Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had my car towed from the dealer back home yesterday. My hubby plans to do the repairs they suggested himself and see if it helps. They quoted $8500 hundred to replace the battery(not sure why I suddenly have a bad battery), fixing the fuel leak, and replacing the pumps. Not only is that just way to much, but they aren't sure it will fix the issue. So he is planning on using the guides here and see what we end up with. I am hoping Heidi can be saved, but starting to look for a replacement just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a question, when the problem first started, did the engine stumble and sputter to a stop or did the engine just stop as if you turned the key off. Also, the fuel pumps, if you smell gas in the car, do you see any on the ground, most likely the flange or filter is leaking, lift the back seats and remove the covers you should be able to see the leak

·
Registered
5 Posts
VW Touareg Audi Q7 fuel pump replacement DIY by Edge Motors, I found this utube video a while back that really helped me get a hold on changing my fuel pumps, bought a pair of them from rock auto, 1 is the transfer pump Passenger side, the other is the main pump, the transfer pump only runs for a minute after the car starts and at time of high accelerations, the main pump starts when you start the car, with the seats lifted, carpet lifted and floor covers removed you can hear the fuel pumps run in most cases. RUN from the dealer, these cars are not that hard, two things to think about fuel and fire, I suspect the main fuel pump, however I would also consider the speed sensor, if it looses the signal to the ECM, the ECM will cut off the fuel pumps and ignition, you would need you to check a few things

·
Registered
5 Posts
also these parts aren't cheap, a fuel pump is 2-$300, depends on the one you choose speed sensor about a 100 bucks, but compared to the dealer wow, pretty cheeep cheeep, just takes a bit of time and patients.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
since the dealer was going to charge $400 to replace the battery and we got a battery for $200 and the dealer quoted $1400 for replacing the fuel pumps, I think we will come out ahead. Well as long as it works lol

Heidi cranks just like normal then sputters and dies. Sometimes though she stays alive, but when you press the gas there is no idea what she will do. That is why they replaced the throttle sensor at first.

We haven't noticed any leaks under the car. We haven't started investing, yet. The dealer wasn't sure where the leak was so they quoted replacing the entire fuel system including the tank.

I am hoping we aren't looking at too big of an issue. Thank you all for the advice, videos, guides, and support. I'll keep updating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would think its the main fuel pump, not to bad to change, the leak I would suspect someone changing the fuel filter or opening the tank, left a leak at the top flange or cracked the filter top, good luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
since the dealer was going to charge $400 to replace the battery and we got a battery for $200 and the dealer quoted $1400 for replacing the fuel pumps, I think we will come out ahead. Well as long as it works lol

Heidi cranks just like normal then sputters and dies. Sometimes though she stays alive, but when you press the gas there is no idea what she will do. That is why they replaced the throttle sensor at first.

We haven't noticed any leaks under the car. We haven't started investing, yet. The dealer wasn't sure where the leak was so they quoted replacing the entire fuel system including the tank.

I am hoping we aren't looking at too big of an issue. Thank you all for the advice, videos, guides, and support. I'll keep updating.
If the pumps have never been replaced in 12 years would replace both sides and both the filter assembly and pressure regulator assembly. Would not use anything other than OEM or VDO products. VDO are less cost the filter assembly is $100, whereas VW OEM is $156 . Drivers pump is about $340 and passenger pump $220. The regulator assembly is $90 if VDO and about $200 if VW . Funny thing my original pumps and flanges were all VDO products not VW.

Doubt the leak is the tank. If you want to save some money just replace the pump behind the drivers seat and the filter assembly flange. Make sure you also order gaskets for the flanges as they are not provided. VW costs about $12.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Heidi lives again! We replaced the fuel tanks and she is back to purring like a kitten. The battery the dealership wanted to replace is just fine and we traced every fuel line and could not find a leak. I am beyond thrilled to have my car back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ooops I meant to say fuel pumps not tanks. We followed the video on here and it was pretty simple. The longest part was waiting for the parts to come in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Heidi lives again! We replaced the fuel tanks and she is back to purring like a kitten. The battery the dealership wanted to replace is just fine and we traced every fuel line and could not find a leak. I am beyond thrilled to have my car back.
Great!

I was just going to ask about outcome yesterday. Glad the fuel pumps did the trick.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't help asking myself how that small village mechanic was able to replace the fuel filter of a Touareg just like that (first post) !! Anyone noticed this?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts