Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated!

My Heidi (I always name me cars) was running great as usual today. I stopped for gas and she suddenly had issues. She will start, but idles very rough and within 20 seconds dies. I had a mechanic look at it today. He replaced the fuel filter which was a bit dirty he said. He tested the fuel pumps and they work. He said the only codes he is seeing is the o2 lambda sensors. Problem is I live in a very small town (like 1 red light, no stores, less than 100 people town) so he admitted he really doesn't know anything about VWs and isn't sure about repairing it. So I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts before I have it took about 2 hours away to the closest dealer and pay more than Heidi is worth I am sure. (shh don't tell her I said that, she is sensitive)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Even an old school mechanic can test the exhaust and see if she's running rich or lean.

And all gas engines work the same way, regardless of heritage. ;- ) Test for fuel, air and spark. You need all three.

O2 sensors don't go out instantly. They usually fail over time. And even if they're unplugged, the engine should still run in some sort of "limp home" mode.

Does stomping on the pedal help it run a little longer? That could be a clue that it is running too rich. Or a host of other things, but it is a clue, at least.

Try finding an independent VW mechanic. That will be loads cheaper than the dealer. I think the dealers see "Touareg" and think all owners must be rich since they own one of these things. LOL!

And see my sig file. Now that I have one, I'm a firm believer that any Touareg owner should have VCDS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will pass along the information. I don't believe the local guy really wants to work on the VW or he is just trying to fool me since I am a semi-clueless girl. When I first called him yesterday he said he didn't know if he had the tools or testers to connect to a VW. Then he did work on it and told me the info I put up there. But he did call me sweetie, honey, and baby the entire time which is why I decided to post here. He does still have my precious Heidi. I told him that if he doesn't figure it out today, I'll have her took to the dealer. I just figure I might end up paying him more while he is guessing at it. I hate it, but I love my Heidi and am not ready to get another car.

On a side note - I have lurked here a while and I have learned so much. Thanks to this board I have been able to change my oil, change fuses, and I even replaced her clock spring. You guys and gals have make me look impressive! Thank You

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Unless this person knows you (or a family member) personally, he shouldn't be calling you that! Run and get your Touareg out of that idiots hands ASAP.

Evidently, you're not so clueless, after all! Even I had my clock spring (on another VW) changed by my mechanic because I needed the car back quickly and don't like messing with airbags.

If you are comfortable posting your location (region is fine, aka northern Illinois) perhaps someone can direct you to a good VW-friendly mechanic that they have used before. You need to find a mechanic that is not only competent but also respects you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just left the VW dealership. They are going to fix my girl up. My hubby went and had my girl towed this morning. We didn't even have the guy put back together the things he took apart. I will update when they let me know what the issue is.

As far as the clock spring goes, I am a librarian I am a firm believer if you can read, you can do anything. I followed the directions step by step and had no issues.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Our V6 displayed similar issues that I chased two new fuel pumps and filters into it and didn't fix.
It ended up being a engine speed sensor that hadn't thrown the check engine light on for.
I found it after scanning it with a real scan tool. My pocket scanner didn't pick up the code which lead me to testing fuel pressure and replacing fuel pumps and filters. Fuel pressure fluctuated because while cranking the pumps were being sporadically cycled when the engine speed sensor was intermittently working.

I recommend your vehicle be scanned with a professional grade scan tool or VCDS and proceed from there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Any help would be appreciated!

My Heidi (I always name me cars) was running great as usual today. I stopped for gas and she suddenly had issues. She will start, but idles very rough and within 20 seconds dies. I had a mechanic look at it today. He replaced the fuel filter which was a bit dirty he said. He tested the fuel pumps and they work. He said the only codes he is seeing is the o2 lambda sensors. Problem is I live in a very small town (like 1 red light, no stores, less than 100 people town) so he admitted he really doesn't know anything about VWs and isn't sure about repairing it. So I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts before I have it took about 2 hours away to the closest dealer and pay more than Heidi is worth I am sure. (shh don't tell her I said that, she is sensitive)
My bet is the fuel pump that is behind the drivers seat (access underneath rear seat) needs to be replaced. Actually surprised that the mechanic that knows nothing about. VW knew where to find the fuel filter, or that the car has two pumps. A bad or intermittent crankshaft sensor( vw calls speed sensor ) would normally stall the car but not cause a rough idle. It is possible but sounds like a faulty pump providing inadequate flow to the fuel rail during startup hence the rough idle then the stall. After pump behind drivers seat primes the fuel rail it runs the car for about 30 seconds. After that the second pump behind passenger seat runs the car. The pump behind the drivers seat also transfers fuel from the larger side of the tank to the smaller side of the tank as needed. A good dealer should square this away but like all things with the touareg any repair costs will be more than we like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just heard back from the dealer. They are replacing the throttle sensor and a vacuum line. They are not sure if that will fix it completely, because they can't test drive it in its current condition. So far I am looking at $1200. I am hoping that it does fix the problem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just heard back from the dealer. They are replacing the throttle sensor and a vacuum line. They are not sure if that will fix it completely, because they can't test drive it in its current condition. So far I am looking at $1200. I am hoping that it does fix the problem.
They must be replacing the throttle body connected to the intake manifold as the throttle position sensor is part of the gas pedal which doesn't cost anywhere near $1,200 and can be replaced in 15 minutes. If the throttle body was defective you should have an EPC light on the dash. It usually comes on when you start the car but goes off, however if there is a problem with the two throttle drive angle sensors in the throttle body the Electronic power control (EPC) light will stay on in the dash and car goes into limp mode, well if it will stay running, in your case. Suppose if the throttle control valve (butterfly valve) in the throttle body is not providing proper airflow suppose car could have the symptoms you indicated. The sensors do send a signal to the computer telling it the position of the throttle valve. VW does charge quite a bit for a throttle body but it is pretty easy to remove and replace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just got a call from VW. They replaced the throttle sensor and vacuum lines. They said that improved it, but has not fixed it. She stated that the technician had to call VW support and they are now helping him, because the computer is not giving another code. She said VW had them check the coils and plugs and something with the brake light. All of that checked out fine so now they are looking at the fuel pumps. I just want my Heidi back! I am driving a Chevy Cruz right now and it feels like I am in a toy car. I hate it!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well I just got a call from VW. They replaced the throttle sensor and vacuum lines. They said that improved it, but has not fixed it. She stated that the technician had to call VW support and they are now helping him, because the computer is not giving another code. She said VW had them check the coils and plugs and something with the brake light. All of that checked out fine so now they are looking at the fuel pumps. I just want my Heidi back! I am driving a Chevy Cruz right now and it feels like I am in a toy car. I hate it!
Still driving the Chevy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG yes I am still driving the Chevy! Here is a brief update so far -

* Had my Touareg towed to the dealership 2 weeks ago
* They said they found the problem and replaced the fuel throttle senor and vacuum hoses and cleaned the fuel system
*They called me last Tuesday and said it was fixed
*I went to the dealership after work, dropped off the crappy rental, gave them $1500 and picked up Heidi!
*I made it 1 block to the gas station. She ran smooth on empty just like before I gave it to them. I filled up the gas tank and she instantly died and started running crappy just like before. However, now she smells like gas so bad its hard to sit inside the car. I went straight back to the dealership.
* Now they have had her another week. They say that she is giving no codes and they can't find out what is wrong with her. I am hoping for some news soon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
OMG yes I am still driving the Chevy! Here is a brief update so far -

* Had my Touareg towed to the dealership 2 weeks ago
* They said they found the problem and replaced the fuel throttle senor and vacuum hoses and cleaned the fuel system
*They called me last Tuesday and said it was fixed
*I went to the dealership after work, dropped off the crappy rental, gave them $1500 and picked up Heidi!
*I made it 1 block to the gas station. She ran smooth on empty just like before I gave it to them. I filled up the gas tank and she instantly died and started running crappy just like before. However, now she smells like gas so bad its hard to sit inside the car. I went straight back to the dealership.
* Now they have had her another week. They say that she is giving no codes and they can't find out what is wrong with her. I am hoping for some news soon.
Sorry to hear. Wonder if the fuel filter flange assembly is leaking. The access panels to the fuel pumps are underneath the rear bench seat about the size of a pie tin. They seal real well however if fuel is leaking from the filter flange assembly which is directly under the access and sits above the fuel pump inside the tank you will smell it. Same is true for the pressure regulator assembly above the fuel pump on the passenger side of tank. Other possibility they messed with the assemblies and did not properly reseat or rolled the seals which would leak with a full tank. Never had any codes when I had fuel pump issues. Can't always rely on scanners, even top of the line to help solve all problems.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Great guide in the link. Probably the problem with yours. I never have bothered to remove the seats or brackets as shown. Guess it gives you more room but not necessary to access the pumps.
Yes, but I would be more comfortable removing leather seats then possibly getting gas on them by accident. Gas on the carpet (while not fun) would be cleanable. Gas on the seats... OMG!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suspect the "jam jar" o-ring that seals the tank has been deformed whilst re-installing and hasn't sealed the tank. Hence the gas has sloshed around and spilled out the top.

I recommend opening up the tank and check all the connections and replace the tank sealing rings.

Cheers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, but I would be more comfortable removing leather seats then possibly getting gas on them by accident. Gas on the carpet (while not fun) would be cleanable. Gas on the seats... OMG!
Never had an issue of gas spraying around, and normally siphon out the fuel into an appropriate storage container if replacing pumps. When replacing the fuel filter assembly, or pressure regulator assembly hardly have any fuel spillage. Also have found it easier to cut the line going to the other side, tying the new line to it and just pulling the old line from the other side. Many ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
. Gas on the seats... OMG!
???

Thought that happened damned near every day in most blokes' cars - especially after a good curry . . .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
9 Participants
TRespect
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing