Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark your calendars for our third annual Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally.

July 31 - August 4, Ouray, Colorado

To change this up a little this year, we will move our event base to Ouray for this year and see how it goes. The exact trail listing might change from what is outlined below but that can be figured out literally the night before. I am going to try and figure out a time to get to Andy's in Lake City, maybe for a late group lunch. We will keep the break day on Wednesday, allowing our attendees to explore the area as they see fit. The dates below make up the event. If you are going to attend the entire event, plan for FIVE nights if you plan to leave after the trail ride on Friday or SIX if you will leave on Saturday morning.

If anyone needs a recommendation on a hotel, just ask!

Sunday, July 30 - Arrive in Ouray - no trails planned - group dinner

Monday, July 31 - Lower Engineer, Animas Forks, Cinnamon Pass, American Basin,
Cinnamon Pass -or- Corkscrew (up), Hurricane Pass, California Pass, Animas Forks,
Cinnamon Pass, American Basin to Cinnamon Pass. (all day)

Tuesday, Aug 1 - Silverton to Stoney Pass (all day)

Wednesday, Aug 2 - (Break) Go explore Durango or Telluride areas for the day, overnight
in Ouray - possible trail runs in Silverton area??

Thursday, Aug 3 - Imogene Pass, Telluride, Ophir Pass (all day)

Friday, Aug 4th - Yankee Boy Basin (including upper basin if open), Governor's Basin (if open) - END OF EVENT. Come back next year ;)

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This event is open to anyone with a Touareg, and will we welcome all with open arms!

However, you need to be prepared for the trip. We will spend about 150 miles offroad. You WILL fill your vehicle up wiht dust and dirt. We will be MILES away from the nearest tow truck/repair shop. It is probably that you will do some kind of damage to your vehicles or your wheels. You will eat up a set of stock tires, so I recommend a second or aftermarket set, preferably on 17's, but that is ultimately your choice.

This year, I am making it a requirement to carry a full size spare tire with you. Most of last years particiapants carried and fortunately none of us needed it, but I demonstrated that importance on the first year.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Yes, we did very well last year.... nobody lost a tire.

Hapster did have a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and managed to stick a rock about three inches into the sidewall, but the tire didn't give out... very impressive.

If anyone has an 18 inch Manhattan wheel and is looking for a 17 inch Canyon... I'd be interested in a swap!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dates and itinerary are posted above!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Chris!! So for us thick in the head we will be staying in Ouray the entire time....just hitting all the trails from this location? Just want to be sure before booking.

Cheers

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Ouray for the entire event, at least as far as lodging is concerned. We'll start the day in Ouary and caravan to the various trailheads, and return back for a visit o the biergarten :drunk:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The Ouray Chalet Inn is booking up quick. 21 of their 27 rooms are booked that week... thanks the CSU bringing a hiking group down for the week and the one hotel room I've already booked.

Laura at OCI says to call and she will do what she can to help out --- but it may be tight. If you call, tell her you're with the TOUAREG Off-Road group that R.J. O'Connor talked with her about.

The OCI's number is: 800-924-2538.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: All rooms at the Chalet Inn are booked. if you are thinking of joining us this year, please PM me.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 3rd Annual Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally is about one month away. Personally, I can wait to get down there for a soak in the hot springs. It should be good for my leg.

We are working on a few 'surprises' again for this year. Stay tuned for details. I will also send out more information regarding dinners. Since we have two houses that we can stage a base of operation out of this year, we will probably double up on a few home cooked meals and help cut down on the restaurant costs. If anyone has any meal suggestions, please pass them along.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
HERE'S A TEASER ---

Our good, good, good, good, good, good friends at Volkswagen of America have something for us at this year's rally.

Those of you at last year's rally had the chance to check out a European V6TDI... but before you get too excited --- this "something" I'm talking about isn't an oil burner.

While I'm at it... I want to express a HUGE amount of appreciation to the gang (and you know who you are) at Volkswagen of America that I get talk with every now and again. You're a great bunch of people and it's a pleasure to get to talk with you. :wave:

One day... I'm coming to Auburn Hills to share a beer or two with ya (and I may bring friends !!!) :drunk:

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You wouldn't have to make it out for more than a day or two to have some fun, if you can swing it. If not, plan on joining us next year!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Call in sick for a couple days... we won't say anything!!! :giggle:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Believe me, I'd be there if I could. But, I'll actually be back in Ohio that week, visiting family and such. Using up some of that vacation that I get. Had I thought about it before I bought my tickets, I would have left that week open. Dammit dammit dammit!! :anger:

For future knowledge, do you think it's about a day drive from Vegas to there? Or at least to that general area? MapQuest puts it at 9 hours from Vegas to Ouray.

In the meantime, have fun up there! Enjoy whatever that VWoA surprise is!! And of course, pics are always good!

Matt

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
9 to 11 hours sounds about right!!!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is our official event logo, courtesy of my wife!

27 days to go!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pre Rally Tech Night?

If anyone is interested in getting together on either Thurs. or Friday night before the rally let me know. I could set up an informal affair to look at some new offroad products, check out our vehicles on a lift, review recovery techniques with the Hi-lift and just generally shoot the breeze with a VW mechanic the incredible off-road fabricators at All Phase Offroad in Longmont, CO. If not we'll all catch up at the Rally!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
bump

We're now just under three weeks away and counting!!! :joy:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts