1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 V8

Bought used with a list of problems.
Seems to run good, smooth idle, plenty of power, no fluid leaks or noises.
After scanning with VCDS I decided to start with the Engine codes first.
P0304 cylinder 4 misfire
There is also a few codes related to the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor.
(Am I correct that is the passenger side sensor after the catalytic convertor?)
The new O2 sensor arrived today just as I was giving up for the night, but I will install it next.
I changed the oil (Mobil 1 5w30 syn), oil filter (Mahle), air filters (Mahle), spark plugs (denso iridium), installed a new coil pack (Bosch) on cylinder 4.
Someone had started working on it and had already installed a red top coil on #4 (the only red top coil on engine, the rest are black).
Removed the bushings on the front of the intake flap shafts, cleaned, lubed, reinstalled.
(both are very smooth now and have the upgraded aluminum linkage rods on both)
Compression check shows readings from 175 psi (8) down to 162 psi (5). Cylinder 4 has 165 psi.
Engine still sounds fine, plenty of power, no odd noises or vibrations.
Still getting a misfire cylinder 4,
I cleared all codes after work was completed and check engine light came back on as soon as I started it. Misfire Cylinder 4. Misfire count seem very low to set a code at 2 misfires.
I am giving up for today, I did switch coils between #3 and #4 and will scan again tomorrow and see if the misfire moved. I highly doubt it as #4 had a brand new coil and spark plug.

My next step, after installing new O2 sensor is to check PCV valve for leaks as it is nearest to #4. Then I plan on moving on to swapping injectors between #3 and #4 to see if it moves.

Any help, tips, or advice are appreciated.
I am new to the 4.2 V8 and learning as I go.
If anyone has questions about VW ALH diesel engines I would be glad to help as I know them very well.

I am attaching a picture of the original spark plug that was in #4 just for reference if it helps at all.
Computer keyboard Peripheral Household hardware Input device Engineering

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check engine light was gone, didn't come back after 12 mile drive. Next day I was in the driveway revving up the engine and the check engine light came on for about 30 seconds and then turned off by itself. Haven't scanned it yet, but I will keep you posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts