Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 T1 AXQ V8
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing all the top-end work on a T1 V8 it is leaking oil on bank 1. Not much but enough to cause the occasional puff of smoke.

I have had the cam cover off, cleaned it thoroughly, and put it back with a new, proper gasket. Also put sealant at the designated points on the gasket. Twice I have done this because general advice is that the covers are hard to seal. I had no problem with the bank 2 side. Even after having to disassemble bank 2 (for timing correction) and reassemble it seals up with no issue.

The cap at the end of the EX cam is not leaking. The half round seal was replaced. The adjuster is new. What else could be leaking?

·
Registered
2005 V8
499 Posts
I am in the same boat with my Treg. I can see the new gasket is oil free but still have a minor leak but must admit the half rounds were not replaced. I found a post on the Audi forum where the owner stated the same problem and had good results after replacing the PCV valve with a new OEM valve. According to him the aftermarket valves are dodgy. I had a spare aftermarket valve that I installed and want to say the leak is less but still there.

·
Registered
2005 T1 AXQ V8
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I transplanted the internal components of a valve (the diaphragm and spring) from a BMW valve. I guess I need to look at it again. There is suction against the crankcase. If so then the oil leak is pressure related then it must be coming from the chain adjuster.

·
Registered
2005 T1 AXQ V8
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check all the lines that carry crankcase gases. Several of the clamps were replaced. The PCV seems to be working correctly. I have the same result; a very small leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts