Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Touareg with the 3.2 v6… it runs great, then every 10 seconds or so has a misfire. At higher RPMs, it shudders with the misfire. It’s odd, it runs really smooth, then shudders for a second, then runs smooth again.

There are no codes and the engine light is not on. I’m stumped. This issue is new…

I’ve recently replaced the fuel pumps and filter, camshaft sensors, plugs, coil packs… I just cleaned the MAF sensor…

Any ideas what is causing this mystery misfire or ideas on what I can do to fix?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Is this behavior new or was it the reason you replaced the pumps and the coil pack and all that?
What scanner are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Touareg with the 3.2 v6… it runs great, then every 10 seconds or so has a misfire. At higher RPMs, it shudders with the misfire. It’s odd, it runs really smooth, then shudders for a second, then runs smooth again.

There are no codes and the engine light is not on. I’m stumped. This issue is new…

I’ve recently replaced the fuel pumps and filter, camshaft sensors, plugs, coil packs… I just cleaned the MAF sensor…

Any ideas what is causing this mystery misfire or ideas on what I can do to fix?
Hello,
I was wonder if you replace both camshaft sensors electrical cables or wires?
I suspect since is every 10 seconds with no code, the cable might be broken or wire expose.
Just and FYI.
My 2005 V6 had similar, but after replacing both cables and camshaft sensors, the code is gone.
The cables are plug and play and you can change yourself. Please, let us know after replaying cables if still still having same issues. Also, the cables not too expensive.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all - I have more to share on this issue. The Touareg is still slightly missing and idles a little rough. I had a friend with a real scanner troubleshoot with me.. here is what we did to narrow the issue down, but still ll cannot find how to fix...
We reset all codes and cleared history. The car ran GREAT after that. no more misfire or shudder... We scoped the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensors. All sensors are sending a signal. Both of the camshaft sensors are new. We now have code P0017 that returns every time, shortly after startup. We believe this is a correlation code that advises there is a mis-alignment between the cam and crank. We know the cam sensors are good (new) and the crank sensor is sending a signal. We have not replaced the crank sensor. Has anyone experienced this code or the odd rough idle with similar situations? I am afraid to drive the car incase it goes back into limp mode and leaves me stranded.. any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
593 Posts
More than likely you have an elongated timing chain which is not uncommon for the VR6. Plenty of posts on this issue. You could pull and replace the tensioner. The piston may not be pushing against the chain bumper adequately. The tensioner looks like a bolt head on the throttle body side of engine back of the block low above oil pan. Can be easily removed from above. Essentially a hollow bolt with a piston inside that is pushed against the chain bumper through oil pressure. If the camshaft sensors and speed sensor are 100% and you keep getting a correlation error pretty good bet a chain issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the car to a specialty VW shop today. They confirmed it needs a chain. $7,000 to replace a timing chain. Why on earth would VW design a motor that can’t have the chain serviced without dropping the motor?! Ugh.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
593 Posts
Yeah, pretty painful. I drove mine over a year 1/2 with the CEL on and changed oil at 1/2 maintenance intreval. The engine was made to be mounted transversely, as in the current Atlas. Not certain why they mounted inline other than to make drivetrain & 4 wheel easier to eng. & mfr. ?? The dealer has a rig/jig whatever where they pull the front end -body/radiator and fenders forward, take engine off mounts, tranny, move forward replace both upper lower chain, bumpers, and tensioners. When I checked a few years back was $5.8k. If you get fixed change oil often at max a 3rd intreval in book. The upper chain tensioner only has a pin hole in the piston. Bluf the vr6 hates dirty oil in terms of tensioner performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts