Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a problem today. I have a 2004 V8 with 152,000 miles that I have had since new. The car has been trouble free until today. I got the "Stop Fault Running Gear". I realized that the rear air suspension will not go any lower then the Auto setting. The rear will go up in the off road and X'tra level but when I lower the suspension the rear will not go any lower then the Auto setting. When I'm in sport mode the front is lower then the rear and thats when i get the "Stop Fault Running Gear" . When I try to lower the car in "load level" I get the "pressure tank filling" warning.
The compressor pump works fine and I can hear it run.
Any idea's?

Thanks for the help
Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: 10-4-19

This is odd, but I had my friend clear the codes and now everything is working again. I have put on 1,200 miles since we cleared the codes and they have not returned. Suspension is working great.

I would advise before you take the car in to a dealer so they can start replacing parts that will cost you big $$$, I would first clear the codes and see if they return.

I will post an update if anything changes.
Thanks

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
731 Posts
Code clearing is not a “cure all”. The issue that caused the problem is still there. I would keep an eye on the vcds codes and see if you are able to diagnose. Vcds will show an error that is intermittent, then you can address before it becomes a fault.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
^^I agree with the above.

I always (1) save codes (2) clear codes (3) test system

Then, if the code clear appears to fix the system, I watch it for the next few months. You need to run a few scans to look to see if any intermittent error pops up. These types of errors you will not know about unless you scan. They do not set off any errors for the driver.

Take it back to your friend and get it scanned again before you decide that all is well. If you don't see any new errors, you are probably good.

If you get intermittent errors, you have some more troubleshooting to do. You can drive with the errors, but they usually get worse. Usual procedure is to fail at the worst possible time, often when it turns -10 degrees in the middle of winter. Best to fix them sooner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said its been 25 days and over 1,200 miles since we cleared the codes and nothing came back. The system works perfect. Everyday as I'm driving I play with the air suspension and everything is working perfect. I have driven in the rain, towed my boat, went on a 5hr trip, and drove it through a car wash and no problems. And yes we have ran a scan twice now for any errors and nothing is wrong. I also went to have my battery tested to see if it was going bad since bad batteries will cause all kinds of electrical problems but it passed so I have no idea what caused the codes. I refuse to just start replacing parts for the sake of replacing parts! I won't worry about this anymore until the error returns and if it does It won't be a huge inconvenience since I own other vehicles that I can drive while I repair the issue.
I have had this vehicle since 2004 and has almost 154,000 miles and it has been one of my most reliable vehicles ever!

I will post an update if the problem returns.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Sounds like you are in the clear with your two additional post problem scans. Keep your fingers crossed, knock on some wood, and Good Luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts