Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Touareg has been a prime example of a great German machine. I’ve owned it almost five years and it’s needed nothing but tires, batteries, generator, and oil changes. That is until my driver side air bag blew out one day. It sat for months until I repaired. When I went to put it in my shop it had dead batteries. I jumped it and it sounded awful, strange growl and no response from accelerator pedal. I pulled in the shop and replaced the air bag along with the upper control arm. Once finished, I had trickled charged my truck batteries back to life. When started it made the same crazy sounds etc. I grabbed my schwabben and got busy looking at codes and clearing them etc.
I noticed I had glow plug lights flashing,
My ride height was flashing due to needing calibration which I corrected( this light went out)
Traction control light was on, which went off when I drove the truck straight for 50’ forwards and backwards.
The truck began to sound normal when I cleared some codes regarding turbo actuators.
Now my truck sounds normal without any CEL’s, that is until I turn it off and it starts all over again! I attempted to limp it 1/8mile across the field to my neighbors shop for assistance and it just lost power to the point that I put it in low range to move at a snails pace. Eventually it died and wouldn’t restart, cranks fine but not start. My neighbor pulled me home and I purchased new interstate batteries and installed. Before starting, I took my schwabben and cleared as many codes as I could. I noticed 15 relay no ground to the fuel pumps, glow plugs and all sorts of things. When cranking, it sounded out of fuel, so these Codes made sense. When I attempted to enter engine 11 and clear codes on that ecm, it couldn’t communicate or clear codes on this ecm. Can anyone help to point me in the correct direction??? I really appreciate anyone’s input.
best regards,
Marcus Coyle

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Start by getting VCDS and posting a full scan.
I'm not familiar with your "schwabben" or what it can do, but if you can extract whatever codes, post them up with as much details as possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by getting VCDS and posting a full scan.
I'm not familiar with your "schwabben" or what it can do, but if you can extract whatever codes, post them up with as much details as possible.
It’s a poor man’s code reader for VW’s/Audi’s, am not sure if I can post a full scan but I certainly can post the codes I’m getting. Thanks for your help.
Marcus

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Anything you post will be helpful... even if it's just pics of whatever the scanner shows you as codes\info\freze frame....
Without that, we have nothing.
Also post any details on known condition\issues\recent repairs leading up to this no start thing.

Can your tool read battery condition? Make sure you have good changed up batteries.
Do you know how to use "live data" to monitor crank speed? Or fuel pressure? Or crank voltage?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything you post will be helpful... even if it's just pics of whatever the scanner shows you as codes\info\freze frame....
Without that, we have nothing.
Also post any details on known condition\issues\recent repairs leading up to this no start thing.

Can your tool read battery condition? Make sure you have good changed up batteries.
Do you know how to use "live data" to monitor crank speed? Or fuel pressure? Or crank voltage?
I went down to my shop and grabbed the codes, expecting to easily find the definition for each code online. This doesn’t seem so, I’ll post the numbers but I’ll have to go back later and get the definition of each code to help others help me.
Engine 1
Will post images of the codes after lunch. My voltage was 12.39 which is a tad low, I’ll put it on a charger also. The vehicle was running a okay until it blew an air bag, and I let it sit for months without repairing. It ran great until the batteries went kaput, which is why I replaced them with new ones last week. I did a battery calibration last time I did batteries, this time I just replaced one battery at a time and didn’t recalibrate. I don’t believe this is my no start issue but don’t know anymore.
Marcus

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying that only the engine controller is reporting any faults?
Every other controller in the vehicle is happy and code free?
Lord no, I went thru the systems that will communicate! Some had codes like convertible top open and other silly codes that don’t apply to my issues. I’ve seen them before and it ran fine. Egr codes come up but it’s never cared in the five years I owned it. I’ll hook up the trickle charger and get a list of codes and definitions here shortly. I noticed on engine 1 when I cleared the codes with ignition on/ not running obviously. They returned instantly which isn’t normal.
Marcus

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
So this tool of yours believes your Touareg is a rag top? :unsure:
What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

EGR codes would be under the engine controller, so that's not something that would be listed under a different controller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this tool of yours believes your Touareg is a rag top? :unsure:
What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

EGR codes would be under the engine controller, so that's not something that would be listed under a different controller.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...fessional-vw-audi-scan-tool/007868sch01b~scf/ here is the tool I’m using, a friend is bringing me his Ross tech after work. I expect to get more detailed information from that system. For the most part my tool has been okay until now, it’s done battery resets, height calibration and more. This maybe crazy, but I see where ecms can lose their information in the case of a very low battery in operation. When it would start and sound awful, I could spend 10 minutes clearing codes via various channels. Engine1 and Engine 11 were the systems that always fixed the running issues, glow plug lights, and the vehicle would return to normal. Since it lost power and died crawling in 4wL to my neighbors. It just cranks like a madman and doesn’t start.
Marcus

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
According to that, it's a PRO tool and can do almost anything.... so do you know how to use it? Seems weird that with those kinds of claims\descriptions you are only able to clear codes and to get a code number without a description or freeze frame data.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to that, it's a PRO tool and can do almost anything.... so do you know how to use it? Seems weird that with those kinds of claims\descriptions you are only able to clear codes and to get a code number without a description or freeze frame data.
It says it’s a pro tool, but I have my reservations. I have five years of experience with using this tool on my Touareg and a GLi I had. It may do those features on newer machines, but always says function or feature not supported on my 2004 Touareg. My friends have 2006/2008 Touaregs v10’s and it does more on their machines than my own. I’ll admit that I don’t understand all the abilities of this tool, but it definitely isn’t from lack of trying.
Marcus

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your fans going to wide open plus computer codes make me suspect the grounds for the computers (one for both). Mine was a good 8 months out of the shop before it went koo koo and I found it had no nut on the ground post whatsoever. If yours is just not tight or slightly corroded it could match these symptoms. It's a royal pain to access unfortunately because the wiper arms have to come off to access them. But if the easy things aren't solving the problem then check it out.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Agree... injectors not firing could also be caused by the ECUs shared ground in the cowl, however I believe the intank pumps would still be active, even before we get to firing the injectors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts