the best brake controller? Any tips or preferences for a 2007?
And so non-diesel in starting procedure. almost instant start with glow plugs that must be designed for F16's. Computer mileage seems way optimistic, but we will see as time progresses.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I run a Tekonsha envoy...its not top of the line but it functions perfectly and is easy to use. It synch perfectly with the Tregs electronics, and I have never ever had any reason but to have full faith in it... No need to go crazy on a brake controller, its not like we're hauling 45' long 20,000# 5th wheels or anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick
So I have had the hitch and other assorted things installed but have not picked up the vehicle. Where does the Tekonsha plug in? Where did you mount the controller?
How much trouble is the controller installation??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I've written a DIY that you'll need to follow for your '07...search in the DIY forum it should be on the 1st or 2nd page. Its easy, just take your time and be patient.

I mounted mine to the underside of the dash panel, just beside where my left leg rests, far enough down that it doesn't get in the way, accessible enough to adjust or operate manually. I screwed it into the panel under the dash...while screwing into your Tregs panels may be painful, I just made sure I screwed into the service panel (easily replaceable) and not the dash...you MUST have your brake controller mounted solidly, remember that there are gadgets internally that sense your braking force and apply correct voltage to the trailer. It can be dangerous if not solidly mounted as it may not correctly sense braking forces.

Good luck and just respond here if you need any help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick
still looking for your DYI, so got the hitch installed at the dealer.

the insallation kit does not include the harness to the dashboard, so I have to find that part # and the connector behind the square plate next to the trailer hitch
is not the proper connector to attach to the big trailer. Another part number needed!

And, the connector has to be hard mounted to the hitch frame. Why this is a "serial" installation making me feel I am the first to do it, is nuts and frustrating with a large dealer who has no clue.
And, the hitch receiver is THICK and a special connector will have to be used for safety chains to connect. Then the brake controller has to be connected to the harness to be installed. My Dodge truck was so simple, this installation will wind up costing over $1500 including controller, and this is just for the benefit of a having a spare tow vehicle.

I did an experimental tow of the trailer and would the following was noted in comparison to my Dodge Diesel 6sp manual truck with lots of power options( Edge Controller, high output injector pump)
Plus
quiet
nice having smart auto trans
ability to get into 6th gear and cruise
air suspension
great vehicle brakes

Con
Not as stable as the 2500 Dodge as I noticed some sway
(shorter wheelbase disadvantage)
Adequate power, but not nearly the grunt of the Dodge
which has over 750# torque

Conclussion:
This was a practice tow without trailer brakes so very cautious, but
the Touareg appears to be adequate for towing this big package

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nickm
Thanks, I just could not locate yours diy in the search, thanks for the help and
keeping on top of this forum.
awesome Mr. Blue work, thanks for the detail. And showing where you mounted the controller, neat job.
Thanks I am also wondering about the Prodigy RF which will avoid the wiring. Interesting technology but hard wiring is the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts