Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read quite a few threads regarding transmission issues but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. My wife got stranded on a mountain pass over the weekend when our Treg decided it didn't want to stay in a gear. She said as it started climbing she lost power and the RPMs went up. She pulled over and attempted to get started again and when she would start rolling it felt like it would shift into neutral. This also happened in reverse. I called the tow truck and had it hauled home. I tried it and the problem seemed intermittent. Sometimes it would feel fairly normal in drive, but in reverse it would take time to engage and it would slam into reverse and then felt like it was back in neutral. In triptronic it would behave normally. I could shift up and down without any hard shifts.

I don't live anywhere near a VW dealer and the a local mechanic that I trust can not get it in for a week. I decided I would go out and try to clear the shift program as I have read about. After doing that I took it out for a drive of about 4 miles in and out of town. It seemed to shift just find no matter what I did. I am sure that clearing the program did not fix the issue, but I don't trust it to take it too far. I have read many threads discussing the valve body/chest, but I have not had any issues with hard shifting prior to this. Any suggestions on what it might be?

TIA,
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no signs of any fluid leaking. I will double check tomorrow, but it is parked in the same spot everyday and the concrete is dry.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just to be clear, your wife did not "lose power" - she lost drive because if the revs went up but there was no traction [gearbox] then the power [engine] was fine.

Did she try Tiptronic herself when this happened? [If not, show her how to use it anyway!]

Have you tried it in Sport as well? Is that now okay?

There are a couple of magnets underneath the slider round the gear lever that are part of the gear selection process. These have been known to fall off and upset gear selection, but I can't recall if they impact Tiptronic as well though I'd have thought they do.

There is also a wiring loom immersed in the ATF inside the gearbox that has caused problems for one or two folk in the past, but again, I can't recall the symptoms.

Can you stay local but take the car for a harder, faster, longer run to get the ATF nice and hot? Use the Tiptronic to hold the car in lower gears to warm things up and then see if the symptoms in Drive return.

The other thing is, as always, to put the car on VCDS and see what faults are recorded.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!

noobytooby you are correct she did not lose power from the engine it was all transmission related. I did drive it in Sport mode and it seemed to shift normally. I had thought of the ATF temperature as well and I will take it on a longer drive today. I'll let you all know how that turns out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it out on a longer drive and there wasn't any significant shift problems. It did seem at one point when I was on an open stretch of road that the shift in sport mode from 2nd to 3rd may have slipped a little bit and none of the shifts were hard shifts. In the past it seemed in sport mode that the shifts were much more solid. However, I rarely drive it in sport mode so I don't know if this is something that is normal or not. I did not mention earlier that I don't have a VCDS to look at any faults. I do have a cheap OBDII reader that showed a potential P0735 code but it was not an active code.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Do a tiptronic computer reset / check oil level and hope for the best.

It's probably a combo of the valve body and TC. I just got mine totally rebuilt for 5k.

Reset:

1. Hold gas to floor
2. Turn car on to prestart condition. (DO NOT START)
3. Count 30 seconds and release gas.
4. Do not touch anything else and shut down ignition.

Pray.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to give a quick update on the problem. I found a solution. I drove my Treg 200 miles with no issues to a VW dealer and bought a 2017 Touareg Wolfsburg edition in midnight blue pearl metallic. Not the cheapest solution to the problem but I am happy with how it turned out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts