Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a step by step on how to get this done? Its apparently located under the passenger side carpet in the footwell but I can't figure out how to get to it? Anyone want to help me out? :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out. Turns out that its right below the passenger side seat and pretty easily accessible. The shop that I took the car to told me that it was flooded by the sunroof run-off but it looks to me like its dry as a bone. Do these things go bad for no reason? Trying to figure out whether the problem is in the harness or in the computer. Anyone have any thoughts or ways to trouble shoot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoping to get some help this evening if possible. Looking at the TCM, here is the code that I see: 09D 927 750 AQ. Above it, it says H29/S0551 AN2. Anyone have any clue how to read that? All of the replacements that I am funding on e-bay vary in small degrees from this one, Should I get a newer TCM from an 06 or 07 Touareg or do I need the exact same one?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What is the TCM? I'm guessing <something> Control Module. Yes?? Depending on what module, you may need VCDS to recode it.

Check your wiring under the carpet. If there was a sunroof leak, water ends up there. On both sides, apparently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission Control Module. And as far as I can tell, everything is dry as a bone. I'll be going in deep tomorrow to make sure. Personally, I am almost hoping for some water damage. Anything that I might be able to physically see and fix!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Can VCDS see it in the module list?

Reset it:

How to:

1. Key on (without starting it).
2. Hold gas pedal down to floor for 10 sec.
3. While holding gas, turn key off.
4. Let off of gas pedal.
5. Key on (do not start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). Touch nothing.
6. Start vehicle while touching nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried that but nothing. So I appear to have all of the symptoms of a bad TCM and all of the wiring/computer is dry and looks to be in good shape. Does the TCM have a fuse that I might be missing? I suppose that the best thing would be to get a new TCM and see if that works, right?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Can VCDS see it in the module list?

Reset it:

How to:

1. Key on (without starting it).
2. Hold gas pedal down to floor for 10 sec.
3. While holding gas, turn key off.
4. Let off of gas pedal.
5. Key on (do not start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). Touch nothing.
6. Start vehicle while touching nothing.
Where did you get that procedure from? It's quite a bit different to the one we've been using for many years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So no moisture anywhere at or around the Transmission or Transfercase Control Modules. Bone dry. Transmission is definitely in LIMP mode. A few other things: no gear readout on the display. In other words, I don't see the PRND1, etc. Also, the passenger side mirror does not appear to adjust itself when I put it in Reverse anymore. What are the chances that the TCM just took a dive? I am thinking about replacing it and seeing if that is the problem.

The shop in San Francisco that I took it to just misdiagnosed the hell out of the car. Basically told me to get rid of it and buy a new one. I beg to differ. Pretty sure that I can get this back on the road for a few bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That seems more like the gearshift switches are not being activated correctly.
Right, but the Transmission is clearly in LIMP mode and I am getting a TCM communication error off the computer.

And as an aside, this all started when I was trying to fix a headlight that I thought has a bad ballast. Any possibility that I shorted the harness or something? Maybe a bad relay or fuse somewhere?

·
Registered
682 Posts
As I said, see if the module checks in with VCDS.

If the transmission is in limp mode, then replacing the module will do nothing.

Also did you remove connections and clean? I never seen a module just "burn out" unless contacted water.

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I said, see if the module checks in with VCDS.

If the transmission is in limp mode, then replacing the module will do nothing.

Also did you remove connections and clean? I never seen a module just "burn out" unless contacted water.

Good luck
Taking it in tomorrow to have them hook it up to their computers and try to figure it out. I just pulled back the carpet on the drivers side and checked all of the splices. Everything looks good with no water damage at all. So the harness looks solid on the drivers side. The TCMs (Transmission and T-Case) are both dry and look great. Replaced the stepper motor. Can't imagine what the problem is. I was working on the headlights right before this happened. Any possibility that something in the headlight harness might have caused this problem? I know that its a long shot but you never know...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go the car back and we are back in business!!! They went through the harness and apparently replaced a couple dozen pins in the harness. Mainly in the cowl with the ECU and also under the shifter on the tranny tunnel. Car is back to normal and now I can tackle the rest of the issues.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Go the car back and we are back in business!!! They went through the harness and apparently replaced a couple dozen pins in the harness. Mainly in the cowl with the ECU and also under the shifter on the tranny tunnel. Car is back to normal and now I can tackle the rest of the issues.
I wish I could go to your mechanic, I have the exact same problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what was the cost for this? I had water damage in my headliner from sunroof drain clog and am now having all sorts of tranny issues. I might need to have my shop check this out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts