Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I am excited to both be a owner of a Touareg and member of this Forum.

I just purchased with my girlfriend a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg with 37k miles. It is silver with black, premium package. I drove the Treg the first few days in Southern California with no problem, I did notice a Slight stutter and hesitation under moderate throttle but just thought it was due to bad gas as the vehicle sat at the dealer for a few months. We were preparing to head up to Carson City Nevada, where we now live and just as you would imagine, as we start it up for the first time sunday the car idles very rough and nearly dies, the engine light flashing. It began to smooth out and we shut it off and restarted it. The engine light no longer flashing. Having to come home we decided to just baby it, as I heared no more miss or rough idle and drivabilitie was not affected. We made the 400 mile trip with no incidence and averaged 21 mpg's combined. I hooked the Touareg up to my OBD 2 scan tool when we arrived and came up with several codes for misfires on multiple cylinders and random misfires. Having doing some research I have discovered there are quite a few problems with the coil packs with there cars. It is under warrenty and certified should I have any trouble getting all the coil packs replaced or is it going to be like all the other cases where the dealer is going to be poor in the service department. The closest dealer is Lithia of Reno and I am hoping my Girlfriend can bring it in Tomorrow and have this resolved. How many of you have experianced this, and has anyone dealt with this particular dealer?

I look forward to sharing and receiving insight with all of you as I have several years of both Mechanics and sales. Thank you all for your help and ideas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
5 weeks mine has been in the shop. Started out as coils and mysteriously ended up as two bent valves...... I cant imagine how that would happen.... 4k later and I should have my car back......

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what it is worth:

When test driving our Treg before purchase it had a substantial misfire. I was told the vehicle would be taken into the shop for repairs, and not to be concerned. Being a Ford 5.4 owner I was all too familiar with coil packs going out. It is a common service bulletin for the Fords. Apparently one of the coils had gone bad in the Treg, as I kind of suspected. Anyway, I decided to purchase the Treg. One day later coild pack number 2 went out. It was again repaired by the used car dealer. However, the work was performed by a reputible German auto mechanic. I was able to ask him about the coil pack issues, when I went to pick the car up, and he said it is inevitble that they will all go out eventually. He said he is in the practice of replacing all of them for his customers as soon as the first one goes out. Dealers on the other hand do not pay to fix what is not broken. He went on to say that the replacement units are far more reliable. Due to it being a known issue, improvements were made to the coils. I don't know if that's any consolation to you.

SHMO

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
If it is coilpacks you can do yourself a favor.
Buy them online $20-25 a piece and replace them yourself. it is real easy to do.
The V6 also needs new plugs at 40k so do them while you are at it. The coils sit on top of the plugs.
Disconnect the connector and pull (firmly)off the coilpack. Take plug out, new one in etc and you are done in an hour saving yourselves $400 from the stealer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Note that only the V6 3.2 needs new plugs at 40K. The V6 3.6 plug service is at 60K. I'm just over 50 and have shiny new plugs and coil packs about ready to go...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts