Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I've had this 2004 V8 for about a year now, maybe a little less. It used to be that I would get at least 360 miles to a tank if I drove with a lead foot, or up to 430 if I was light on the throttle and spent a lot of time on the freeway. Anyway, I can't seem to break 280 now, even if I'm light on the throttle. It has new tires, factory size, inflated properly. It has clean air filters. I replaced the plugs with NGKs. No CEL. I don't think I've really lost power, but it's been going on for a few months and I may just not have noticed the drop in performance if there was one. Any thoughts!? I have an appointment to have it looked at, but would really rather not spend the money to have it diagnosed. :\

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
280 miles is spot on for me. If you gander at my Fuelly (granted I have a V6) I'll get 280 miles on a 20 gallon fill up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The V8 has, I think, a 26 gallon tank. And at 15mpg I should be getting 390! I understand that drops with a lead foot, but what I'm getting now is pretty far from what I was getting. It literally never gave less than 360 miles per tank, and if I was easy on it, up to 430! Something is amiss.

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
The tanks are the same size between the two engines, ~26 gallons.

When you fill up from roughly empty or near red, how many gallons does it take? About 26? Because for me, I'll fill up when it alerts me to, and I'll get 20 or 21 gallons on fill-up. Does that mean I really have 5 or 6 gallons to spare? Hmmm...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right. It takes 22-23 depending how low it gets before I fill up.

I used NGK Iridium plugs.

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
Hopefully someone with a T1 V8 can share their range numbers.

My V6 is 280, though that's 50% city. ALL highway is near 360 with 20 gallon fill-up.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Remove the plastic trim at the front of your motor and see if your intake manifold actuator arms are broken. In the picture below you can see the black plastic arms. They are not broken in the picture.

My 2004 V8 had both of the plastic arms broken and after I replaced them with the metal ones from Gruven Parts, my fuel economy improved and I had more power.

gruvenparts.com - Billet / Composite 4.2L V8 Intake Manifold Linkage Arms

Here is a pic with the new metal arms:

If they are broken, do a search on this site and you'll find lots of info regarding replacing the intake manifold actuator arms.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that you mention it, I do believe I recall seeing those broken. I have to double check though. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just went downstairs and looked. Those arms are indeed broken. Thank you so much! I totally forgot about those arms being broken. Now I can spend the money on what is likely a fix, rather than paying $100 for them to tell me the plastic arms are broken and that it'll be $800! Lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Depending on how long they have been broken, you may have to lubricate the actuators because they may have seized. Try to move them with your hand and see. Also read up on the threads here, there may be a DIY.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That's good, buy the billet arms from Gruven Parts and you'll be good to go.

You should see your fuel economy increase and 20% more HP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Already ordered the Gruven arms! What kind of economy disparity does this problem create? Could it solely be responsible for my drop from a 360 mile to 280 mile per tank number (On the low end)?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Absolutely, I saw my mileage drop from 13 MPG mostly city driving to 10 MPG with the broken arms. Then after replacing them, it went back up to 13 MPG.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can someone post some better pictures with maybe some nice little circles drawn around them. I've been getting worse than you guys...

·
Supreme Member
2,372 Posts
7thgenvic said:
Can someone post some better pictures with maybe some nice little circles drawn around them. I've been getting worse than you guys...
I'd like that too. Do the VR6s have this same set up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure about the V6s, but here's a video the V8. The arms he was referring to are the ones that connect the actuators to those vacuum plungers or whatever you'd call them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts