Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! As previously stated in my other threads here, the car is a 2006 T1, automatic gearbox, engine 2.5 R5 TDI 128KW, code BAC, having 162k(KM) currently on the ODO.

Following my recent thread with the auto gearbox sometimes bashing the gears from 2nd to 3rd(ocasionally when accelerating, RPM goes upper than usual, 3500-4000, and if i dont let my foot off the pedal, it bashes onto 3rd and then proceeds to shift normally after) a few people here suggested i should replace the fluid with fresh ATF.

Following that, my service interval comes soon, and i thought i should get as much information as possible before replacing anything. With 162k on board, the car is 11 years old already. I know people always recommend to get OEM VW fluids, but the price being generally double for each of those fluids than normal manufacturer(Febi Blistein, SWAG, Castrol, etc..) i do wonder if the price difference really contributes here.

The car had the ATF changed at 120k, the brake fluid and coolant at 50k, and obviously the engine oil and filtres every 15k. Anything else wasn't touched.
As such, the OEM codes are:

Engine: 506.01(this translates to VW LongLife II), however i only and ever used Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 DPF(505.01, as recommended by other Touareg users), 8.5L

ATF: G 055 025 A2, 9.0L

Power Steering - G 004 000 M2, 1.0L

Brake Fluid: B 000 750 M3 or generally any DOT4 should do, 1.0L

Coolant: VW G12 or G12+, 9.0L

Transfer Box Oil: G 052 515 A2, 0.85L

Gear Oil: G 052 145 A1( what is the difference between this one and the ATF fluid? I don't really get where this needs to go), also known as SAE 75W90 GL5 - 1.0L front and 1,25L back.

I believe these are all of them. I tried to gather them around and put them in one place in case others need it too, since i searched a lot as i didn't find them in one place.
That being said, a grand total cost of changing these and using only OEM, would be around 400-500$. However, if i use fluids from different manufacturers that are VW Approved WITH the same code on the back, the cost would be just shy of 200$ approx.

Any suggestions/personal experiences are welcome. I do want to change all of these, but i'm not too sure about spending 300 more dollars just to get the OEM tag. Are there really obvious benefits? Boiling point, viscosity, etc? There shouldn't be, since they are VW Approved after all... One more thing, do Transfer Box Oil and Gear Oil ever need to be changed? I've seen folks here talking about changing the others, but not these 2.

Sorry for the long read guys. I had to write all that i had in mind :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Gear oil is for front and rear differentials, if you have a locking rear differential you need MDL gear oil (multi disc locking)

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,420 Posts
From my knowledge and experience use genuine oils for engine, all diffs, gearbox etc.
but if you want to save some dollars and compromise then be prepared to spend thousands when something goes wrong over time due to wrong spec oil being used somewhere.
Why are you not using 506 as specified?using 505 in R5 or v10 will result in damage from what i gather.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
The SAE 75/90 oil is for the front and rear diffs and is totally different from automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

I think you have missed out the transfer box oil which is best just bought only from the VW dealer in the correct 850ml bottle.

And the 505.01 and 506.01 is only used in the early R5 and V10 engines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gear oil is for front and rear differentials, if you have a locking rear differential you need MDL gear oil (multi disc locking)
So basically the same oil mentioned in the OP for both front and rear diffs as i understand. I am not sure if i have the rear locking diff, so i attached a photo. Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my knowledge and experience use genuine oils for engine, all diffs, gearbox etc.
but if you want to save some dollars and compromise then be prepared to spend thousands when something goes wrong over time due to wrong spec oil being used somewhere.
Why are you not using 506 as specified?using 505 in R5 or v10 will result in damage from what i gather.
I do understand what you mean, however i just didn't find any evidence so far against using for example Mobil 3309 or Ravenol T-IV, instead of the original OEM ATF.

Some people here say it's just the branding, that the VW ATF doesn't have anything special or that even other manufacturer fluids are even better. I was just looking if anyone that changed their ATF used another fluid that was specifically VW Approved.

Because i too, wouldn't put the fluid in my car if it doesn't say the G 055 025 A2 code on the bottle. That's what i mean.

I personally see no reason why it should damage the transmission or not function as intended, since it meets the OEM code. And besides this, there is also the price difference.

As for engine oil, even on the Oil Cap it is written "Castrol" and the 5W-40 is the recommended oil(505.01) for fixed service intervals at 15k. The longlife isn't even in production anymore i believe but it was designed for 30k services, which IMO is just too long.

Attached 3 photos of Ravenol and Mobil ATF where it explicitly says G 055 025 A2.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like the valves in the gearbox are defunct or dying.
I do not experience anything other than this hard kick from 2nd to 3rd gear. And this also happens sometimes, not everytime. I can have it once a week, twice in a day or even once in a few months.

Not sure again if something is failing there but currently a fresh new ATF would do only good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The SAE 75/90 oil is for the front and rear diffs and is totally different from automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

I think you have missed out the transfer box oil which is best just bought only from the VW dealer in the correct 850ml bottle.

And the 505.01 and 506.01 is only used in the early R5 and V10 engines.
I might buy these 1.0l or less fluids from VW since they're not that expensive, unlike ATF fluid.

The transfer box oil is there in the OP, and correct only 850ML.

Me having a R5 engine, even though the Castrol i use is DPF compliant, i don't have a DPF fitted on the car. But since it meets VW 505.01, it's all good.

What about you? What oil do you use? Have you ever changed any of these fluids in the car?

·
Registered
763 Posts
So basically the same oil mentioned in the OP for both front and rear diffs as i understand. I am not sure if i have the rear locking diff, so i attached a photo. Let me know, thanks!

You do not have locking rear differential so same gear oil front and back. I've used the Ravenol for ATF, gear oils and oil change kits all with OEM specs, so far no complaints

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do not have locking rear differential so same gear oil front and back. I've used the Ravenol for ATF, gear oils and oil change kits all with OEM specs, so far no complaints
The Ravenol T-IV? How much did you put in?

As for gear and oil change kits, do you mean OEM VW bottles or VW compliant? (Meaning having the code on the bottle, but other makers). Just want to make sure.

Lastly, if you wouldn't mind sharing, how many miles have you driven since the fluid change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Ravenol T-IV? How much did you put in?

As for gear and oil change kits, do you mean OEM VW bottles or VW compliant? (Meaning having the code on the bottle, but other makers). Just want to make sure.

Lastly, if you wouldn't mind sharing, how many miles have you driven since the fluid change?

Thanks!
VW compliant on oils, just go to Ravenol and check out website. Used oil change kits twice and I try to change oil at about 7000 miles, about due for another change. Front and rear differentials, transfer case and ATF all done recently, I've owned the vehicle for 1 year and been gradually changing all fluids, 128000 miles on truck. Have also done coolant, changed out power steering fluid. Brakes and brake fluid coming soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VW compliant on oils, just go to Ravenol and check out website. Used oil change kits twice and I try to change oil at about 7000 miles, about due for another change. Front and rear differentials, transfer case and ATF all done recently, I've owned the vehicle for 1 year and been gradually changing all fluids, 128000 miles on truck. Have also done coolant, changed out power steering fluid. Brakes and brake fluid coming soon.
Thanks for the info. May i ask, what specific fluids did you use for each? I get that you used VW compliant fluids, so not OEM bottles. But did you use for each, including even engine oil, only Ravenol? Never tried this brand before, but i did hear about it and it looks solid.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for the info. May i ask, what specific fluids did you use for each? I get that you used VW compliant fluids, so not OEM bottles. But did you use for each, including even engine oil, only Ravenol? Never tried this brand before, but i did hear about it and it looks solid.
Used all Ravenol products, one stop shopping, OEM approved Oils. ATF- T-IV G 055 025 A2, Differential front
T-GO 75W-90 GL5, Locking rear differential MDL, Transfer Case TF-0870, Motor Oil VMO 5-40 full Synthetic 502.00

07 V8 FSI (BAR engine code)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Used all Ravenol products, one stop shopping, OEM approved Oils. ATF- T-IV G 055 025 A2, Differential front
T-GO 75W-90 GL5, Locking rear differential MDL, Transfer Case TF-0870, Motor Oil VMO 5-40 full Synthetic 502.00

07 V8 FSI (BAR engine code)
Thanks! Do you remember if in the rear diff(although you have a different one than mine); did you put in 1.0L? Or did it eat straight up 1.25L? I'm asking because some info states 1.0L, other 1.25L. And since i don't have your diff, i would order just 2 litres of the same oil instead of 3, because i can't find it in 0.25L bottles.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I put in 1.25 in rear differential, he sure to undo fill hole first to make sure bolt comes out. I didn't have a problem but was advised by someone here on CT to get fill bolt off first as if there is a problem you won't have differential drained and no way to refill it.

Reactions: vw26

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
I might buy these 1.0l or less fluids from VW since they're not that expensive, unlike ATF fluid.

The transfer box oil is there in the OP, and correct only 850ML.

Me having a R5 engine, even though the Castrol i use is DPF compliant, i don't have a DPF fitted on the car. But since it meets VW 505.01, it's all good.

What about you? What oil do you use? Have you ever changed any of these fluids in the car?
All changed using VW fluids, the ATF because the valve chest was duff and it was under an extended warranty that allowed me to use maim dealers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.