Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster, long time viewer of the forum. I have had my 05 V8 a little over two years, and in the last couple months have been having problems with it starting. It would only get tricky on cold mornings, and usually a jump would get it started, then a couple weeks ago it stopped jumping off, and when trying to charge the battery, it would still not start. I replaced the alternator, thinking this was the issue, and now it will not even turn over or engage the starter.
Looking around here last night, I see lots of issues with the Kessy module, and a lot of the symptoms sound familiar with what I have been experiencing. I have just tried the removal and replacement of fuse sb41 on drivers side box, and now there is no power at all. Dash lights, door beeping, everything is gone and key is stuck in ignition. I could hear a click under the steering column when I removed the fuse, but everything has been dead since replacing it. I hear the starter replace is a huge project, and am hoping there could be something else to be done, at least to figure out why it is not starting. WOuld hate to replace starter, and that not be the problem.
As of now, I am stuck at parents house in rural Miss, over 100 miles from closest dealer. Please help with any suggestions!

Chuck

·
Registered
909 Posts
You are making it more difficult than it is;) You need a new battery. All of the symptoms you cite can be traced to a dead or very weak battery, especially in the power hungry Touareg.

·
Super Moderator
9,684 Posts
You are making it more difficult than it is;) You need a new battery. All of the symptoms you cite can be traced to a dead or very weak battery, especially in the power hungry Touareg.
x2, replace the battery!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take battery out and have it tested. I did change the battery about a year ago. (my first DIY try on this car!) I would think the life of the battery should be longer, but maybe something has caused it to go out. The battery seemed to give power to the radio, lights, everything before I tried removing the fuse 41, and now it is just dead, except for the door dinging, key is stuck in ignition. A new battery will really remedy all of these issues? They should be able to test the battery at autozone, right? Thanks for the help guys, I will try and check the battery, see if that helps.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Before you go to all of the trouble to get the battery checked, try a new 15A fuse in both slot # 41 and slot #6 in the driver's side fuse box. Everything worked before you moved the #41 fuse around; maybe it shorted out when you reinserted it. Also, #6 in also associated with the KESSY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the battery out already, so will have it checked since I need to pick up some fuses anyways. Thanks for the help, I will report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the Battery

Well, after a trip to Auto Zone, they replaced the battery I bought last November under warranty. After getting the new one in and putting new 15 fuses in slots 6 and 41, the car still will not start. I did get what appears to be full electronics working, and was able to remove the key, etc. I can't hear the car trying to turn over or the starter engage. Tried the removing fuse trick to no avail. Any ideas on where I should go from here? Do not know if it is relevant, but there was no fuse present in slot 6 when I went to replace it. Let me know if I can answer any questions about other issues or concerns. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 05' was doing the exact same thing, the battery would drain for no reason. After it was a jump it would act fine. Some cold mornings it would start fine and on misc morning i had to get a jump. I was going to replace the battery but i held back. After reading through this site i found the kessy to drain the battery at times. My kessy doesn't work at all so im kinda putting 2 and 2 together. my question is will the kessy disable the ignition? our can you bypass it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
04 Touareg 50K miles

I have had the same problem. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and still no fix. I am beginning to think of trading it in. It has only gone to the dealer for any and all repairs. Sick of the vehicle. Did you ever get it resolved?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts