Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone encountered a dealer mechanic telling you need a new engine for your Touareg? We are having a hard time swallowing the news.
Here's the whole long story, would LOVE feedback:
Ours has 66k miles, and we have treated it well.
Check engine light came on Christmas Eve day (Murphy's Law). Checked the oil the same day, and was at low end of normal. We were due for an oil change in just over 1k miles. Notice car not idling well, a little shake that disappears when gased. Made an appointment with the dealer - not my normal mechanic as I had a 50% off "Engine Light Diagnostic" coupon - for the first day they had a loaner available, January 18th.
Avoided driving, but as its our only car, did have to make some trips. Last Saturday, the 8th, start it up, hear horrible noise, engine light begins blinking.
Turned it off, called roadside, and had it towed to the dealer.
Today, first thing this AM, Dealer says we need new spark plugs. Fine, do it, done.
Then, 4 hours later am told the engine is shot. Lost all 4 on the left side. After billions of questions, they tell me they don't know for sure because its too labor intensive to get in the block. That they took pressure readings, and found that the oil feeder to the left side of the engine was blocked with sludge and likely starved it. Tell me its my fault for not getting the oil changed (I have impeccable records disproving this).
Where do I go from here? What do I do now?
In the last six months, I've replaced the thermostat and the tires, I just can't believe this now too.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That is terrible news, have you talked to your normal dealer? Something this big, I would want a second opinion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
what they said makes sense, but get a second opponion. The place you normally took it for oil changes, did you watch them add oil? They could have been using a non synthetic. I know when i purchased mine from a dealer they had changed the oil and put a 3k mile sticker on it so i knew it wasnt synthetic.

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
what they said makes sense, but get a second opponion.
While it's not normal at all, what they are saying doesn't sound incorrect.

I would make sure that all your records state that a VW502.00 approved synthetic oil was used, and being 6k out of power train warranty, contact VWoA to see if they will help you out at all.

In the past we have seen excessive oil usage on a variety of the 4.2L motors (although, never on a Touareg)

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have also seen VW cover some of these problems. Just don't go ballistic with VW .... they will most likely help you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not all synthetics are the same and can led to excessive coking/sludge build up. Do you know what type of oil was being used? Was the MIL light blinking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for taking so long to update, we really do appreciate the feedback.

So far VW of America has only offered a $1,500 loyalty certificate good for purchase or lease on a new VW vehicle. We were very nice, explained the circumstances, but they didn't even want to see documentation, just said we were too far outside of any sort of warranty to help.

The dealer, whom we purchased the vehicle from, has been very nice and understanding. The offered us $5,500 on the - now - shell of a car, and their price on any car in the lot for trade-in.

We don't know what to do... Went through the engine with the shop foreman and it is indeed done. Baked on sledge, the timing belt torn to shreds, metal everywhere. Very underwater on this car now, and just don't want to continue throwing money at the problem.

Funnily enough, my old college car, a 1983 Mercedes Diesel with 277k miles on it, is now our daily driver and could not be running better. Think we may be done with VW...

·
Registered
442 Posts
before you bought the car.. if you did a carfax did it show the vehicle being serviced by VW? in fact you could pull a carfax now and look at the history... most car fax reports i looked at would indicate when the vehicle was being brought in.... thats not saying the previous owner was anal like me and did the oil changes to the T.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get shot of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sludge

I am having similar sludge issues and have not decided what my next step will be. Issue may be from using oils other than full synthetic and very short drives without engne warming up. My local garage looked at me like I was crazy. I had dealer do a flush and synthetic oil use seems to be improving condition. An engine overhaul was suggested but as an option a second flush including running engine at 3k RPM for a while with flush in engine a second option. I am concerned that the flush leads to further deterioration of sensitive parts but may go for it if dealer assures me will not further damage engine. I have not heard any specifics yet as to what VW will do but there was suggestion that they would "help me out". I read something possibly in this forum that Oil suction tube should be done in addition to flush. I have found bobtheoilguy.com a great source for all oil related issues. I have noticed a minute or two warmup and trying not to idle if engine not allowed to warmup is helping until I get back to dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
before you bought the car.. if you did a carfax did it show the vehicle being serviced by VW? in fact you could pull a carfax now and look at the history... most car fax reports i looked at would indicate when the vehicle was being brought in.... thats not saying the previous owner was anal like me and did the oil changes to the T.
We had a carfax originally, but I don't remember it including service records. We just have the service records from when the dealer changed the oil just prior to sale. The shop foreman said it could have been do the previous owner not taking care of it, as we haven't put that many more miles on it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If he been changing the oil regular why would it be slege build-up?? and what about what it says in the manual if you use the vw approved oil then it should not be the oil as his problem... maybe a head-gasket crack or something got water in the oil and from then on messed up the motor without his knowledge or anyone else?

btw do you only suppose to use synthtic VW approved oil?

I'm not sure but to me If I had a shop with a hoist/tools ect,,ect,, it don't look all that hard to pull the motor out take it apart and see what the problem is?..boy if I could I'd sure try it..makes me so mad cauz I can't... phyiscally unable.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts