Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Calling all 09D transmission experts. What is this nasty noise that my transmission is making?

New VB installed by dealer a few years back but less than 5k kms on it since. This sounds had been here since the VB change but moved shortly after and never had the chance to get it back to the same dealer.

Checked the ATF level with the pump-in system and all seems fine.

Have a listen and let me know if anyone has heard this before please.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than the occasional 1 to 2 slam its no crappier than any other Touareg I have read about.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
pin point the sound. It could even be the starter bendix that is stuck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sound is notably different when placed in drive or tiptronic 1st and revving a little with the brakes applied.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cavitation in the ATF ???

I was outside trying to get a better idea of where the sound is coming from and I am nearly 100% sure it's the transmission.

I am trying to figure out what work is done when the VB is changed. Obviously the last step is reinstalling the filter and an o-ring that has to be in straight.

If there were a leak in the pickup that allowed air to enter would this cause foaming and cavitation of the ATF? This is the sound I am trying to describe.

Imagine a drinking straw with a crack half way between your mouth and the top of the fluid. When you draw fluid up the straw with suction you also draw in air (venturi effect) and this causes the fluid to become full of bubbles. This also causes a hissing type of noise as the air is infused into the liquid.

Is this a plausible theory? Is there anywhere a valve body job can go wrong that would create this type of issue?

On a final note, I ran the rpms up a little in gear to heat up the fluid some then I checked the temperature on each side of the thermovalve on the ATF cooler to ensure that it was open. Both in and out hoses were equally hot to the touch so I am concluding that this valve is opening. While my hand was on the ATF rubber hose I could feel thumping like that of air bubbles running though the fluid. When I did try to add fluid with the engine running the fluid that came back out as overflow was covered in small bubbles. Is this normal?

Is this a possibility? Could the system be drawing air into the fluid before the pump?

Darren

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Sounds plausible. Best you drop the pan and check the VB pickup seals and o-rings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, That's my next plan of attack. I started it again today cold and realized that in the first 30 seconds or so the sound is not there. If i understand correctly there is a least 3 litres of extra fluid in the pan when the engine is not running. This means that the seal may be under the fluid level when cold and then over the fluid level and sucking in air when it is above the fluid level??

I'll crack it open later today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bingo !!

A picture is worth a thousand words!!! I'm sure my transmission has loved pumping fizzy fluid for the last five years.

I won't name the VW dealership but this is the quality of work you can expect out of some VW dealerships.

See picture attached. I don't want to know where the rest of my o ring is stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Oh dear! That is just terrible. I would take pictures and send them an email with the original job card. Copy in everybody you can find on the VW website.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed

ATF in all noise gone. Sounds like new. I can actually hear the roar of the 4.2 again. It's been a long five years.

Now we'll see if it holds up on the road.

The VB is not very old so I am wondering of the occasional shift flare from 1st to 2nd was caused by cavitation in the fluid.

I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just drove from Toronto to Vancouver (3800km). The transmission shifted like new and didn't miss a single shift. Nice fix after five years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too had this same problem. It started when I serviced my transmission a couple of weeks ago and ever since then its been making a whining noise that varies with engine speed. It reminds me of a 90's ford power steering pump. I also had a couple hard 1-2 up shifts. Re-dropped the pan today and found that the o ring was mangled. Replaced the o ring and its much quieter and shifts much better.

My 2¢... It seems easier for the o ring to get cut up if you put it on the filter first then stick the filter+o ring into the transmission body. This is due to some pretty sharp angles on the transmission body around the filter insertion point. The better way is to put the o ring in the transmission body first (there is even a lip to hold it) then slide the filter into it. The filter has much smoother angles than the transmission body and slips right in.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Age issue?

Hi

Glad I found your post dihmels. And I´m glad to hear that your V8 now drivers and sounds as it schould.
My gearbox makes that sound also.
It began at around 150000km. Bought the car at 140000km and because it has been regularely serverd by VW I don´t think the ATF´s ever been changed.
I´ve now changed the oil and the shifting went slightly smoother but sound is still there. A new filter is ordered and I plan to to a change it next week. Hopefully it´s the same issue as yours.
I wonder if the seal maybe gets dry and crack with age?

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Outcome

Hi again

Changed filter. Carefully placed seal in trans and mounted filter.
Cleaned sump and magnets.
Filled oil. Started and topped up until it began to pour out. Plugged at 30*C.

Now the whining is certainly less then before, but its still there.

The old filter was really dirty. Not to talk about the magnets. They had a thick layer of slur. But the seal looked alright to me.

Perhaps my oilchange a month ago made some old slur loosen and find its way to the sump and clogged the filter.
I'll try an oilchange again soon. Hopefully it gets better.

Do you know if there's a vent or "breather pipe" for the transmission? Or will it get pressurized when oil expands with temperature?

BR

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Touareg sold. Miss it dearly but my Passat TDI is much better on the fuel usage. Transmission never had a shift issue for me post-oring change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
dihmels
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing