Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
As some of you might remember, I also have battery draining problem in my TReg.
My Treg is fully loaded except the rear differential lock.

I see that there are too many misterical solutions are there from alternator cable to rain sensor, An untightened ground to Kessy, etc

Today,
Since there are too many issues with some not properly tightened ground cables, i will start examining those. I think there is one under driver seat, one at rear of the vehicle and one in the right side? of the engine block.
If you know any other that needs to be checked, that will be great.

If tomorrow, again no sucess, i will start measuring the AMP while the vehicle is in sleep mode and i will start removing the fuses one by one.

My Questions are
1- if the issue is the compass, i can find one from Germany(i have very good friends that they can supply what i need). BUt i didnt see any serial number of the compasses that are defective. Is that some series that needs to be replaced or some number of defective ones with the same Serial#? I mean, could buying the same serial number will solve my problem?

2- If it is the Nav unit, my FW is 635. Is that FW a fix for the NAV draining battery issue or is that something else? So what i mean is even though the NAV unit is updated, could it still cause the draining issue? I mean is there any success that the FW is updated and no more draining.

3- KESSY: if i have a defective KESSY, then things will be more drammatic i guess that the dealer will involve. Anyways. I will start controling my ground cables tonight and keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All, just the status update, i checked the ground cable under the driver seat and it is fine, I removed the radio fuses (2 of them on the passenger side), and the battery isnt drained so i will follow up a week or so to see what will happen. (it drains the battery every night and i jump start the vehicle every morning) So i guess it is the NAV Radio but will see.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ONe more day passed and battery is still alive
Suppose to be dead by now.
But i will keep monitoring it for one more week to see what will happen

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All again,
one more status update,
it has been 1 week now. THe car is parked in my driveway and i didnt drove it except for chainging the oil, i moved it back and forth, and didnt see any drain.
So most probably it is my Nav Unit.

So i am planning to go with a RNS510 upgrade to my Treg, but i still couldnt understand what i need to do for the digital amp.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
burton123 how old is your battery? When was it last replaced?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you haven't already, I'd have the battery tested and make sure there isn't a bad cell. IF you haven't done so already. Better to look at the simple small stuff before you move onto those bigger items.

I had a motorcycle recently that failed to start. Really sounded like a starter gear was cracked. I almost ordered all the parts. Turned out it was just a weak battery. Battery charger and jump-starting didn't fix it. A new battery did.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, do you know where can i make my battery tested?
Like Napa/Schucks? Actually i have 7 years of warranty for the battery. So i can go to Napa and replace it right? or do they check at first and then replace it?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Most of those places can test them. But their testers are often inside on a rack. Requiring you to remove the battery. Ask if they have a portable tester that you can hook onto the terminals in the engine bay.

The other option. I know the dealers often have a nice digital tester that puts a known load on the battery and even prints out a receipt of what the battery is vs. how it should perform.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can take the battery easyly, it is not a big deal. Actually you might be correct that there could be something with the battery,
Because on previous battery the symtopms are,
* Keyless stop working,
* I start seeing some wierd erros on MFD2(System Fault WOrkshop, HeadLights...)
then Dead Battery
This time i see those in same order so it could be a dead cell. I will remove the battery today and go the Napa

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ya wouldn't hurt to start there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i definetly agree that,
but there is still a question mark that why battery doesnt drain when the radio and amp fuses are out.

Anyways, i will remove the battery and let them check at first and share the results

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Again, I took my battery to Napa and let them tested and i am told that the battery is OK.

It has been more than 3 weeks now with radio fuses are removed and i didnt have any dead battery anymore so problem is most probably related with my radio

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One More Update and thanks for the extended warranty, they replaced my KESSY unit today, i will go and grap the car at 6:30pm PST
I guess now i need to press the brake to crank the engine :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got my Treg and everything is as expected. I need to press brake to start the engine. Driver door opens automatically when i grap the handle but for all the other doors, i need to pull one time to open it. Is it something expected?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Battery Drain Issues

Hi Burton123,

I am also experiencing the same problem, with a few others. Where is the fuse for the radio located so I can try this too.

Thank you,
Tina
2004 V8
Shelton, WA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Burton123,

Just to let you know that I had this same problem in the past thinking it was the battery. Replaced it twice and on the third time, it was obvious that it wasn't the problem. i too have a '04 Treg with very low mileage. I had taken to dealer for testing several times. I have extended warranty with Fidelity as well. The problem? It was the ground cable. Apparently, there was a recall sometime ago for '04s concerning these defective cables that was draining the battery. It's a $200 part plus labor that I did not have to pay, but I had a deductible though. Since then, I have no problem. Thought I share you what happened to mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi All... Im having the battery drain issue as well. This is the third battery in the last month and half (luckily all under warranty) that I replaced. Now, I have not checked the grounds yet I'll move onto that next but I do have an after market RNS510 replica chinese unit. I actually got this about a year ago and had no issues with the battery drain until just recently so I don't think that is the issue.

About the defective cables, do you know the part number of the cable or can you snap a picture of it? Im wondering if that can be the problem in mine. Im hoping its not the KESSY, what would be the signs of the KESSY going out anyway?

Appreciate all your help! Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Burton123,

I am also experiencing the same problem, with a few others. Where is the fuse for the radio located so I can try this too.

Thank you,
Tina
2004 V8
Shelton, WA

it is in the passenger side fusebox. I canr remember which one it is, but it was written in the manual, i took 2 of the fuses, one of them is for the readio, the other one is for the digital amp

·
Registered
130 Posts
After two days with the radio fuse out it appears that the car starts right away, feels like it has more power when turning the key. And I have not received the "Air Conditioning Off" message in the MDF. I will probably shop for an Automatic Power Off unit so it cuts off the radio power to the radio completely after 5 minutes.

Anyone had done this?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 99 Posts