Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My touareg has been displaying the check engine light on the dashboard for some weeks now. I noticed when I took the car for oil change about 3 weeks ago. I don't drive the car too often. It currenly has 28k miles. The local stealer, emich volkswagen in Denver, CO, asked for $120 to run the vagcom / diagnostics.

I recently took my car to get the emissions test done. The inspection report states :

Check engine light command status on,
diagnostic trouble codes : P0455, Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected ( large leak ).

Does anybody have any information on this problem?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is the fuel cap properly screwed on?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16839/P0455/001109

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
You don't smell gas anywhere do you? A few cases of the fuel tank seals leaking, but the owners of those said they could catch the smell of gas sometimes near the car.

Also, the first thing recommended for this is a new fuel cap. VW List $36. I see a VW dealer has one for sale online for about that when the shipping is added. It is cheaper then the $120 diagnostic.

I need to buy a fuel cap cause my tether broke and it is bugging me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You don't smell gas anywhere do you? A few cases of the fuel tank seals leaking, but the owners of those said they could catch the smell of gas sometimes near the car.

Also, the first thing recommended for this is a new fuel cap. VW List $36. I see a VW dealer has one for sale online for about that when the shipping is added. It is cheaper then the $120 diagnostic.

I need to buy a fuel cap cause my tether broke and it is bugging me.
waist of time and money to throw parts at the car without testing. P0456 is an easy code to diagnose. Obviously check over prior work and for visual damage from rodents ect.

Check the N80 valve to see if it holds vacuum on the engine side of the valve, if it bleeds off ANY vacuum- replace

verify fuel cap is tight, clear dtc and run tank leak test with a diagnostic scan tool, if it passes then good great grand.
If it fails you will need a smoke machine to pressurize the Vent lines to around 12 inches of water and plug off the charcoal canister vent behind the right rear wheel liner. Run the smoke machine and find the leak, if no leak is found replace the leak detection pump.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what it was but it simply disappeared. I haven't put more gas. When I cold start the car, I occasionally get weird warnings. Time for an upgrade perhaps.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The weird warnings are far more likely to be a low battery as the Touareg is VERY sensitive to low voltage and if you aren't using it much then it will be worth investing in a good battery conditioner and leaving that attached to the car to keep things in good order.

Ctek are very good.

Are you really saying that you have a 2005 V8 with only 28,000 miles on the clock?

If so, hang on to it - by comparison the T3s and T4s are total ****e!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The weird warnings are far more likely to be a low battery as the Touareg is VERY sensitive to low voltage and if you aren't using it much then it will be worth investing in a good battery conditioner and leaving that attached to the car to keep things in good order.

Ctek are very good.

Are you really saying that you have a 2005 V8 with only 28,000 miles on the clock?

I have a battery tender attached after replacing the battery 3 times already. I will never get sick of this view though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ctek are very good.

I have a battery tender attached after replacing the battery 3 times already. I will never get sick of this view though.
I am not sure if this will still be worth while. I just got an 04 about two years ago, I have had a few wiring issues to fix. One thing is if you have a sun roof and the water run off line directly under the drivers seat comes off, there is a wire cluster under there as thick as my arm. That coupled with foam that isn't exactly water resistant leads to a pool of water sitting on and around that wire cluster.

The line can be put back on at any good car glass place. I pulled the carpet up and sprayed the floor pan with that wheel well spray, the rubber stuff, for better protection. I also got some minor repairs done to the wire cluster, and then wrapped it in water proof tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts