Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a good shop to repair or replace the front diff in the Sacramento area . the local vw dealership quoted $4300.00. hard to believe a car with only 75000 miles on would trash a diff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
that is low milage, can't help you on your question but I had to replace my front diff at 200,000 km ( i'm in Australia) I did a secondhand replacement and cost around $1000, there could be many factors contributing to differential failure, You know with these regs they are temperamental, The slightest thing as different tire wear from front to rear could cause issues, sorry I couldn't help good luck with your repair ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you find a transmission shop they can tear the diff apart and replace the bearings, timken makes the bearings for VW and you can get the part numbers directly off the bearings. Or look up an audi Q7, they have the same diff and for whatever reason audi is allowed to repair unlike vw who only replaces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

If you find a transmission shop they can tear the diff apart and replace the bearings, timken makes the bearings for VW and you can get the part numbers directly off the bearings. Or look up an audi Q7, they have the same diff and for whatever reason audi is allowed to repair unlike vw who only replaces.

Thanks good info , also looking into one from a wreck, found one off the same year v8 owner parting out car for 300.00 bucks might be worth the gamble .

are the v8 front diffs all the same in 2004 ? and has anyone done a diff install , how difficult are they to swap?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tdi may have a different differential but I do believe all gasoline powered cars have the same diff for the T1, it's no small job but attainable on jack stands.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Guys I´m also in a need of front differential but the quote of the dealer is past $5500 USD dollars plus labor ( I´m in Mexico ) for a 2007 V8, any idea where I can buy one remanufactured in the US, because down here I can´t find anyone who gives that type of service !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts