Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
lurked around the forum for a while, but finally registered and am posting a Help question.

I wanted to own a Touareg for a long time, and two weeks ago I took a plunge and bought a 2006 V8 with 97K on it.

I bought it from a dealer, who told me the car was bought at an auction, came without service records, but CarFax didn't reveal any accidents, and typical mileage (10K per year). All in all, the car is in a good condition, drives nicely, and it looks like the timing belt was changed (less of a major pain).

The problem is in the headlight on the passenger side. These were not working properly, and I though these were simply bulbs that needed to be replaced, but once I took the light out, I found that Xenon and Halogen light was wired directly. It could be that the port where light plugs in is not working, or something else.

I was wondering if anybody here could give me a rough estimate how much the repair of the head light assembly would cost - replacement with the OEM part. Right now I am still on temporary plates, and to pass the state inspection, I would need the lights to work. Bringing it to the dealer and asking for money back is an option, but the price I got it for, was very reasonable $6500, and besides new tires and breaks, I don't need to put much in this car.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
New headlight units are about $500 apiece I think. You'd need a pair ideally so the light output matches as the plastic covers deteriorate.

You can replace the bulbs though but again, do so in pairs and, if replacing the xenons, please buy good quality GENUINE Osram/Philips or any similar high quality bulbs and not cheap or fakes off e-bay.

Try the bulbs in the other headlight that you know is working - just make sure you don't touch the glass on the bulbs with your fingers of course!!

You need 4300 Kelvin bulbs to meet the original white light spec..

Going back to that timing belt you need 150% certainty on that timing belt changed which should have been done together with the tensioners, thermostat and water pump. "It looks like the timing belt was changed" just doesn't pass muster! If the belt goes, the engine is toast.

Do read the buying a used Touareg thread - link in my signature below - if you haven't done so. You will learn a lot and probably save money later too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts