Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
After a good ultrasonic bath the cams and bearing caps are clean.

The service manual references "marks" on the cams. I couldn't find anything that looked like timing marks. The illustration in the manual shows what appear to be the key-ways for the sprockets. I suppose I'll go look for more info or photos to validate this.

Registered
I suppose my only concern with the replacement parts is that the rollers in the chain are formed rather than solid.

Crankset Automotive tire Tire Bicycle chain Bicycle part

Registered
2004 4.2L Touareg AXQ air suspension
After a good ultrasonic bath the cams and bearing caps are clean.

The service manual references "marks" on the cams. I couldn't find anything that looked like timing marks. The illustration in the manual shows what appear to be the key-ways for the sprockets. I suppose I'll go look for more info or photos to validate this.
These timing marks are small notches on the cams.

Registered
These timing marks are small notches on the cams.
I put each cam in a lathe to rotate and indicate the journals (and polish the witness/wear marks from the seals). I saw no marks except notches that look like keyway slots. I'll take some photos and upload.

Registered
So it appears the sprockets are pressed. There is no key that I can see. Certainly there are grooves/notches.

The torx screws are temporary. They are being replaced with proper cap screws.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Automotive design Rim

Registered
So it appears the sprockets are pressed. There is no key that I can see. Certainly there are grooves/notches.

The torx screws are temporary. They are being replaced with proper cap screws.

View attachment 247692
I think the timing mark should be on the other side of the cams. The timing marks should not be on the same side as the tensioner but on the other side so as to line up with the arrows on the journal caps. Check on the other side of the cams sprockets (opposite to the colored circles on the picture) ie the side where you have the camshaft chain tensioner special compression tool.

Registered
Ok. Well, it does look like this from service manual.

White Organ Jaw Art Organism

View from the back (bearing cap) side:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Crankset Rim

The same groove that produces the "mark" extends all the way through.

Registered
All lined up and torque applied (5Nm+ 1/4 turn).

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

Registered
Test fit of cover with new seals.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Registered
I am starting on the right hand head. All the bits are getting an ultrasonic bath.

I thought maybe I'd rant just a little. Not really rant but ask the question:

Who thought it a great idea to produce a large casting to hold the alternator and at the same time hide the ultra-critical timing belt tensioner? I am not a fan of unnecessary disassembly during repairs. This one could have been easily avoided in the design stage.

Registered
I am starting on the right hand head. All the bits are getting an ultrasonic bath.

I thought maybe I'd rant just a little. Not really rant but as the question:

Who thought it a great idea to produce a large casting to hold the alternator and at the same time hide the ultra-critical timing belt tensioner? I am not a fan of unnecessary disassembly during repairs. This one could have been easily avoided in the design stage.
German over engineering 馃槒

Registered
German over engineering 馃槒
If the tensioner/dampener is a critical element and a maintenance item then hiding it behind a bracket that doesn't actually protect it is pointless. I can see where this would be helpful if it isolated the tensioner/dampener to improve component life. It does not.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts