Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2004 V8 Touareg in 2006 used with about 35K miles (I'm now up to 73K miles). I purchased an extended warranty as well at time of sale. Unfortunately, the financial institution that serviced the warranty has recently declared bankruptcy. I've had several repairs common to the 2004 Touareg:

- Replaced driveshaft
- Serviced airconditioning
- Turned off tire pressure monitors
- Reset ABS brake failure alert
- Replaced wood panelling and various controls

At this point, do I need to purchase another extended warranty? Are there other common problems with the 2004 that would cost $$$ and would be covered under a warranty? I feel like I've made it through the worst (although this vehicle always keeps me guessing), and my extended warranty options are limited to 3 years. I don't want to sink another $3.5-4K in this vehicle. I mean, I need to save up for my next $2K break replacement :) There is an engine fan that continues to run for 10m after the engine is shut off, but I think this is normal? Other than that, no signs of major issues (I'm ignoring the key battery alert).

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, you need a warranty at all times.
Sorry, but no, the fan running 10 m or 1m after the engine is off is not normal :) I have had the same happen after I went through puddle. The problem went away by itself in a few days, but I was worried and still I went to one dealer they said I need to replace the fan module assembly ($1600). ;) I almost said OK (I have extended warranty), but went to another dealer for an oil change and had them check everything. The second dealer said the water might have gotten into the module and dried up and now all is OK. So, the first dealer wanted to just scam me and my warranty for $1600. So, if you've driven through puddles recently, etc you might have the same thing.

BTW, did your extended warranty cover 'Replaced wood paneling and various controls'? How did you make them do it? Even with my VW factory warranty they wouldn't touch that.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
You have a cooling issue. Mine was a thermostat and malfunctioning waterpump.
Expensive repair and then not since you might as well do the timing belt (at 80k normally) at the same time.

Paying $2000 for brakes is nuts. You can get a very good aftermarket set for $700 that costs about $200 to put on (or do it yourself. It is very easy)

You can not get another good extended warranty either too many miles.
I have 132k on mine, never had an extended warranty and repairs have been manageable. Do not go to the dealer. They rip you off. Find a good independent and buy your own parts ( ask a VW mechanic if he is willing to work nights and weekends on the side).

PS: You just showed me another reason not to get a warranty ( they can go out of business)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Wood panelling and the standard cosmetic defects were repaired under the factory warranty. The extended warranty would only cover me for the next 3 years, so I will be driving without a warranty at some point (correct assumption?). Based on the second reply, it looks like I will need to take my touareg back to the shop. Perhaps $3.5K for the warranty is worth it if I know I will have a repair that will cost about 1/3 to 1/2 that amount right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, it's perfectly normal for the fan to run after you've shut it off. It circulates coolant as it's still hot. It uses the fan because you're not moving to force the air through the radiator. Every vw I've had has done this.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
My fan never runs once I shut it of.
Timing belt is about $1800 at the stealership.
Next time I have it done it will be less than $1000 (somewhere else)

At markus, you can not get an extended warranty anymore. Too old and too many miles

·
Registered
37 Posts
i am currently shopping for my 06 treg V8 , warranty experies next month and i have 32Kmls and car has been bullet proof knock wood. i am definitely getting an extended warranty, heard too many horror stories. love the car though! Jerry smith of royal automotive was posting he could offer extended warranties with major discounts but he does not respond to vm or email so i guess he dropped of the map. i received a quote from vw of langhorn for a vw platinum coverage for 6yr/60Kmls (i only drive 9K mls/yr) at usd 1682.00 plus 6% tax. any thoughts? I have had higher quotes and this one seems to be the cheapest...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the quote I received 6 months ago was about $3.5K for 3 years or 50K miles. I don't recall if it was upfront or incremental. I paid for my first extended warranty upfront (unfortunately).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with a mechanic this morning, who indicated that the fan running longer than 3 minutes would be a problem. So, I tested the vehicle twice, driving approx 5-10 minutes each time around central Austin. What's interesting is that, in both cases, the fan cut off at EXACTLY 2minutes and 20 seconds. I'll keep testing my vehicle this week, but it appears that this may not be a defect.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i am currently shopping for my 06 treg V8 , warranty experies next month and i have 32Kmls and car has been bullet proof knock wood. i am definitely getting an extended warranty, heard too many horror stories. love the car though! Jerry smith of royal automotive was posting he could offer extended warranties with major discounts but he does not respond to vm or email so i guess he dropped of the map. i received a quote from vw of langhorn for a vw platinum coverage for 6yr/60Kmls (i only drive 9K mls/yr) at usd 1682.00 plus 6% tax. any thoughts? I have had higher quotes and this one seems to be the cheapest...
I spoke with Chris as well. The price of an extended warranty is based on current mileage and if the vehicle is still covered under the factory warranty.

According to Chris, the best prices are when you are still covered and have less than 35k miles. He also stated the the year of the vehicle has no impact on pricing.

In my case I have 34k miles and factory coverage until 12/2010. The most expensive plan, longest term, most miles, and non deductible = just under $2500 including sales tax.

I think it is a 6 year 72k miles on top of current miles. Platinum coverage. Considering I am in a V10, that is a cost of $400 per year. Really cost effective if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.