Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking that I may have a common issue on my treg. I've changed both temp sensors. One on the plastic pipe at the rear of the engine, and the other at the outlet of the radiator. I cleared the codes and it worked fine until the second ski trip. Now the coolant overheating displays with the temperature gauge holding at 200 degrees, but the oil temp gauge works intermittently... off then up to 160, then off. the fans continue to run after I shut it off and the next morning I start it up and they again sound like turbins. Kinda lost on this now and usually when I take it in to the dealer, it comes back in a lot worse shape than was before! I have had this car for over eight years and am the second owner. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Do you have VCDS to take a look at the oil and temp sender values?

If not, an OBD II scanner might be able to give you some values, too.

I'm curious as to what the ECM thinks the engine temp really is. The gauges are for amusement purposes only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have VCDS to take a look at the oil and temp sender values? If not, an OBD II scanner might be able to give you some values, too. I'm curious as to what the ECM thinks the engine temp really is. The gauges are for amusement purposes only.
I do not have a VCDS, but ran a conventional scan and came back p3081 confirmed and p3081 int

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
594 Posts
I do not have a VCDS, but ran a conventional scan and came back p3081 confirmed and p3081 int
Did you check the wiring to the sensors? The code is for a low temp warning. It is possible to install new sensors that crap out. Would check the wiring for any corrosion, and if Ok would consider replacing the sensors after testing. Check the wiring with ignition on, not started should read about 5 volts. Then check for continuity should be zero ohms. If plug checks out then check sensor. Touch the two leads and should read about two ohms. If ok put the sensor in hot water and read with your meter. Should have more resistance and read less than 2 ohms. I just heat up a small pot of water on the stove and have the sensor tip in the water. They make some crappy sensors. Have put ones in before that worked short term or never worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check the wiring to the sensors? The code is for a low temp warning. It is possible to install new sensors that crap out. Would check the wiring for any corrosion, and if Ok would consider replacing the sensors after testing. Check the wiring with ignition on, not started should read about 5 volts. Then check for continuity should be zero ohms. If plug checks out then check sensor. Touch the two leads and should read about two ohms. If ok put the sensor in hot water and read with your meter. Should have more resistance and read less than 2 ohms. I just heat up a small pot of water on the stove and have the sensor tip in the water. They make some crappy sensors. Have put ones in before that worked short term or never worked.
I bought both of them at Napa, so I will see if I can pull some reviews to see if they are junk or not. another thing is, is that I've got to do the timing belt water pump and tstat, so I bought the g12 at Napa but have been reading not to use it. Will it be ok? Thanks for the info! I

·
Registered
2005 V8
492 Posts
I had more or less the same problem with my V8. The dealer installed new thermostat and waterpump and it solved the problem. I was expecting a sensor or electronic issue but it was plain and simple.

At the time I also asked them to do the timing belt and all the related parts as you really pay for the added parts only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I had the parts so I went ahead and went through the water pump, tstat, and timing belt. Not too bad to do all in all. But the second I tried to start, there went the fans blasting away. I'll go have the electronics reset tomorrow, and just might get lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.