Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 touareg 4.2 dont crank at all ive tried jumping it at the relay still nothing i got someone in the car to crank while i bang the starter now i got a click from it motor is not seized i have turned it by hand. So im 99% its the starter.
Dealer told me its 13.3 hrs to replace it engine has to come out halfway
My question is. Is there anyway i can cheat this ?
Anyone out there changed a starter in one of these?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your starter may not be the problem. Your kessy module might be the culprit. You'll get the same symptoms just like you described. The way you can tell is if you disconnect the negative battery, right under the drivers seat and under the carpet for an hour. After that hour is up, reconnect it, tighten it down, and try to start the truck. If it cranks or starts, then your kessy module is the problem. Even if it doesn't crank, there's a 1% chance it's still the kessy module. However, it's safe to assume starter at that point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
Yeah i seen problems with that and also the ignition switch module.
But i did ended up changing the starter.
The actual problem was actually the starter nut came loose for the starter motor from the solenoid to the motor NOT the B+ cable and NOT the solenoid wire.
It was arcing every time starter trys to engage but you couldn't see the terminals at the starter at all since the exhaust manifold was covering up most of it.
Also i found out you DON'T need to drop the engine or transmission.
I took out the right side exhaust manifold, right side CATs, right side air cleaner/box,coolant pipe that runs along right side head, front propeller shaft you need to drop the trans support bar for that, and right side engine mount and bracket. You will need some sort of engine support for that.
It took me about 11-12 hrs with skinny and long arms this job will make it easier. Hope this helps for the next guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I too just got killed by a 2005 4.2 V8 Starter. Worst job I have EVER done on ANY car. Honestly, I am now questioning whether I ever buy another VW. Who would design this? 169,000 miles, but starters eventually fail!!!! No lie, Started the project in July, finished in Dec.... Managed to do it (blindly) reaching both as far up from the bottom, and as far down from the top as possible. Did it without taking out the engine, (but eventually have to jack engine about 2 feet up out of the engine bay) No short cuts possible... *not in order....of removal Air Cleaner, Air cleaner backing housing, Tire, Wheel well, coolant pipe (which necessitates a change of coolant) exhaust manifold, lead cat exhaust pipe, transmission mounting bracket (have to support transmission), front driveshaft, motor mount, bracket which holds motor to motor mount, and finally...... the starter. Boy was I relieved when the no crank no start condition was found.... after all this. I pulled fuel pump relays (so car would not start and rock engine off my jack). Hearing the new starter turn was the best sound in the world, and then about a week of reassembly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There's an easier way...

- Disconnect battery
- Support front end with jack stands on the lift points
- Remove both front tires
- Remove passenger wheelwell liner
- Remove passenger airbox
- Remove lower splash shields
- Support engine with an engine support bar via front hole in passenger cylinder head
- support subframe with jack and remove 4 subframe bolts, lower and allow it to hang
- Remove remaining 2 engine cradle bolts from chassis
- Remove top engine mount nuts, cradle will drop some
- unhook power steering line from engine cradle on driver side
- remove 4 (2 each) engine mount bolts holding mounts to cradle and wrangle mounts out of cradle.
- Wrangle cradle out (this is tricky, but possible)
- disconnect all wiring from alternator
- remove ground cable from passenger engine mount bracket and chassis
- remove passenger engine mount bracket bolts (3)
- remove starter + cable
- remove lower starter bolt
- remove upper starter bolt (from transmission side. Easiest with about 2-2.5 foot extension up between trans and front prop shaft)
- pull starter out for access to solenoid wire
- remove solenoid wire
- done.

I just did this after work this evening in my driveway. 3.5 hours start to finish, not counting time to put my tools away after.

Starter motor is stuck, solenoid works fine. I'll disassemble it tomorrow and see what's up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any update with pictures? I'm having the exact same no start issues and I'm fairly certain it's stater related. I hope it is because I ran out of other good solutions.

Btw, died anyone know where the starter relay is and all the grounding points are so I can check those too?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Joshua - thank you!!!

I started along your instructions and went on a slightly different path. I dropped the subframe, had to remove both air boxes, and removed upper engine mount nuts. This gave me enough room to shove the engine cradle back and forth (the rubber mounts were seized to the cradle) to remove right engine mount bracket. Removed wiring from alternator, removed 2 starter bolts as per your instructions, disconnect wired from starter and out it came.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Went through same no crank issue, which was intermittent, so dealer had car for 2 months trying to duplicate and track error. Service manager would hide whenever I walked in the door to track progress. Finally, got fed up and told them to replace starter. Convinced them not to pull engine and I provided similar off the web instructions to tech. Fixed problem.

How a Touareg is built. Step one: throw starter on conveyor belt. Steps 2-n: add parts and assemble car. Evil engineering.

I can see the designers joking at Octoberfest about the poor suckers who have to change the starter.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

I've always maintained that there should be an international law that sets out some basic maintenance tasks, determines a fixed set of readily available cheap tools and requires the car designer to go into a sealed room and perform those tasks in a fixed time like, 5 minutes to change a headlight bulb in total darkness with all the lights turned off and the fire sprinklers going, 15 minutes to replace the alternator belt, 30 minutes to change the alternator or starter, and so on. You get then general idea.

At the end of each test the designer comes out of the room and his hands are inspected for cuts and scrapes [no gloves allowed].

The tape is checked for swearing too.

If he fails the time or the task and swears or barks his knuckles, the car has to go back for a re-design!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone here in the northeast that would want to take this job on for my ‘05? I’ve called a couple of indy VW/Audi guys that don’t want to touch it because it’s a pain in the butt to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts