Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 V8 came with non working NAV (missing DVD I guess, or expired).
Is it worth trying to 'activate' the build in NAV? Or is my cell phone's Google MAP miles (15 years) ahead of the factory unit, and by now so outdated, slow, cumbersome etc that its not worth it.

In this context: Is a clean (OEM like) back up camera solution available for the OEM radio?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
In 2004, you either had the factory radio or you had the cd nav system. That was the only option from VW.

The cd nav system would have came with the factory backup camera installed and working.

All you would need to get the nav to work would be to buy a copy of the cd that is needed for your region.

The camera should already be installed and working.

I see cd nav discs on ebay, used, in the twenty dollar range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thank you.
So backup camera should work without the NAV CD?
Have not managed to get it to work yet. In what setting (radio, nav, info, etc) does the radio have to be?

My original window sticker does NOT show the trailer hitch option, but car has the OEM hitch, module, etc. Could it be that in the process of installing the hitch afterwards something was changed?

It has the "Premium Plus Package" (includes, nav, xenon, convenience, air suspension, cd changer).
Also has Winter Package (heated steering, heated rear seats, ski bag).

·
Registered
206 Posts
In 2004, you either had the factory radio or you had the cd nav system. That was the only option from VW.

The cd nav system would have came with the factory backup camera installed and working.

All you would need to get the nav to work would be to buy a copy of the cd that is needed for your region.

The camera should already be installed and working.

I see cd nav discs on ebay, used, in the twenty dollar range.
My 04 has the cd nav system but i am sure it dos not have a back up camera.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I had a 2004. Every 2004 that shipped from the factory with nav had the backup camera. That was standard for 2004.

The only way you would not have it is if someone added the cd NAV afterwards.

If you look at the handle that opens the rear hatch, the camera is built into that handle. There is also a camera control module that plugs between the nav and the camera.

Click thumbnail for a bigger picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a 2004. Every 2004 that shipped from the factory with nav had the backup camera. That was standard for 2004.
My 2004 V10 TDI did NOT have a backup cam. It was an option.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Lolz. I can't answer this, even with the 2004 brochure.

Perhaps some did not have a camera. Look at the rear deck handle. That should settle the issue for each vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You might want to look for an android direct fit radio for the Touareg 2004/2005.

clubtouareg.com/forums/f90/new-android-6-0-aftermarket-navigation-radio-for-touareg

Be sure you get the 2004/2005 version. You will find the more common version only works to replace the DVD Nav. But, there should be a few of the older one's that would work on the CD Nav cars.

Those will use a standard aftermarket backup camera. If you want it to look factory, some of the sellers used to have a replacement rear deck handle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will do a physical check.
Nav factory installed on my car (have original sticker, came with premium plus package ($7,800), which includes Nav/sound system 11 375 Watt).

Scan shows (not sure if backup would show up with own module):

Address 37: Navigation Labels: 7L6-919-887-CD.lbl
Part No: 7L6 919 887 DX
Component: Navigation 0728
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 1F4C6E9BCDB36DB788-5140

No fault code found.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who has installed Android radios in the Touareg, replacing the factory unit?
Feedback/experience?
What units (link/source, make/model)?

PLUG AND PLAY a must (not messing with wiring, etc).

·
Registered
552 Posts
The 2004 CD-based Navi system was already obsolete in 2004. Even if it were decent, which it is not, maps are no longer current. My 2004 definitely did NOT have a built in back-up camera.

2004 does have the digital amp unique to that year. As others have noted, only certain aftermarket units will work (usually from China). For while there were some canbus cables that allow you to use a Kenwood or other HU (that is what I have). Those cables are unobtanium these days.

I did install an aftermarket camera although running the wires was a major PITA.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
717 Posts
It’s a fact that 2004 USA Touaregs did not have back up cameras. Retrofit kits were available but that has long dried up. The Navi it not good... I have never used it for directions but played with it a bit. I just use it as a input for my phone and use the speakers. Works well enough for me but I’m not super picky about sound as much as I am about keeping cars a stock as possible. Adding anything seems to cause more problems than it is worth...

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Aus build 2004 V10 also does not have a reverse camera. And just to confuse some more... It doesn't have the digital amp. Which turns out is a good thing for me as an aftermarket head-unit and speaker upgrade will go in much easier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Aus build 2004 V10 also does not have a reverse camera. And just to confuse some more... It doesn't have the digital amp. Which turns out is a good thing for me as an aftermarket head-unit and speaker upgrade will go in much easier.
My Aus build 2004 V10 also dose not have the reverse camera, how dose one know if you have the digital amp?

·
Registered
454 Posts
My Aus build 2004 V10 also dose not have the reverse camera, how dose one know if you have the digital amp?
Factory nav has digital amp. No nav = normal amp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not always Chewbakka. I have RNS2 CD Nav and no digital amp.

Vaughan,
Check your build list.

The codes below are what mine has.
(I'm unsure what the build code for the 111 speaker system is)

8AY = Radio/navigation system
8RV = 10 speakers (passive)

·
Registered
206 Posts

Vaughan,
Check your build list.

The codes below are what mine has.
(I'm unsure what the build code for the 111 speaker system is)

8AY = Radio/navigation system
8RV = 10 speakers (passive)
RV
Yeah mine is the same 8AY and 8RV

·
Registered
454 Posts
Interesting. Back when I had my 2004 V10 with CD Nav and was looking to upgrade, all my research pointed to the factory nav cars having the digital amp. Perhaps it was a NAR/ROW thing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah it could be. I tried to find a brochure for Australia to see what options were standard but no luck yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
PJMax
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing