Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been asked to look at this vehicle, for a friend. I am an experienced shade tree mechanic of, well let's just say a very long time... I'm over 60 years old.
However, I have not done much work on VW's and have come to realize there are some things that are different on these vehicles than the normal "American Made" vehicles. Have said all of that, I'm just trying to double check with those that have more experience with VW an Audi engines to make this a little easier on me to locate items and procedures for R&R of items.
As stated above, this is a 2004 Touareg with a 3.2L engine code of BAA, with about 85,000 miles on it. Here are the codes I have pulled:
P0305
P0300
P0016
P0302
P0351
P0303
P0306 (Pending)

After much searching, I have found the Cam Position Sensor is located on the rear of the engine and will be looking at that tomorrow, to ensure it is clean and working. As this would cause all the other misfire codes.
Also will be looking into the P0351 "Ignition Coil "A" Primary Control Circuit Open" , however, would be helpful if I had some type of wiring diagram for this portion. I don't have a repair manual, as of yet.

I understand, this engine is prone to having stretched timing chain issues. Since the timing chain is located in the rear of the engine, is there a easy way to verify the chain is or is not stretched? Can you check the chain while the engine is in vehicle?
If the engine needs to be removed from vehicle, is there a good R&R sequence available for the removal? I am sure I don't have all the "special" tools recommended by VW, but I do have lifts and things that could be adapted to work (I hope). Like I said, I'm a shade tree mechanic, can adapt and overcome if required.

If you have any helpful suggestions or diagrams, please feel free to post. I will try to keep a log of items I am able to identify as faulty and possibly how I came to that conclusion. I do not like to throw parts at an engine or vehicle, try to identify faulty component or loose connection.

Thank you for taking time to read this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional question: Is this engine considered to be an "interference" type engine? If the timing chain has stretched, or jumped, what are the chances it has put pistons to valves?

Trying to get idea of how much work may need to be done to this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You haven't said which OBDII code reader you are using but there's really only one that gives the detail you need for working on the Touareg - VCDS from Ross-Tech:

Here's a thread on measuring timing chain stretch:

With the vehicle VIN number, a printer full of paper, an hour with no interruptions and your credit card to hand to pay the 7 euros [or 30 euros if you want to take all day!], go here to download everything you need to work on the Touareg:

This is the erwin "tour" to see what you'll get before you buy:

Here's a thread on all the other common issues:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Get the vcds cable first. Do a full scan and post it here. I have the european verion of that engine azz 3.2. You need to measure the chain before going for any parts.
There is an ongoing thread here which might give you some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
First thing which causes lots of headaches is the crumbling vacuum hoses and the cracked pcv diaphragm. 5m of 4mm silicone hoses and a 20$ pcv diaphragm will help a lot. Then the chain tensioner and the brake booster hose, speed sensor g28. These are common failure parts I’ve seen over here since buying mine 4 years ago. I can help with diagrams but the first important part you need is a vcds cable. That’s 199$ part that will help avoid guessing and help you troubleshoot issues for this treg and all other vw cars.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
You can check for chain stretch with VCDS. Essentially all engines for the last 30 years have been interference engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am/was using a BlueDriver OBDII scan tool. Looks like I will have to get a VCDS. Knew this was a possibility before I started this process.

I was pretty sure this was, as most engines are, an interference type engine; one can only hope.

I did pull the CMP's. As I understand it, the one on the passengers side of the engine is bank 1, intake, G-163; the drivers side is for exhaust cam, G-40.
Was hoping there was a method to bench test, or in car test these. They seem to be the same part number and look to be the same.
I am able to measure the connector, with the sensor unplugged and get: 5V from pin 1 -3 and 10.7V pins 2-3. However, I have not figured out how to trigger the hall effect of the sensors. With the sensors plugged in, I still have the 5V source voltage and the signal voltage on pin 2 seems to drop to 0V. This leads me to believe this is a pull up sensor. However, if I place a metal wrench in near proximity to the sensor, the signal voltage doesn't change on either sensor. Do I have two bad sensors? Not likely. Am I screwing the test procedure up? More likely....
In my mind, when the wrench is placed near the sensor, the signal voltage should rise to approximately 5V, remove wrench and it should return to 0V.

I did get a copy of the Service/Maintenance Manual edition 03/2018 (7803 pages) from EWin, but so far haven't been able to find a test procedure using just basic multimeter measurements or with the sensors out of the head.

I really believe, this is going to be a case of a stretched timing chain, just because to how it is running. All the manuals I have do not show a detailed breakdown sequence for disassembly or overhaul specifications of rebuild details for the engine or head. I am still trying to get used to how to use the electronic PDF copy I got, so may be missing all this somewhere. VW does break down their manuals a little different than I am used to.

Still looking for a good diagram of the vacuum lines, so I can trace those out in search of leaks, which I am sure there are some. I have already found several cracked plastic lines. What a good way to repair these? Do have to replace them or is the a cheaper method that works? I have place duct tape around a couple and it seems to be working for now, but may be a temporary repair.

Will be putting a VCDS on order today. Just need to decide on which one to get.

Okay, that is where I sit today. Sorry if this is a long read, trying to give enough information so you can give any assistance you may have.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
For vcds 3 vins this us enough:

Some info on the vacuum system here

You need 5meters of 4mm silicone hose and you ditch almost all the crumbling hoses except those that are of a bigger diameter.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
Drivers side is intake passenger side is exhaust.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
239 Posts
There is a lot of good information on the VR6 engine issues, repairs and rebuilds by the "humble mechanic" on YouTube who is a Golf R32 enthusiast and very experienced ex VW dealer technician,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"There is a lot of good information on the VR6 engine issues"
To clear my mind and some confusion that may or may not happen.... The vehicle tag states the engine installed in this Touareg is coded with BAA, which would make it a V6, not VR6, right? From what I have read there are differences in the two engines and I don't need to be chasing a problem or part that is on the VR6 and not on the V6.
If I am wrong in this train of thought, please let me know. If I have been chasing the wrong engine or if it doesn't really make a difference.... Well, it would be great to know.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
239 Posts
For Tregs in the USA the 3L diesel is a V6. The 3L petrol hybrid is a V6 ( not a VR6). The 3.2L and 3.6L petrol are VR6. The 4.2L petrol is a V8. I dont believe any other engine versions officially made it to the USA in Tregs

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did run the VIN on the VW site and it gave me the information of: 2004 Touareg 3.2L A/T V6 Sport Utility. However, you are saying the engine is really a VR6. Read somewhere that the V6 engine had two heads and the VR6 has one. So I will run with this being a VR6, until I find something to disprove that.

I did get my test of the Camshaft Position Sensor to work. I wasn't maintaining good contact with the conductors as I was back probing the connector. Plus you have to move a metal object (used a screwdriver) across the face of the sensor. If you do this, while measuring the signal wire, you will see an average voltage reading on the multimeter. Mine read around 5V, fluctuating to 0V. After doing this I am sure the sensors themselves are good.

Found someone had broken all the hold down clips off of the coil connectors, so will need to see if I can find replacements for those. Hoping I will not need to order the complete wiring harness and will be able to get just the plastic housing on the connectors.

Was trying to look up prices for parts, but I'm not having much luck finding parts online. Tried to sign up of the 7Zap site @TRespect referenced, but never got the email to finish registration, will try again. Had an account with BlauParts from an Passaut I replaced the timing belt and other things on. But was not able to find parts for the Touareg there. Even tried RockAuto and wasn't able to find what I was looking for there. So, where do I get parts, in the US? Has to be other options then the dealerships.

Was trying to see if there was a timing chain kit, or do you have to order each part? Not sure this is what is going to have to be done yet, but it is starting to point that way, since this seems to be a common problem with these engines.

I still need to make sure there aren't any more vacuum leaks. The engine runs rough at idle and does smooth out some at high RPMS. Haven't tried to drive it, I don't want to put any undo stress on the engine if the timing chain is loose and may skip a tooth or two.

Only get to work on this for a few hours, when I do make it out there. So it is a slow process to determining what NEEDS to be done.

Thanks for the input, I have read the links and watched the videos. Some I will have to go back and read again or watch again as I progress through this procedure. I do appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
When started from cold the engine rpm should go up to 1200 rpm for about 30 seconds then calm down to 720 or 680 rpm. This happens only when engine is cold.
You need to go over the all vacuum hoses and replace them. See my valve gasket replacement cover thread where I completely relocated the vac tank to make troubleshooting the solenoids easier. I did it on a friend’s treg too. There is plenty of space in the 3.2 engine bay.
Remove the PVC and open it up to check the diaphragm. See some pics in my 3.2 valve cover link. Be careful not to crack it. New one from vw is about 130/140$. If the pcv rubber diaphragm is torn you will have a vac leak and engine pressure regulation issues.
Make sure that when you start the engine the variable intake changeover valve is working. This is what is managing air flow to the engine based on engine rpm. It’s a bit different on the touareg where there are only to rpm ranges used: arm down when engine is stated meaning arm down from 0 to 4000 (4200 maybe) rpm and arm goes up from 4200 rpm to redline.
If this is not working like this you have a vac leak on the line or a solenoid issue.
I will post link later with videos.
You can use ecstunig site for parts. For critical parts I use vw. For other stuff I use brands which make parts for vw unless I can’t find a one then I go with a reputable aftermarket one. So there is vw, brands that make the same part for vw and brands that make compatible parts. Make sure you know what you’re getting.
Get the vcds cable first so we know what you’re dealing with. I also thought my chain was stretched and making a rolling marbles in a can noise but ended up being the variable intake shifter rod vibrating against the intake manifold walls. I’m still trying to find a definitive solution after I tried gruvenparts bushing for a year and the issue came back. See link bellow (rolling marbles)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Go through these links. I will be adding more later:

Pcv stuff is here:

Temp sensor and cooling system:

Intake should behave like this when you rev the engine:

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
I did run the VIN on the VW site and it gave me the information of: 2004 Touareg 3.2L A/T V6 Sport Utility. However, you are saying the engine is really a VR6. Read somewhere that the V6 engine had two heads and the VR6 has one. So I will run with this being a VR6, until I find something to disprove that.
You have a VR6 engine.

Reactions: HiDesertRat
1 - 20 of 49 Posts