Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropping this here to share - I'm putting this 3/4" birch laminated subwoofer together that should, in theory, be an ideal enclosure with 5" walls - glued, screwed and sealed. I'll drop a note when I complete it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow! I want this for my 08!!!! Can you make me one?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In truth, it would not be economical for you considering the size (23") and weight. My router died and I had to find a guy to cut the birch plywood for me on my driveway with detailed instructions all the way - it took him forever and he also charged $300 for 5 hours work - this should have been very quick with no splintering of the wood but of course midway through he broke his bit and had to get creative.

It's an easy build as follows:

9" well depth - 23" well diameter

(12) - 3/4" Birch Plywood Disks produced from (2) 48"x96" Plywood Sheets
Titebond III
Course Sheet Rock screws

You can build this yourself for under $150 if you have a router.

My setup is based on the JL 10W6v3-D4 which requires .55 cu.ft. internal sealed volume so your configuration may vary depending on your needs (dimension of subwoofer).

Have Fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Closing in on the completion of this project - just rubberized first coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - the true test is obviously how well it dampens harmonics - which won't occur right away as the door speakers, head unit and amp all have to be integrated into the solution - this is a great prep job until enough money is saved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly not the prettiest ... but then again some things are meant to be heard and not seen. The perfectionist in me wants to refinish it since the rubberized coating will scuff off but then again perhaps Elvis has left the building already - so I'll call this done once I get the heavy duty speaker terminals and 8ga wire. I sure hope it sounds better than it looks!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts