Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha anyone removed the cylinder heads on these engines without dropping the engine?

Looks like my intake camshaft jump a few links after I replaced the tensioner a pads, should have replaced the tensioner. Now I may have to replace a bunch of bent valves, the whole passenger bank is misfiring and the CPS says it's off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ha anyone removed the cylinder heads on these engines without dropping the engine?

Looks like my intake camshaft jump a few links after I replaced the tensioner a pads, should have replaced the tensioner. Now I may have to replace a bunch of bent valves, the whole passenger bank is misfiring and the CPS says it's off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ever get an answer? I broke what was supposedly a new timing belt so I also have some bent valves on a 2005 V8. Is it possible to remove a head without pulling the engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone mentioned it can be done, and I am in the same situation, timing belt break, all valves bent. I did not see how they were able to remove the heads in situ, but they said it was possible. I would sure like to know how...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Someone mentioned it can be done, and I am in the same situation, timing belt break, all valves bent. I did not see how they were able to remove the heads in situ, but they said it was possible. I would sure like to know how...
I will take lots of pictures. I did replace a head from an 1994 Audi V8 Quattro without removing the engine. It's the same engine but ???? so I am going to try. If I can't do it I'll at least have pictures of why. Not going to happen soon but it will happen this summer as I love the vehicle just not enough to pay someone else to do a valve job for many thousands of dollars. Maybe someone will post a how to before I get around to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will take lots of pictures. I did replace a head from an 1994 Audi V8 Quattro without removing the engine. It's the same engine but ???? so I am going to try. If I can't do it I'll at least have pictures of why. Not going to happen soon but it will happen this summer as I love the vehicle just not enough to pay someone else to do a valve job for many thousands of dollars. Maybe someone will post a how to before I get around to it.
bump

Well? How did it turn out?

I have 2005 V8 I bought for almost nothing. Oil pressure indicates the big-end of the engine is in decent condition. Smoke on startup and rough idle (plus chain whine) indicate the tensioners need to be repaired. Consequently with the cams out I was considering a head rebuild but was looking at the space and wondering if it can done in-situ.

I have worked on other vehicles with similarly close space and was able to remove the heads by loosening the motor mounts and raising the engine a bit. In this case there is he driveline to consider in that process.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had an 06 v8 that broke the timing belt. I pulled the drivers side head to inspect the damage. It was super easy, like so easy I did not even have to get under the car. I even got to the exhaust flange bolts from above. I would guess the pass side would be similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had an 06 v8 that broke the timing belt. I pulled the drivers side head to inspect the damage. It was super easy, like so easy I did not even have to get under the car. I even got to the exhaust flange bolts from above. I would guess the pass side would be similar.
Thanks. I guess I'll take all the covers off the engine and have a look around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. I guess I'll take all the covers off the engine and have a look around.
HI Injuhneer
Did you succeed in getting the head out without dropping the engine?

I have a 2004 AXQ, broke the timing chain and needed to replace the right head. Mechanic did replace the head without dropping the engine, so I believe it is possible to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HI Injuhneer
Did you succeed in getting the head out without dropping the engine?

I have a 2004 AXQ, broke the timing chain and needed to replace the right head. Mechanic did replace the head without dropping the engine, so I believe it is possible to do it.
I haven't started. I did get all the parts needed for the work. Also removed the covers from the engine and bay. It does look like it will come out. I will update this thread (or start a new topic for AXQ head rebuild) once I get started.

I am assuming that at the mileage of the engine that there will be valve work as well so I am also doing some research on parts alternatives for the DIY crowd.

Also there is another thread (subject:T1 4.2 V8 No compression cyl 5/6/7 Head removal) where a CT member removed the heads of an AXQ in-situ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts