Club Touareg Forum banner

2006 V8 Transmission problem...I think

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  noobytoogy 
#1 · (Edited)
First time poster, long time lurker.

I have a 2006 V8 with 140,000 miles on the clock. A few months ago i noticed a strange rhythmic feeling at about 65 mph. It felt like the engine was misfiring or like the cruise control wouldnt hold speed. However, the cruise control did not have to be on for this to happen. I took it into the shop and of course was told carrier berring was failing. No problem replace it!

Pick the treg up and go camping. She drives like a dream for about a month...

All of a sudden the treg has that rhythmic feeling again only its now down in third gear. With this new rhythmic dance i have a weird sound when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd gear. Before it shifts it sounds like a slight grinding is occurring in the front right of the car. This only happens when i accelerate and dont quite get to third gear. Its almost like the transmission is questioning whether or not it should shift. I also make note that I think its coming from front right. Had a person in the car with me and they heard back left. Is this simply a chassis noise?

The rig is beautiful through 4th, 5th and 6th and I have never had the hard down shift that comes with the "valve body" threads.

It has new ATF, Filter and flush with carrier bearing change out.

See less See more
#2 ·
hi, normally as i know if its the wheel bearing it must be noisier when you do turns as the load increases and its easier to find if its left or right side as if you turn left the right side have more load and if its faulty you should hear the griding noise, but also @140k miles i would inspect plugs and coils to make sure its not the ruff idle :) kind regards, Nikoloz

#3 ·
Good to hear

I towed my trailer today with it and everything felt great...a couple of weird moments but it was when i was babying it. If I really into throttle i dont have any issues.

How often should plugs and cables be changed out?

Im pretty novice fixing this thing myself, anyway i can check the bearings?

#4 ·
Wheel bearings are producing audible noise, especially under load as I described in first comment.
Now regarding plugs and coils, do you have CEL on? "Check engine" . If yes you need to scan the car with VCDS vag com and see what fault codes are triggering the light, BTW touaregs are very sensitive to misfires and ECM is triggering the CEL as soon as any of the cylinder will have misfire more then five times in the row :)

#5 ·
This sounds more like bad gas, dirty gas filter, aging plugs, or something like that. Your owners manual likely has a maintenance schedule for plugs as it varies by engine model.

The fuel grade and type can impact your timing (due to pinging) as the vehicle hunts for timing (retard / advance). My 2007 does this a little with winter gas.

Also, I have read that there are "pure" stations that sell premium without ethanol! You can search online for these stations, they can legally only sell premium because it is exempt from ethanol laws. I would keep some fuel that isn't pure in your tank because the ethanol attracts water...which gets burned up versus staying in your tank. But I might add a bit of pure premium and see?

Is the sounded really bad pinging?

A wheel bearing sounds like an offroad tire with a distinct whum, whum, whum, sound (on VW's for some reason)...as stated above zig zagging left right left right in a parking lot will make the sound come and go as you take weight off and put weight on.

#9 ·
Glad you're sorted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.