Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently informed by my shop that one of my intake manifold runner flap linkage rods was broken. If you have an early V8, it was the bottom of the two. They are plastic, must take a lot of stress. Some of the problems are talked about here:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/manifold-intake-runner-problems-65335.html

My car didnt have any running problems, the shop was rather surprised my engine runs very well. Doing some googling and reading here, and elsewhere including the VW SSP's, these rods are the linkages that control airflow into the engine. If one is broken it can greatly degrade the flow of air into the engine affecting performance.

The solution, as found here, are replacement billet aluminum rods made by gruvenparts.com in Atlanta:

Audi/VW 4.2 V8 Intake Manifold Linkage Arms - Gruven Parts

VW will be happy to have you purchase a replacement. For about $500! :mad: It comes as a repair kit that includes the vacuum unit and some other stuff. The shop quoted two hours labor! to replace a small replaceable plastic part that probably costs 5 cents to make.

I just installed the gruvenparts.com billet aluminum rods yesterday.

Arent they pretty??

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

Took about 10 minutes. The result???

O-M-G..........:eek:

This thing is a BEAST!!!!! :D This rig is definitely more Porsche than VW!!

We've got a lot of steep hills around here and the grades are usually pretty long, from 1/2 to 1 mile. I have to go up one to get to the house, and its a mile UP from where I turn off the freeway to get up here. Very Steep. The car just goes up like its nothing. Before, it felt like it was running out of breath. Not any more....................

So the moral of the story is...if you have one of these motors, go out and open the hood and check those rods. If one or both is broken, you arent getting the full benefit of that beast under the hood.

--Karl
Somewhere zooming past traffic in Seattle in BEAST MODE.....!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I assume you checked that the shafts that the links connect to turn freely in the bushings. Typically the connectors break when the shafts are partially or completely frozen. You can pull the bushings and clean out the bores with a dremel. There are step by step diy's to show how.

If not too bad, perhaps a shot of penetrant might free them up. I give them a squirt at every oil change. I bought two of the Gruven arms, but am using only one, now that I have freed up the shafts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you checked that the shafts that the links connect to turn freely in the bushings. Typically the connectors break when the shafts are partially or completely frozen. You can pull the bushings and clean out the bores with a dremel. There are step by step diy's to show how.

If not too bad, perhaps a shot of penetrant might free them up. I give them a squirt at every oil change. I bought two of the Gruven arms, but am using only one, now that I have freed up the shafts.
Johnk, thanks. yes, I checked them and they move freely. I have the DIY in case I want to do this, but I do not see the need to.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
while you are there check the diaphragms for cracks or splits in the rubber. After this amount of time the rubber does not fair that well and you could have a small hole or two

1 - 4 of 4 Posts