Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has his xenons and wires are bare insulation is dried up and falling off what to do can’t find new assembly’s any other options?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Rewire them: it's a fiddle but it's doable.
And fit new, genuine bulbs from Philips or Osram.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Lots of used units on ebay. Just make sure you get the right part number. Xenons come in two type. Remove the headlight and check the part number. Careful not to buy halogen only. New units are available for like 1400$ for both left and right last time I checked. New from vw are like 900$ each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Remove all of the insulation from an individual wire that had not already fallen off;
Cut that wire in two;
Re-insulated each half with heat-shrink and shrunk it down;
Fed a 25mm piece of heat-shrink on one half;
Crimp the both halves together using crimps used for crimping fishing wire traces using the smallest crimps you can find for the wire size;
Fed the 25mm piece of heat-shrink over the crimp;
Shrink the heatshrink over the crimp.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
8 Posts
Electrical tape are heat resistant, usually to around 100C. The Hid Bulb will surely get hotter than that, but the bulb it self is inserted into the housing which is insulated. The wiring is behind this and well separated between the source of heat and the wiring. It is unlikely the temperature at the wiring will exceed 100C, so using electrical tape will probably be fine. That being said, I've used electrical tape to tape up frayed wiring and it's held up for the past few years with no sign of wear or degrading yet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I find that the glue in electrical tape will, over time, degrade. That is why I used heatshrink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts