Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom finally got rid of her 2000 Pathfinder (original owner w/200k miles) and picked up an 04 V6 on air suspension. It has 95k miles and is in pretty good shape.

When goin through it a couple weeks ago, I found that it had some rattling that could be heard from the top of the engine. After a couple searches, I came up with a common issue that the VR6 engine has... bad intake manifold bushings. They become worn to the point where the shifter rod rattles around inside the manifold.

Here's where I got some nice bushings...

http://www.gruvenparts.com/12v-and-24v-vr6-intake-manifold-bushings/

Here's a link that describes a great DIY...

http://www.gruvenparts.com/content/PDF/Shift_Rod_Bushing_Replacement.pdf

For the Touareg, the process is identical, except the fact we don't mess with the throttle linkage pieces. (Other than when you push the rod back in)

Here's what mine looked like...

The only thing I would note is that I added a lil bit of grease around the bushings, prior to the install. My first stab, I got hung up on the first runner. Once it was lubed up, I was able to get by and keep going.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yes. The VR6 has an intake manifold rod that changes the intake volume (for high or low revs). The V8 does it a different way and doesn't have the same problem.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good thread. Not heard of this issue before. Well done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back up, i just wondered if you removed the manifold to remove the rod or can you remove the rod without removing the intake manifold? Thank you

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to remove the manifold. Once you pull the end cap off, you just pull the rod straight out. It gets pretty tight, when you get to the end, due to the radiator support. But you can jack the motor up ever so slightly to get a better angle, if you have to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts