Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VW Touareg V6TDi - Steel suspension
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have done a fair search and am still unsure of the answer.

On a 2007 (right hand drive) Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi with steel springs can the upper control arms be removed without removing the front suspension cradle?

It looks like for certain on Air Suspension models you need to access the engine bay and remove the large aluminum cradle that the upper control arm and air strut bolt to.
But on the Steel Spring models the front coil strut can be removed from below. Does this allow access to remove the front upper control arms?

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,159 Posts
I was wondering the same on my '11.
I found the video below which is a '13 Porsche but I think it was very similar.
Maybe it'll help you on your '07.

·
Registered
2007 VW Touareg V6TDi - Steel suspension
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well guys I can confirm that it is possible to change the upper control arms without accessing the engine bay on a 2007 (facelift) Touareg 7L with Steel suspension.
How ever I do have after market coil overs, and as has been mentioned the bolts on both sides need to slip out through the coil spring gaps. But even saying that, it would only take another 4 bolts from the wheel well to release the top of the coil strut so that it would have movement to allow the upper control arm bolts to slip out.

As the 7P chassis integrated the coil top mounts with the suspension sub mounts I am unsure if this would work on 2010+ models. As can be seen from the video above. It appears to loosen the coil strut access to the engine bay is needed.

On a side note. I installed Eurowise upper control arms with their polyurethane bushes.
Lucky I checked because even though the bushes come installed, they do not come lubricated! So make sure you take out the metal sleeve and lubricate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts