Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a strange issue. My 2006 v8 Touareg began stalling at low speeds and idle recently. If while driving and it begins to stall, i can feather or floor the accelerator and it runs like a champ. Always runs well under acceleration but stalls in a few seconds otherwise. Here is the really strange part...if it has 1/8th tank of gas or LESS it runs perfectly....always! If i put just enough fuel in the tank to reach 1/4 tank of gas the stalling begins. Please help...i have had everything from need new fuel pumps, o2 sensors, MAF, to EVAP issue(Thats what the volkswagen service person suggested over the phone). I live in a rural county and we have no Volkswagen dealer here...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I am wondering if there is an issue with the fuel tank vapor management system.

The idea being that with only 1/8 tank of fuel, you have a 7/8 tank of vapor. If the fuel is being pulled out of the tank, there is 7/8's of a tank of vapor that more easily expand to take the place of the fuel.

With a fuller gas tank, there is less vapor that is able to expand to replace the lost fuel. All other things being equal, the vacuum pressure should be greater (more vacuum, i.e., resistance to fuel leaving the tank) with more fuel in the tank vs vapor.

At least that's my guess. I'm not familiar with the Touareg's specific fuel vapor system, but it can't be that different than any other vehicle.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Blocked breather on the fuel cap?

As above, if it runs okay with no fuel cap [close the fuel filler cover if you can], then replace the cap.

It will probably take more than a day [four in my case] for the EVAP fault warning light to come on [I once left my fuel cap behind at a filling station after the tether broke!].

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.