Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving this car for a couple of years, no issues. I bought it officially from a friend last year and have had a few issues with it.

I've got a majority of them fixed but I'm still left with a few problems. One of them being a big battery drain, which I can't find the issue at all. I've replaced the battery, but just to "CHECK" the issue everyone wants to charge me nearly $300 and that's not even to fix the problem. Brakes / pads and rotors need to also be replaced, and of course the jockey box no longer stays closed.

I believe the issue is either the alternator itself or something to do with the Navigation unit I've read.

Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm looking for recommendations on trustworthy mechanics with great pricing. I am also underwater on the car, so this also means selling it will be a pain, if you have any recommendations here I'd be willing to listen. It's not a call to get out of the loan, I agreed to it, I owe the money that's fine, but I'm throwing away nearly $300 + a month with a car that just sits in my driveway.

I am in between Logan, UT and SLC, so any one in or between those areas would be great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a vag-com? I'm up in SLC and could swing by and do a scan for you. No testimony on mechanics since I just moved here, but Wofford's European Car comes highly recommended, haven't used them, but just thought I'd pass it along

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I believe the issue is either the alternator itself or something to do with the Navigation unit I've read.
There is also a third possibility. We have quite a few people having battery charging issues that are turning out that the electrical grounds need to be cleaned. This has just started being a common problem in the last 12 months.

Get a VCDS and measure the battery voltage via VCDS while the engine is running, while all possible devices (headlights, fan, etc) are running.

If you have a car battery charger that gives %charged readout when you hook it up, you will find that the battery is of a low charge. Apparently when this happens, the charging system never fully charges the battery. From the drivers side, it seems like the battery is nearly dead, but the problem is that the battery is never getting charged back up. Either way, you have a battery without enough charge in it to start the car.

The good news is bad electrical grounds are usually easy and cheap to fix. Finding them (diagnostic) will cost more then fixing them.

One owner actually checked and found the ground cable in the engine bay had started to deteriorate. So, have the mechanic look over that one wire to be sure that it is still in good shape. It was obvious, via a visual check, that the wire was going bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts