Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on my 05 V8. I've only owned it for a few months, and was finally able to get my hands on a Vag-Com. It came back with TONS of faults, but most seemed like intermittent electrical faults. The main faults that worry me are in the Engine and Transmission (copied below).

Relating to the engine, my initial searches are pointing towards MAF or a vacuum leak or PCV valve. But with 8 codes, I'm hoping someone can help me narrow that down.

The transmission is also a mystery. I JUST replaced the valve body about 100 miles ago with a rebuilt body from ReamMan. The only thing that seems off a bit is that it sometimes seems to drag a little when shifting into 1st/2nd when coming to a stop The fault code specifically points to Solenoid 4. Is it more likely that I somehow didn't get the wire connect to Solenoid 4 back on tight, or that solenoid 4 is no good and I need another replacement body? Or, is a fault like this possible if I didn't get the fluid level perfect when re-filling. Again, looking for advice.

Thanks
Scan Results:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 077-907-560-AXQ.lbl
Part No SW: 4D0 907 560 DB HW: 8E0 907 560
Component: 4.2L V8/5V G 0010
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: VWZ3Z0D7203159
Coding: 0007875
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 69D7B93B43831176C9-513C

8 Faults Found:
16555 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1
P0171 - 001 - System Too Lean - Intermittent - MIL ON
16558 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2
P0174 - 001 - System Too Lean - Intermittent
16815 - Warm Up Catalyst; Bank 2
P0431 - 001 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent
17831 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 1
P1423 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON
18032 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!)
P1624 - 008 -
17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON
17536 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult)
P1128 - 001 - System too Lean - Intermittent
17538 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult)
P1130 - 001 - System too Lean - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0101

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09D-927-750.lbl
Part No: 09D 927 750 AQ
Component: AL 750 6A 0551
Coding: 0004153
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 7DFFFD6B270B9DD615-513C

1 Fault Found:
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent - MIL ON

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I forgot to mention. The engine seems to run strong, but I do have a throttle lag when starting from a full stop. Once rolling, it seems to have good power. But when you first step on the gas, it really lags. Not sure if that helps, but figured I'd add it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
hi, regarding to your engine faults
system to lean on both banks, P171 and P174 and you also get P1423 Insufficient Flow, Secondary Air Injection System, now there few thing that can trigger these codes: vacuum leak, fuel pump or clogged fuel filter, MAF or IAT sensor, injectors, also you need to check the intake actuator arms, they can be stuck,
i would start form vacuum system and check all the hoses and intake actuator arms,
also its very easy to clean the MAF and IAT sensor but make sure you change the air filters and you will let MAF dry well before putting it back.
this will be a good point to start and then you will see and narrow down the problem
kind regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought about the IAT sensor or the fuel filter. I'll start with the MAF and IAT, and while I'm at it will look over the vacuum hoses. Maybe one gut bumped and cracked or knocked loose when I was replacing the timing belt.

Any insight on the transmission issue. I either want to take the belly pan off and double check all my connections, or just open the fill hole and double check the fluid level. But I was hoping to make in informed decision before doing either.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Vacuum lines are Best place to start with, Just to let you know you will need special tool to get the MAF/IAT sensor out, its like a torx bit but its like a star shaped and it has to have hole in the middle, from the beginning i thought it was ordinary torx but its not, If you have vag com you can hook it up and verify any intake leak fix by monitoring short and long term fuel trim numbers, 02 engine and measuring block 33 for shot and 32 for long term fuel trim, :) as soon as you make any air leak fix you should see numbers changing :) Hope this helps, kind regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have VagCom, but I'm VERY new to it. I'll start by doing a visual inspection of the vacuum lines. I'm up for trying the monitor using VagCom, but it may take me a while to figure it out.

As for OEM fluid, I used Febi ATF when I did the valve body. I read lots of good reviews on it, but no, it's not OEM. I'm planning on double-checking the fluid level tonight (which would be MUCH easier if there was a dipstick by the way), and topping it off if necessary. I'll clear any transmission codes and drive it around to see how it goes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I did the valve body replacement, I didn't have VagCom so I just ran the transmission up to temperature and kept pumping in liquid. But now that I have VagCom, I can run it to 30 degrees C and do it at the right temperature, not just "warm enough".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quick update on the engine codes. I was under the hood Saturday and found a split vacuum hose and a hose disconnected from the right side air filter fitting. I repaired the hose and connected the fitting, and while I was in there replaced 2 dirty air filters. Cleared the fault codes and drove around for a while. The codes did not re-appear. I didn't drive 50 miles or anything, but in my short trip around town, no reoccurrence. So for now, "system lean" seems to have been cleared up by some vacuum leaks. Now on to the transmission solenoid issue....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Fingers crossed for you. Keep us in the loop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts